Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3 tracks with no silence between (Read 22223 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3 tracks with no silence between

Reply #25
I was using a OGG files.

As I mentioned the gaps are miniscule but they do still exist.  Sounds like a crunch when it moves onto the next song in a dj mix.

Don't want to sound like I'm moaning as I already prefer Foobar to any other media players as it simply just straight up plays music and doesn't seem to use up any of my system resources either which is a big plus. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255853"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There must be something wrong with your setup or your files or whatever. Are they from the same CD? If yes, then there shouldn't be any gaps.

Reply #26
Or maybe they're transcoded from mp3s?
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #27
I hear everyone saying that Foobar is gapless by default but I have just downloaded and installed and there are still gaps between tracks.  They are no where near as bad as the gaps I was hearing in Winamp but they are still there.  

Is there a setting I can change in order to correct this problem?  Except for this little hickup Foobar seems to be a great music player.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255630"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Click on preferences under the Foobar2000 menu (top left), scroll down on the left to DSP Manager under Playback, and add Gap Killer to the Active DSPs window.  In its default state, gap killer removes gaps up to 2 seconds, which sounds weird on studio CDs.  I suggest tweaking it down to 250 ms -- this kills the gaps for most live rips and is not missed with studio tracks (IMO).

Reply #28
Gap killers (edit: or crossfaders) aren't perfect, and they aren't needed for file formats that store gapless information with the file.

The ideal solution is to only use gapless files, and a player that knows how to make use of them properly.

edit: Oh, and gapless output needs to be used too.

Reply #29
You don't need the gap killer on files that are already gapless.  Its at best going to do nothing, and at worst it could actually mess things up.

Reply #30
Using Winamp it's not only the output plugin you need to change. I use MAD input plugin in conjunction with MP3Splice and it is the best gapless I have come across (Across a whole range of MP3's Lame or not). It even beats foobar2000 on some stuff. That's not to say that foobar2000 is not good at what it does of course.

Reply #31
What about a Linux gapless player? Which players for Linux can do gapless playback of properly ripped and LAME encoded MP3s? Thanks in advance. (I'm not looking for a crossfade plugin of any type.)