Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 14 channel ogg, it works but looking for more info (Read 3257 times) previous topic - next topic

14 channel ogg, it works but looking for more info

Hey guys, brand new to this forum!

So I am working on a game where we want to have audio files that contain 14 tracks of audio.  Our engineers, are able to read .wavs and we are trying out oggs for file size purposes.  I am using oggdrop to encode the files, and I seem to have no problems with 14 channel ogg files.  I drop the .wav and a 14 channel ogg files spits out.  But I am just curious if there is anything i need to be aware of?  It seems everywhere I look not many people have tried this at all, so I want to make sure I am not hurting audio quality, or perhaps there is a better method.  Thanks for the info guys!

Reply #1
You should have no problems as you are controlling what audio is in what channel. With 14 channels, there is no predefined mapping in oggvorbis so it will simply decode them in the same order in which they were encoded. Similarly there will be no cross channel dependencies. In theory, at least, you should be good up to 256 channels! The stock encoders won't accommodate more.

Reply #2
You should have no problems as you are controlling what audio is in what channel. With 14 channels, there is no predefined mapping in oggvorbis so it will simply decode them in the same order in which they were encoded. Similarly there will be no cross channel dependencies. In theory, at least, you should be good up to 256 channels! The stock encoders won't accommodate more.

Thanks for the help!!