Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack V.4.2 bundle 2005-10-04 (Read 8108 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack V.4.2 bundle 2005-10-04

Reply #1
I didn't properly announce it at the home page because, according to Peter's and other people's tests, the speed gain is pretty small - just a few percent compared to David's MSVC6 compiles.

Reply #2
http://www.rarewares.org/files/lossless/wavpack-4.2.zip
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333867"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmmmm... Is this 4.22? No changelog.txt, no Cooledit/Audition filter,  no WinAmp plugin...

Where is the old "WavPack V.4.2 bundle ICL8.1 compile by Logger 2005-04-11" gone? To Really Rare Wares?

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #3
hmmmm... Is this 4.22? No changelog.txt, no Cooledit/Audition filter,  no WinAmp plugin...

Where is the old "WavPack V.4.2 bundle ICL8.1 compile by Logger 2005-04-11" gone? To Really Rare Wares?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333873"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nooo, RRW is for effete stuff, and WavPack 4 surely isn't effete

I replaced Logger's compile mostly because of an effort at RW of getting rid of as many ICL compiles as possible. ICL is known for generating unstable and buggy object code (I can hear Koepi screaming from the distance), and MSVC 8 is creating much faster code than its earlier incarnations.

Besides, David's code is known for not being really optimizable by optimizing compilers (don't ask...). So it doesn't make a big difference to use ICL or VC8.

As for the plugins... I dont'see much point in a Winamp plugin, as it makes no difference to decode using 0,4% of CPU or 0.3%...

Audition would indeed be interesting. I'll look into it.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #4
Roberto,

the problem is that apparently *NO* Audition and *NO* Winamp filter is available at RW right now. ICL compile is gone and MSC doesn't have them...

Cheers!

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #5
the problem is that apparently *NO* Audition and *NO* Winamp filter is available at RW right now. ICL compile is gone and MSC doesn't have them...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333886"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well... you can always get those at wavpack.com

But I'm compiling VC8 versions of these right now.

Reply #6
Well, actualy *I* already have copies of them, both from Logger ICL and From Wavpack.com compile. I was pointing the problem out just for others who coming into RW could think that no such filters exists for WavPack. That would be a pitty as I think WavPack, all taken into account,  is best lossless compressor around. (My humble opinion, flames off, please)

Glad to see that you are compiling them with VC8 right now, anyway!

But... why getting rid of the old compiles? Running out of disk space? Tidying things up?

Thanks!

Sergio
Sergio

Reply #7
Glad to see that you are compiling them with VC8 right now, anyway!

Done uploading!

But... why getting rid of the old compiles? Running out of disk space? Tidying things up?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333892"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean why not offer Logger's and Peter's compiles simultaneously?

For the simple reason that I'm sure my mailbox would get flooded by questions of "which one should I get?"

Reply #8
 THANK-YOU!
Sergio

Reply #9
  is best lossless compressor around. (My humble opinion, flames off, please)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For "best lossless" it's better to point people [a href="http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison]here[/url] and ask them to make up theire own mind.... WavPack support is still sketchy on *nix and mac, and flac has faster decoding, OptimFrog better compression etc. etc.
As there's no degradation, leave it to the people...
Still. I agree. After M. T. Ashland left his supporters in the wilderland, seemingly never to return, with an unuseable, halfbaked license... and WavPack development picked up I became a true believer myself. Waiting for the *nix crowd to realise what's the best BSD licensed lossless algorithm around ....
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #10
the problem is that apparently *NO* Audition and *NO* Winamp filter is available at RW right now. ICL compile is gone and MSC doesn't have them...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333886"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well... you can always get those at wavpack.com

But I'm compiling VC8 versions of these right now.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333888"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WinAmp plugin didn't work.
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

Reply #11
an effort at RW of getting rid of as many ICL compiles as possible

Will there be non-ICL LAME compiles or does LAME 'need' ICL?