Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Compiling FAAC (Read 2804 times) previous topic - next topic

Compiling FAAC

Hello all,

I'm trying to compile FAAC in MSVC 6.0. It is turning out to be more of a pain than I had anticipated -- I'm thinking on writing up a few words in case I manage to do this.

Well, let's go down to matters. I tried asking this in audiocoding.com but I hope I have better luck finding a helpful soul here.

I downloaded the FAAD2 source, and compiled it (after I realised I needed processor optimizations ) Then I downloaded FAAC, and here is where the problem began:
- first MSVC complained that there were no "libsndfile" project. And it's right! I found out that there is a libsndfile http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/, but it is not a msvc project. I compiled it using nmake and placed the library file in the proper directory.
- Now the compilation halts at the linking stage by complaining about a number of missing globals, like:
Code: [Select]
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _MP4WriteSample

now I'm stumped. Anybody can help?

Compiling FAAC

Reply #1
Compile and install faad2. It includes a libmp4v2, which contains the routines needed by faac to create MP4 files.

Compiling FAAC

Reply #2
You do not need libsndfile.
For the mp4 problem, there is a define telling to compiler to use it. Just undefine it: you will loose ability to use mp4 container, but you can still encode.

Compiling FAAC

Reply #3
Great! I managed to compile it after including libmp4v2_cb.lib to the input library modules. I also needed to include the proper directories in the tools > options.

It seems the encoder I compiled is slightly faster than the one in rarewares (7.1xplay vs. 6.6xplay), but it is also almost three times the size. Thanks guys!

Compiling FAAC

Reply #4
AFAIK John33 uses UPX for his executables.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.