Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem building Vorbis from source (Read 7935 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem building Vorbis from source

I cannot build Vorbis (newest versions of aoTuV or Xiph) shared libraries with MinGW (using configure).  Ogg compiles perfectly.  I type "./configure" in MSYS; everything seems to work fine.  I type "make," and it works perfectly for a while until I get to this:
Code: [Select]
gcc -shared  .libs/vorbisfile.o  -L/mingw/lib ./.libs/libvorbis.dll.a  -o .libs/libvorbisfile-3.dll -W1,--image-base=0x10000000 -W1,--out-implib,.libs/libvorbisfile.dll.a
Creating library file: .libs/libvorbisfile.dll.a
.libs/vorbisfile.o:vorbisfile.c:(.text+0x73): undefined reference to `ogg_sync_pageseek'
.libs/vorbisfile.o:vorbisfile.c:(.text+0xb8): undefined reference to `ogg_sync_buffer'
.libs/vorbisfile.o:vorbisfile.c:(.text+0xec): undefined reference to `ogg_sync_wrote'
.libs/vorbisfile.o:vorbisfile.c:(.text+0237): undefined reference to `a_lot_of_other_stuff'

Here's the line it should have used:
gcc -shared  .libs/vorbisfile.o  -L/mingw/lib /mingw/lib/libogg.dll.a ./.libs/libvorbisfile.dll.a ./.libs/libvorbis.dll.a  -o .libs/libvorbisfile-3.dll -W1,--image-base=0x10000000 -W1,--out-implib,.libs/libvorbisfile.dll.a

Does anybody know why it's doing this, or how to fix it?

Reply #1
Does anybody know why it's doing this, or how to fix it?

I am not sure how to fix the problem correctly by editing the compile line, but try this. Make sure you have included the proper header files or make sure the library is sharing the proper header files (in your .libs dir, etc). An undefined reference usually occurs in programming due to the fact that function name is usually mispelled. C is case sensetive. Linker can't find the function (the compiler appears to be skipping libogg for some reason). How this relates to that I am really not sure.  ogg_ routines are used for writing vorbis packets in and out of an ogg container. Vorbisfile.c is trying to call another function in libogg, but it can't because it's not there. Hopefully I have at least provided some insight for you. I am sure somebody else know's exactly what the problem is.  I have never seen DLL's compiled before.
budding I.T professional

Reply #2
I just ran into the same problem.  I got libogg1.1.3 compiled and installed.  I can get through ./configure ok, but when I try to 'make' it...
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/game/aotuv-b5_20061024/lib'
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -O20 -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -fsigned-char  -DUSE_MEMORY_H   -o libvorbisfile.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -no-undefined -version-info 4:1:1 vorbisfile.lo libvorbis.la
libtool: link: warning: `/mingw/lib//libogg.la' seems to be moved
rm -fr  .libs/libvorbisfile.dll.a
gcc -shared  .libs/vorbisfile.o  -L/mingw/lib/ ./.libs/libvorbis.dll.a  -o .libs/libvorbisfile-3.dll -Wl,--image-base=0x10000000 -Wl,--out-implib,.libs/libvorbisfile.dll.a
Creating library file: .libs/libvorbisfile.dll.a
.libs/vorbisfile.o(.text+0x73):vorbisfile.c: undefined reference to `ogg_sync_pageseek'
... and so on with the undefined references..

I looked in mingw/lib/ for libogg.la and it IS in there  (and I do wonder what the "//" means)  My guess is that the libtool: link: warning is the whole problem.  I don't know how to go about fixing this issue though.

I have been searching for a while for a solution for this, with no luck.  Any ideas?
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #3
When compile of the latest libvorbis (aoTuV is included) goes wrong by MSYS, please edit makefile in the "lib" directory like the following examples after "./configure."
I can do compile in this change.

LIBS = 
~
OGG_LIBS = -L/usr/local/lib -logg

LIBS = -L/usr/local/lib -logg
~
OGG_LIBS = -L/usr/local/lib -logg

Reply #4
Thank you Aoyumi.  I'll give that a try when I get home tonight
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99

Reply #5
Well, I got libvorbis to compile.  But I still don't know how to build vorbis.dll I thought it would be built automatically, but I guess not.

I've spent the last few days looking for clues on how to build it with gcc, but have found nothing (everything just seems to say to use the msvc project files).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99

Reply #6
Well, I got libvorbis to compile.  But I still don't know how to build vorbis.dll I thought it would be built automatically, but I guess not.

I've spent the last few days looking for clues on how to build it with gcc, but have found nothing (everything just seems to say to use the msvc project files).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend you to use dllwrap. This can create dll for Windows easily.

example(ogg)
cd \libogg\src\.libs
    dllwrap.exe -def \libogg\win32\ogg.def --implib oggw.dll.a bitwise.o framing.o -o ogg.dll

example(vorbis)
cd \libvorbis\lib\.libs
    dllwrap.exe -def \libvorbis\win32\vorbis.def --implib vorbisw.dll.a oggw.dll.a analysis.o bitrate.o...(the same) -o vorbis.dll

In order to perform the above-mentioned sample, please prepare a required file in advance.

Reply #7
[sarcasm]Wow that wasn't hard at all![/sarcasm] 

I just finally got vorbis.dll compiled a few minutes ago.  Thank you Aoyumi for your help.  (oggw.dll.a and vorbisw.dll.a are cygwin things aren't they? I never had any luck with cygwin).  What I ended up doing was slightly different, but is working just fine with oddcast3 

From inside "libogg-1.1.3\src\.libs" to build ogg.dll I ran:
dllwrap -def ../../win32/ogg.def --implib libogg.dll.a bitwise.o framing.o -o ogg.dll

To make things easy on myself, I then copied libogg.dll.a bitwise.o and framing.o to the vorbis .libs directory.

From inside "aotuv-b5_20061024\lib\.libs" to build vorbis.dll I ran:
dllwrap -def ../../win32/vorbis.def -implib libvorbis.dll.a libogg.dll.a *.o 
libvorbisfile.dll.a -o vorbis.dll

Vorbis-q0-lowpass99