Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar under Windows XP 64 Bits (Read 2887 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar under Windows XP 64 Bits

I had the oportunity to get an AMD64Bit System. And all my nightmares, started that day. As everybody knows, all these systems come with a 32bit Os. So I decided to install a native 64bit OS. I installed Gentoo 64bit distro, Mandrake 64bit distro, fedora 64 bit during three weeks of trial and fail. What a frustration. The most stable and fast was fedora and gentoo. But. But... I couldnt have the sound and the network drivers to work together in one distro. I went back to install Windows xp. Until I found windows XP 64 Bit trial. I installed this, and for my surprise, the same thing. The network card works but the sound card (m-audio revolution) didnt. So I enabled the ac97 sound card from the motheboard and it didnt work neither (No driver support). After one more day, I went to realtek website and for my surprise they had a beta 64 bit drivers for my ac97 sound card. So I installed it. After that, I installed Foobar. This installed fine (no errors). Now finally, I do have a very fast 64 bit system with my network and sound, working together and for the record foobar 2000 works like a charm. Thanks Peter.  I am very happy now. Some applications refuse to install but Foobar 2000 is a dream under windows xp64bit. I did some tests, (encoding) and it does it faster than ever before. Wao, Xp64bit roks. Thanks for reading my experience with xp64 and Foobar 2000. 

Reply #1
Are you saying you're happy using your onboard AC97 sound card, while your M-Audio Revolution is card is not being used? 
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #2
Are you saying you're happy using your onboard AC97 sound card, while your M-Audio Revolution is card is not being used? 

Uff. Happy as a bird. You dont know what it takes to have sound and network drivers support on 64bit OSs. I would prefer my M-audio Revo 7.1, but after all I passed these days I am very happy with the ac97 drivers. I am not saying is better, but try, just try to get the m-audio revo 7.1 to work on linux 64bit distros or any other. Make my day. 

Reply #3
The lack of publicly available ATI Radeon (with OpenGL and control panel extensions) and M-Audio Revolution drivers for Windows XP for AMD64 has kept me from switching.

That, and a lovely benchmark page showing that 32-bit applications were slightly slower in general running under the 64-bit OS. I'm too lazy to dig for a link right now, but I'm sure somebody else can post links, or refute my statement.

Whatever, I'm sure things will change by the time it is actually released.

Reply #4
That, and a lovely benchmark page showing that 32-bit applications were slightly slower in general running under the 64-bit OS.

This is correct.