Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Itunes 7 released (Read 54389 times) previous topic - next topic

Itunes 7 released

Reply #25
Naah, it's not worth the bother... I'll stick to Cover Art Downloader! 
In any case I don't like the fact that I can't download because I don't use the iTunes store.
Maybe I don't buy the songs but I'm an iPod owner, and thus Apple's paying customer!

Itunes 7 released

Reply #26
Some people seem to be having audio issues with the new iTunes/Quicktime on Windows. For some this is resolved when changing Quicktime settings from 24bits to 16bits mode. http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?...3107876#3107876

Does this mean iTunes has 24bit output by default? Is that since iTunes 7?
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Itunes 7 released

Reply #27
I very much enjoy the new iTunes 7.
* The cover art funtion is just great. It makes it so easy to navigate your music archive.
* About time it got gapless playback as well.

Sample shot:

Itunes 7 released

Reply #28
iTunes 7 is worse than the version 6:

The GUI visual is darker and harder to navigate.

It is "heavier" in your computer resources than version 6.

The "cover flow" feature doesn't work if you don't register for the iTunes store.

Songs started to skip during play back. I had to uninstall it.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #29
it's obviously a matter of personal opinion ...

i like it much better

on the contrary, i feel it much more responsive

The "cover flow" feature doesn't work if you don't register for the iTunes store.

register with it then

don't have that problem

Itunes 7 released

Reply #31

it's obviously a matter of personal opinion ...

don't have that problem

Skiping songs are obviously not a matter of personal opinion. It looks like Apple is starting to drop the ball.

Something about an Audigy soundcard issue I believe for the skipping. Set Quicktime to 16 bits, 44.1kHz and that may help. See Apple discussion forum threads for resolution ideas for your skipping problem. Hopefully a new iTunes release will fix it for everyone.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #32
Skiping songs are obviously not a matter of personal opinion. It looks like Apple is starting to drop the ball.
i meant that it pleayed ok on my 4 pcs.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #33
The lag people feel upon installing it for the first time is just Itunes searching for cover art and catalouging it for the cd rack-like interface. After that, it actually takes up less resource than iTunes 6! And is not laggy anymore. So 1st time installers, bear with it while it scans your voluminous collection

Itunes 7 released

Reply #34
The biggest problem I'm having with it is no sound in the rear channel of my 4.1 apeakers.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #35
Carlcamper
The lag people feel upon installing it for the first time is just Itunes searching for cover art and catalouging it for the cd rack-like interface. After that, it actually takes up less resource than iTunes 6! And is not laggy anymore. So 1st time installers, bear with it while it scans your voluminous collection

Don't know about that but mine will not speed up.  It is always constantly slow, it constantly forgets my setting in each window (yes I have turned the remeber view setting on) and it keeps on making my music slow and stutter.  itunes 6 was better.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #36
Also the lag from the first startup or two is from iTunes detecting gapless playback for each track.

Large collections = long time before iTunes is done its work. Just be patient.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Itunes 7 released

Reply #37
Well they don't verify it per se, but they ask for a credit card wich I unfortunatly don't have.

I think you can just register with your apple id, which does not require a credit card...

Itunes 7 released

Reply #38
I can't believe all the complaints I keep reading about the software. In my own experience with it on a Windows XP PC, and my G5 Mac at work, it is more responsive, more attractive, and many times better than any prior iTunes in many different little ways.

It was a HUGE update. Almost nothing remained untouched, so I don't doubt that some people are having issues, but I think every area in which it is improved is an important one, and we should be thrilled that Apple has continued to work so hard on a product that is already considered the market leader (that's rare).

Even little things like response time when resizing the window are vastly improved in my own experience. I used to move my mouse and wait for the window to catch up. Now it's fluid.

Also, I don't know what people are talking about with the whole 'having to register' with iTunes to use Cover Flow. That's simply not true. If you have album art on your music cover flow will use it. Auto-downloading from the iTunes store requires an account, but does not require that you buy anything. And there are a million other ways to get art. Personally, I scanned all of mine because I wanted it to be a uniform size and quality. (467 x 467 pixels at q-90 Jpeg w/ Gimp).

I hope Apple sees good comments like this along with all the whining and inaccurate accounts of how this product 'fails'. Seems like most people really don't understand the software and were just ready to complain from the moment they installed. It must really suck for them to have worked so hard on something just to hear people complain.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #39
Adjusting Creative and/or Quicktime sets does not fix the skipping problem. Many people that say they solved the problem this way will find out that this problem is intermittent and will return.

Solution: uninstall this s**t.

Apple is dropping the ball. As days go by iTunes looks more and more like Windows Media Player.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #40
I like all the changes so far for the most part. A couple of other things I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned yet:
  • Inline field editing (as opposed to having to edit via "get info" context menu)
  • Ratings require an extra click. This I don't like. Now to rate a song, it has to be selected. So one click to select it, one click to rate it.
  • Playlist songs (regular, not smart) can be put in a specific order. I recall that used to be impossible before, instead having to sort by a particular column.
The cover downloader would be cool if it didn't require a damn credit card to use it. That's just ridiculous.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #41
I like all the changes so far for the most part. A couple of other things I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned yet:
  • Inline field editing (as opposed to having to edit via "get info" context menu)
  • Ratings require an extra click. This I don't like. Now to rate a song, it has to be selected. So one click to select it, one click to rate it.
  • Playlist songs (regular, not smart) can be put in a specific order. I recall that used to be impossible before, instead having to sort by a particular column.
The cover downloader would be cool if it didn't require a damn credit card to use it. That's just ridiculous.

