Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TouchRemote DACP and Windows RT app‏ (Read 4551 times) previous topic - next topic

TouchRemote DACP and Windows RT app‏

I was trying to use rtRemote, a Windows 8 app, to control my mediacenter running Foobar 2000 TouchRemote DACP plugin.
(I already do that on Windows Phone with this other great app - http://wp7remoteapp.com/  )

I used the rtRemote Pairing Helper Tool to pair with TouchRemote DACP but I had no success.

I enter the pairing PIN 0000 as the rtRemote Pairing Helper specifies but I receive a "Device didn't return a valid pair code" error.

TouchRemote: Looking for device...
TouchRemote: Found device "" (rtRemote) @ 169.xx.xx.xx:44936
TouchRemote: trying to pair with  "" (rtRemote)
TouchRemote: Pairing failed: Device didn't return a valid pair code
TouchRemote: Pairing cancelled

Any clue?

Reply #1
+1 - trying to accomplish the same task.
Guinness for strength!

Reply #2

I contacted the footouchremote author (the foobar add-in which implements DACP) and he explained me how to manually pair a device by adding the pairing-guid on windows registry.

After I added the rtRemote device this way (on foobar remote machine) I was able to use the win8 app to remotely control foobar!

The rtRemote team is also analyzing the pairing procedure.

Reply #3

I contacted the footouchremote author (the foobar add-in which implements DACP) and he explained me how to manually pair a device by adding the pairing-guid on windows registry.

After I added the rtRemote device this way (on foobar remote machine) I was able to use the win8 app to remotely control foobar!

The rtRemote team is also analyzing the pairing procedure.

How did you find the pairing guid? And what about the cookie-value?

Reply #4
I've just wasted a few hours to install Win8 into a virtual machine and test foobar with rtRemote. There are a few crucial points here:

1) rtRemote uses a hardcoded port 3689, so you need to set it in plugin settings.
This won't allow you run both iTunes and foobar at the same time (in case you'd like to).
I tried to add host like <host>:7000, but rtRemote failed to recognize it.

2) Pairing Helper tool just doesn't work as expected.
Its TXT record is announced empty, so there's neither device name nor pairing guid present, and pairing fails with the error above.

3) The rtRemote itself succeeded to pair with foobar though.
But I had to kill the process and restart it before pairing (probably because I forgot to install Bonjour in the beginning).

So it basically works, but the experience seems to be somewhat poor.