Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which LAME preset do you use for the majority of your encoding?

standard / -V 2
[ 126 ] (66.7%)
-V 1
[ 4 ] (2.1%)
extreme / -V 0
[ 23 ] (12.2%)
insane / 320 CBR
[ 8 ] (4.2%)
something else (medium / -V 3)
[ 28 ] (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 247

Topic: LAME Encoders - Which alt-preset (Read 25084 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME Encoders - Which alt-preset

EDIT: The use case would be encoding albums.  As Digga mentioned, you might use a different preset for other applications (which might be a topic for another poll, but not this one ).

A brief note on why you choose the one you did and what type of music you genearlly listen to would be helpful.

Thanks!

Reply #1
I edited the poll, so it applies to LAME versions newer than 3.95 as well.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
I voted aps.
however, for me it depends heavily on the purpose.
--> what about other presets, cbr and abr?!

- aps for album / song rips from CD
- ap cbr 128 or ap cbr 160-192 for DVD rips (1CD or 2CD)
- ap 160 for most friends with tight space.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #3
I voted aps.
however, for me it depends heavily on the purpose.
--> what about other presets, cbr and abr?!

- aps for album / song rips from CD
- ap cbr 128 or ap cbr 160-192 for DVD rips (1CD or 2CD)
- ap 160 for most friends with tight space.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285760"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry Digga, I think what you I should do is limit the application, i.e. for song/album rips.

Thanks for the useful info on how you use your presets!

Edit: Changed using info to useful info

Reply #4
Sorry Digga, I think what you I should do is limit the application, i.e. for song/album rips.
then it would be good idea to indicate that in the thread title 
EDIT: The use case would be encoding albums. As Digga mentioned, you might use a different preset for other applications (which might be a topic for another poll, but not this one wink.gif).
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #5
I usually encode with --preset extreme.  It's probably excessive if one considers my hearing abilities (average), my taste in music (mostly J-Pop, especially the fluffy variety), and my audio equipments (iPod or a pair of $50 computer speakers).

I reckon that even --preset medium would probably be acceptable to me, but hey HD space is cheap.  And one never knows; I may win the lottery tomorrow which would allow me to buy better speakers...
When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it’s longer than any hour.  That’s relativity.
-- Albert Einstein

Reply #6
then it would be good idea to indicate that in the thread title 

Is there anyway for me to edit the poll title?  Seems that I can only edit my post, not the poll.

Thanks!

Reply #7
3.97 alpha (latest version) '-V 4 --vbr-new' for my H120 iRiver portable.

Reply #8
3.96.1 -V4 --vbr-new for my zen touch dap.

Reply #9
Just got a 60g iPod Photo and am slowly ripping my 600+ CD collection to MP3.

Currently using EAC w/ LAME 3.90.3 with standard.

I had done a few dics with 3.96.1 and standard but after reading the recommendation of the forum, I went to 3.90.3 as the indication was the standard preset had better quality in 3.90.3. 

I'm curious as to how much better quality standard in 3.90.3 might just really have, because the average filesize was about 1.0 to 1.5 megs less using standard in 3.96.1

I figured standard was a good way to only have to do this once for many many years (I hope).  I did not feel like spending the cash for HDD space to FLAC everything to save myself some ripping time in the future if I want to re-encode with something better.  Afterall, only reason I got an iPod is because it was a gift, so by the time I may buy a new portable media device, I figure the average HDD size will easily be 120gigs or more and they will play FLAC or whatever the lossless compressed format is of the day and it won't be an issue about loosing quality and all these crazy encoder settings.

Reply #10
I'm curious as to how much better quality standard in 3.90.3 might just really have, because the average filesize was about 1.0 to 1.5 megs less using standard in 3.96.1
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285921"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it would be interesting to see a listening test for this.

Given that you have an iPod, why did you choose MP3 over AAC. I'm in the midst of deciding this myself (MP3 standard vs AAC128 VS AAC192)?

Thanks!

Reply #11
3.96.1 --alt-preset standard
probably a little bit of overkill but that's ok

Reply #12
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285921"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it would be interesting to see a listening test for this.

