Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Confused about 'Brothers in Arms' mastering versions (Read 10298 times) previous topic - next topic

Confused about 'Brothers in Arms' mastering versions

Hi.

I'm confused about the different masterings of 'Brothers in Arms' by Dire Straits that exist.
What I've found:
The original mastering was done by John Dent
There is a 1995/96 remaster by Bob Ludwig
The european versions of those two appeared on Vertigo and seem to share the same catalog# (824 499-2) and barcode (042282449924). Is that even possible?
My copy is a version mastered by Bob Ludwig, there is no date indicating when it was mastered, but I'm quite sure my father owned it several years before 1996.
Could someone confirm:
- that there is an original 1985 master done by Bob Ludwig? Otherwise I'm in possession of the remaster.
- that the remaster mentions a remastering date in the liner notes?
Is there is a way to discern the different masterings by sound, loudness or emphasis? I could check for RG results if that helped.
Which, in your opinion is the best-sounding master? I know this disc gets metioned a lot if it comes to well-sounding cds. Is this valid for all versions?