Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help required identifying "experimental" piece/artist (Read 5036 times) previous topic - next topic

Help required identifying "experimental" piece/artist

hi all,

I'm trying to identify the artist who did this "experimental" piece (1 minute segment below)

http://www.giantpygmy.net/sections/downloa...ental_piece.mp3

I think it's by a woman and I think she's american. I might be wrong on both counts and apart from that I haven't a clue.

Would greatly appreciate any help. 

Thanks

Rachel.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #1
This sounds like something Laurie Anderson would do.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
This sounds like something Laurie Anderson would do.

I know what you mean - but I don't think it's Laurie Anderson.

R.

Reply #3
The first sample sounds like a guy from the Church Universal & Triumphant, who was sampled by Mylo (Destroy Rock and Roll) and Negativland (Michael Jackson). Audio clips here and here

Reply #4
...i thought i'd be helpful... turns out i'm not!

Reply #5
The first sample sounds like a guy from the Church Universal & Triumphant, who was sampled by Mylo (Destroy Rock and Roll) and Negativland (Michael Jackson). Audio clips here and here

Your right!  Thanks so much. I recognise some of the stuff from (40 seconds into "Invocation For Judgement Against And Destruction of Rock Music") -- so now I just need to track down the artist who created the "montage".

Bizarre stuff, listening to the original!

Thanks again.

Still if anyone knows the artist responsible for this version would like to know -- in the meantime you've given me plenty to go on.

R.

Reply #6

Just wanted to say thanks again to Todd - having listened to all the files at http://substitute.livejournal.com/1367200.html - I realise that what I assumed was a very creative artwork was in fact simply a remix/overlapping of some of the best material in the Church Universal & Triumphant's arsenal of invocations and dedications against the terrifying misuse of 4/4 time and syncopated rhythms found in rock music by such demonic forces as "REO Speedwagon, Culture Club (incl. Boy George) and Hall & Oates".

Still not sure who did the remix (as linked to at: http://www.giantpygmy.net/sections/downloa...ntal_piece.mp3) but also no longer too bothered.

I'm amazed however at the creativity (and in some ways) musicality of the church & Elizabeth Clare Prophet. It's fascinating to me to see how human creativity manifests itself (regardless of what delusions might be driving it).

R.