Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audible symptoms of amplifier clipping (Read 50952 times) previous topic - next topic

Audible symptoms of amplifier clipping

Reply #25
Test tones, real music, going about hearing how they sound clipped is all the same.

You spend more time coming up with excuses than you spend actually trying to learn something.  It's getting very hard for the community to take you seriously.  It's pretty evident by the responses you're getting from members of the forum, some of whom are usually quite patient and charitable with their time.

How is it an excuse??? Listening to a test tone is NOT the same thing as listening to music. If it's easier to isolate the symptoms of amp clipping using test tones then it clearly isn't going to tell me how the clipping might sound with real music. There is a whole lot of stuff happening in the music. How could you argue otherwise?

Reply #26
How is it an excuse??? Listening to a test tone is NOT the same thing as listening to music. If it's easier to isolate the symptoms of amp clipping using test tones then it clearly isn't going to tell me how the clipping might sound with real music. There is a whole lot of stuff happening in the music. How could you argue otherwise?

Because it is trivially easy to find out how clipping sounds like with real music. Take a piece of music. Load it into audacity (free). Increase gain beyond clipping (or use clipping effect), and reduce gain back the same amount. Save file. Listen.

Reply #27

Because it is trivially easy to find out how clipping sounds like with real music. Take a piece of music. Load it into audacity (free). Increase gain beyond clipping (or use clipping effect), and reduce gain back the same amount. Save file. Listen.

You are saying that artificial distortion in a program simulates what actual clipping sounds like?

Reply #28

You call yourself an audiophile and you don't even know what clipping sounds like?

Wow! Just WOW!!!

PS: There is nothing artificial about the distortion caused by clipping a signal with a wave editor.  Will you ever stop being so pathetic?

Reply #29
You call yourself an audiophile and you don't even know what clipping sounds like?

Wow! Just WOW!!!

PS: There is nothing artificial about the distortion caused by clipping a signal with a wave editor. Will you ever stop being so pathetic?

What's pathetic is your attitude as a moderator of this forum.

Reply #30
  • Rich doesn't like being called out on his bullshit: check

So Rich, will you try what was suggested or will you fall back into character and come up with additional reasons as to why you shouldn't?

Reply #31
  • Rich doesn't like being called out on his bullshit: check

I just think there are more tactful ways to get a point across. I disagreed with your view and you start calling me pathetic. What kind of a moderator are you?

Reply #32
The shoe kinda fits, doesn't it?

I wouldn't have resorted to attempting to shame you into this, had you actually payed attention to the replies you have already gotten on various questions by various members in various discussions.

We already explained clipping to you on more than one occasion, yet here you are with nothing to show for it, save for a bruised ego.  That is pathetic.

Reply #33
I just think there are more tactful ways to get a point across. I disagreed with your view and you start calling me pathetic. What kind of a moderator are you?

I think greynol is much to kind. I only looked at the threads you started and the way you ask reminds me on pure trolling.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #34

Basically you ignore those you disagree with. You've been given so much useful information here and I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to get so annoyed with you.

I've never seen someone so completely unwilling to learn.

Reply #35

Basically you ignore those you disagree with. You've been given so much useful information here and I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to get so annoyed with you.

I've never seen someone so completely unwilling to learn.

Because people are expecting me to just DO DO DO without question. When I am doubtful about something, I get shot down.

Reply #36
Because people are expecting me to just DO DO DO without question. When I am doubtful about something, I get shot down.

The words, "I did that and..." Would make all the difference.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #37
Okay I'll try it then.

Reply #38
Because people are expecting me to just DO DO DO without question.

You ask questions. We tell you how to find out the answers. You don't listen. You don't try.

When I am doubtful about something, I get shot down.

Because you express your doubt by more questions, and we tell you how to find out the answers. You don't listen. You don't try.

Do you see the pattern?

Reply #39
You are saying that artificial distortion in a program simulates what actual clipping sounds like?

For sure!

The clipped waveforms from the real amplifier and the one in the audio file can have the same shape and size, and therefore they can sound identically the same.

I'll let you in on a little trick - we often take a real amplifier, drive it into clipping with a speaker load, and record its clipped output. 

Then the clipped wave in the recording is a highly accurate duplicate of the actual output of the amp while it is clipping.

Plese don't shortchange ABXing files!

Reply #40

You ask questions. We tell you how to find out the answers. You don't listen. You don't try.

Because you express your doubt by more questions, and we tell you how to find out the answers. You don't listen. You don't try.

Do you see the pattern?

This is exactly how trolling works these days. A prime example.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #41

Do you see the pattern?

This is exactly how trolling works these days. A prime example.

It is not my intention.

Reply #42
Two things:

First, I would expect the same amount of clipping to be much more audible in test tones than in music if the level of the peaks before clipping is the same for both.

Second, there is no guarantee that an amplifier will clip in exactly the same way as by limiting the peak values in a file. The clipped peaks from an amplifier may be more rounded than the flat-topped peaks in the file, and this could make a significant difference in the amount of generated overtones, possibly making them sound different.

Reply #43
Two things:

First, I would expect the same amount of clipping to be much more audible in test tones than in music if the level of the peaks before clipping is the same for both.

Second, there is no guarantee that an amplifier will clip in exactly the same way as by limiting the peak values in a file. The clipped peaks from an amplifier may be more rounded than the flat-topped peaks in the file, and this could make a significant difference in the amount of generated overtones, possibly making them sound different.

Isn't this confusing. On one hand I am a troll and stupid for not believing them, then we have your explanation that is pretty close to what I thought earlier and I was shot down and ridiculed. Tough crowd.

Reply #44
I think that you're thinking that clipping is much more subtle than it is in anything other than borderline cases. If you just do a test, I think you'll see that it goes from not clipping at all to horrible distortion fairly quickly.

Reply #45
One step forward, two steps back.

your explanation that is pretty close to what I thought earlier

He's giving himself far too much credit.

Reply #46

No one has said otherwise.

Second, there is no guarantee that an amplifier will clip in exactly the same way as by limiting the peak values in a file.

No one has said otherwise.

The clipped peaks from an amplifier may be more rounded than the flat-topped peaks in the file

What, only "may"?

and this could make a significant difference in the amount of generated overtones

What, only "could"?

possibly making them sound different.

What, only "possibly"?

Again, no one has said otherwise.

At the end of the day, the result will become harsh audible distortion with enough gain.  The amount of additional gain won't need to be all that much once the edge of onset clipping is reached.

Meanwhile, arguing over shades of blue is being interpreted as something entirely different.

Good show!

FWIW, clipping created within amplifier circuits is a passionate hobby of mine. \m/

Reply #47
Isn't this confusing. On one hand I am a troll and stupid for not believing them, then we have your explanation that is pretty close to what I thought earlier and I was shot down and ridiculed. Tough crowd.

Are you here to learn, or to appear to be right in some superficial way?

Reply #49
I'm sure you can prove it, but doing so isn't likely going to do much to further any hidden agendas, provided the requisite audio samples are there to be auditioned.  It wouldn't further my agenda either, which is to get Rich to take the initiative and play an active role in learning something.

PS: I was about to include a cute fishing analogy, but it was getting tedious considering there are many ways to fish. Perhaps it's not unlike the many ways to clip a signal. Even still, the overall flavor remains the same: buzzy.  Anyone disagree?