Inline field editing has been in iTunes since iTunes 1.  Ditto for manual ordering of regular playlists.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #42
Adjusting Creative and/or Quicktime sets does not fix the skipping problem. Many people that say they solved the problem this way will find out that this problem is intermittent and will return.

Solution: uninstall this s**t.

Apple is dropping the ball. As days go by iTunes looks more and more like Windows Media Player.

Seing as dropping the ball has been mentioned so many times, let's use another word.  I think Apple got lazy.  Yes, the extra features are nice and they were needed in iTunes.  Both the iPod and iTunes needed gapless playback, iTunes needed the ability to download cover art since every other mainstream meadia jukebox had the ability (WMP, MusicMatch, etc.).  I think the two extra browsing modes are nice but I will continually use the list mode.

iTunes 7 actually runs smoother than iTunes 6 did on my notebook which runs Windows Vista RC1, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, and a 2GHz Pentium M processor.  It actually takes up less resources to run iTunes 7 on my notebook than it did to run iTunes 6.  Then again, this might have been a incompatibility with iTunes 6.  My desktop is a totally different story.  My desktop has a extremely old Pentium 4 processor at 2GHz with 256MB of DDR ram and Windows XP Pro.  iTunes 7 is a extreme resource hog on my desktop.  Before, iTunes 6 would use about 18% of my memory and 20% of my processor.  Now, iTunes 7 uses 34% of my memory and 21% of my processor (mainly a memory hog).  Additionally, my desktop cannot play any videos through iTunes what so ever.  It can play them but it just doesn't have the hardware to effectively play them.

As for the audio issue, my notebook never had it.  My desktop did, iTunes 7 would not play any tracks (purchased or ripped).  The timer would start at 0:00 but it would never move.  I actually uninstalled iTunes 7 (also removing any temporary files and registry entries).  I then installed iTunes 6 and the audio issue was till there.  Even more strange was that my computer no longer played audio through any program (WMP, foobar2000, etc).  I then upgraded back to iTunes 7 and everything worked just fine.

As far as iTunes 7 looking more like WMP, I don't think this is really true.  Yes, WMP11 and iTuens 7 look similar but I think that both companies were separately building their software.  On the othe rhand, is WMP looking more like iTunes or is iTunes looking more like WMP?

Anywho, this update to iTunes is nice for my desktop but not really so with my desktop.  I mainly use my notebook for audio purposes anyways so it doesn't really matter for me but it is still a pain not to use my desktop which runs other apps just fine (word, EAC, Lame, FireFox, WMP11, etc.).

Itunes 7 released

Reply #43

Well they don't verify it per se, but they ask for a credit card wich I unfortunatly don't have.

I think you can just register with your apple id, which does not require a credit card...

what's an apple ID?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Itunes 7 released

Reply #44
When I say it looks like Windows Media Player I don't mean it's appearance. I mean that iTunes is a bloated resource hog as much as Windows Media Player.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #45
I discovered an annoying bug in iTunes 7 today. The damn thing will no longer allow you to drag cover art for multiple items. You can only do one at a time now. This is quite irritating, particularly when you're trying to add art to hundreds of albums (as I've been doing today). No previous version of iTunes ever had this bug.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using:

iTunes 7.0
OS X 10.4.7
iMac G5 2.1 GHz

Itunes 7 released

Reply #46
When I say it looks like Windows Media Player I don't mean it's appearance. I mean that iTunes is a bloated resource hog as much as Windows Media Player.

What happened with the good old days when you could just:

cat *.wav > /dev/audio

shortest playback program ever.

Seriously, all those features take up resources...It's normal and to be expected...

Itunes 7 released

Reply #47
iTunes 7 is worse than the version 6:
That is certainly a matter of personal opinion...

A bit darker it is, but I think it looks great. And imo it is just as easy to navigate as iTunes 6.

Might be.
At least I have not noticed this on my 1.5GHz PowerBook with 1GB ram. Its just as smooth as ever.

So register then!

iTunes 7 have been playing for 40-50 hours here, and not heard a single skip.
Might be something on your side.

Itunes 7 released

Reply #48
I discovered an annoying bug in iTunes 7 today. The damn thing will no longer allow you to drag cover art for multiple items. You can only do one at a time now. This is quite irritating, particularly when you're trying to add art to hundreds of albums (as I've been doing today). No previous version of iTunes ever had this bug.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using:

iTunes 7.0
OS X 10.4.7
iMac G5 2.1 GHz
If you mean selecting an album in the Browser (with List View) and then hitting cmd-I then I have no such problem here, running:

iTunes 7.0
OS X 10.3.9
eMac G4 1.25 GHz
    &
OS X 10.4.7
iMac G3 600 MHz

I know it's a discredited panacea but have you tried repairing permissions ?

Itunes 7 released

Reply #49
I was having audio issues with iTunes 7 when I had iTunes playing in the background while another application (e.g. WoW) was also accessing the sound card.  I managed to fix the issue by following the advice on this thread http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?...3107876#3107876

I fixed mine by going to quicktime preferences and changing the settings to the following:

Sound Out
Rate:192
Size: 16 bit
Channels: Stereo (LR)

Music Synthesizer
General Midi