Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Strange Flac Error (Read 4394 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange Flac Error

I have a single flac that gives me an error in foobar at the 20 second mark. 

ERROR (foo_flac) : FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_METADATA
ERROR (foo_flac) : FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA
ERROR (foo_flac) : FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA

It stops playing at that point.  But if I skip to say, 22 seconds, it plays the whole way through just fine.  Why does foobar (and all other players) have this problem, and is there any way to fix the flac without reripping?

Strange Flac Error

Reply #1
Why does foobar (and all other players) have this problem

This sounds like a problem with flac itself, then.

Topic moved to the 'lossless codecs' forum.

Strange Flac Error

Reply #2
Posible fix: Decode to wave, encode back to FLAC.

Strange Flac Error

Reply #3
Posible fix: Decode to wave, encode back to FLAC.

Gave it a shot... only decodes to the 20 second spot.  Rerip it is.  I just thought it was an interesting error since it could be played past the point of error if skipped.

Strange Flac Error

Reply #4
what error does the winamp plugin give?  what does 'flac -t' on the file give?

also, if you can host the file somewhere I can take a look.

Josh

Strange Flac Error

Reply #5
I have the same problem. I got some torrents of bootlegs and when I go to decode them to .wav, they stop at a given point. It says "FLAC_STREAM_DECODER_UNPARSEABLE_STREAM". I also cannot play the downloaded flac because it stops playing at the same point. Any suggestions?

Update: I just reinstalled foobar and all is well. Crazy, huh?

Strange Flac Error

Reply #6
want to recreate the error? just open up a track, change a few bytes in an editor or perhaps notepad for that matter. Now try playing the file and the stream colapses at that point giving you that error message. Seeking past the break works like it would in an mpeg stream as it jumps past the break. Put simply the files are corrupt