Given that you have an iPod, why did you choose MP3 over AAC. I'm in the midst of deciding this myself (MP3 standard vs AAC128 VS AAC192)?

Thanks!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285931"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Opted for MP3 for the more universalness of it, but in reality, I'd probably stick with iPod type devices in the future, so it's kind of a moot point.  I think I ultimately did it because MP3 is just what everyone knows.

Good news is, iTunes rips to AAC waaaaay faster then EAC + LAME on my current DVD drive, so if I want to go AAC in the future, it won't take nearly as long.

If I remember correctly (Read a lot on here today before making my choices) AAC128 was comparable to MP3 192 CBR.  Given that I'm using VBR with standard preset, I could have saved space and gotten a similar type of quality with AAC 128 or AAC 160, but I wasn't overly concerned with the space, I have 60g afterall and will not put 100% of my collection onto the iPod.

Reply #13
I use "--alt-preset standard" with LAME 3.90.3 for my albums. These encodes I mostly listen to on my Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (20 gigs), which can hold about 3,000 songs with this setting, which is just about how many songs I have total when all said and done... Although APS is probably too much for my listening conditions (pretty good headphones (Sennheiser HD-555s) in a noisy environment =/) but it comes in handy when I hook it up to my stereo or listen in a quiet environment...

Reply #14
I mostly use mp3s for friends and then I use LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard.  I pretty much don't use mp3 for anything else anymore.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #15
I listen to all music except hip-hop/rap.  APS works fine for me on my computer.  When I get my stereo set up again I will see how the MP3's sound on it.  If they sound fine, I will continue with APS.  Or, just play the CD on my very old ReVox CD player (1983). 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #16
I used to use APS, but I am considering dropping down to -V3 or -V4 to save on space and because I doubt that I could hear the difference now*.

*[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']It looks like I might have damaged my left ear after an injury received last year.[/span]

Reply #17
-V4 --vbr-new, aka --preset fast medium

good enough for me.

Reply #18
LAME 3.97 latest alpha V4-vbr new
Souds awesome to me. I cannot tell it from my old -aps encodes.

Gabriel really deserves the highest props.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #19
Good news is, iTunes rips to AAC waaaaay faster then EAC + LAME on my current DVD drive, so if I want to go AAC in the future, it won't take nearly as long.

yea...try EAC in burst mode...the reason why EAC is slower is because it makes sure your rips will be as perfect as possible...

If I remember correctly (Read a lot on here today before making my choices) AAC128 was comparable to MP3 192 CBR.  Given that I'm using VBR with standard preset, I could have saved space and gotten a similar type of quality with AAC 128 or AAC 160, but I wasn't overly concerned with the space, I have 60g afterall and will not put 100% of my collection onto the iPod.

read again... http://www.rjamorim.com/test/multiformat128/results.html
also, it's hard to compare two different codecs...but AAC 192kbps could be roughly compared to mp3 preset standard...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #20

yea...try EAC in burst mode...the reason why EAC is slower is because it makes sure your rips will be as perfect as possible...

And if you use Burst mode AND Test and Copy onEAC, you get fast rips that are also secure (that is, if the CRC's match). I rip a 60 minute CD in less than 5 minutes this way.

I only use secure if I can't get a matching CRC after three tries
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #21
i would use aps

Reply #22
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

also, just so you know, you can use [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29821&hl=otto42+itunesencode]itunes encode[/url] to create quicktime (itunes) acc files. 
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #23
--alt-preset standard. All above that is overkill and just wasted diskspace in my eyes. Don´t understand those guys who use --alt-preset insane. 320 kbps is far too high for a lossy file!
Btw: The generating of CRC-checksums seems to be broken in both 3.90.3 and 3.96.1. At least with the formerly mentioned presets I get very often a wrong CRC for the last frame (checked by the utility MP3Test).
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #24
I use --alt-preset cbr 128, --alt-preset cbr 160 or --alt-preset cbr 192, for maximum compatibility with hardware players.

When I want something just to sound good for playaback on the computer, I use --alt-preset standard or I use a different format altogether, such as Ogg Vorbis.