Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar don't show any cdrom drives (Read 4215 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar don't show any cdrom drives

In the Dialog "Play audio CD" foobar doesn't show any drives, though I've got a couple of them (dvd player, writer).
Is there any hint?

Reply #1
do you have ASPI layer installed?

Reply #2
do you have ASPI layer installed?

I haven't installed anything special.
In my winnt\system32 dir there is a wnaspi32.dll ver. 4.57 (1008)
is it enough?

Reply #3
No, you have to install the complete Aspi-layer. Go to Google, type "forceaspi" and download that package. This should be allright! If you PM me your Emailadress I can send you the ForceAspi package, this should be no Problem!
Celeron 1300 Tualatin @ 1589, 512 MB Micronchip CL2, 0,5 TB HD, Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, Sony MDS-JE530 DAC, Sony STR-GX 311 Ampifier, Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones, Creative Inspire T7700 7.1

Reply #4
No, you have to install the complete Aspi-layer. Go to Google, type "forceaspi" and download that package. This should be allright! If you PM me your Emailadress I can send you the ForceAspi package, this should be no Problem!

I have installed it yet, I see cdrom drives in foobar only if I am logged on as admin on my w2k installation, but not as auth. user, maybe the drive needs some extra permissions, strange behaviour.

Reply #5
Hmm, true, this can be!
Celeron 1300 Tualatin @ 1589, 512 MB Micronchip CL2, 0,5 TB HD, Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, Sony MDS-JE530 DAC, Sony STR-GX 311 Ampifier, Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones, Creative Inspire T7700 7.1

Reply #6
Im pretty sure you can just download the aspi offered on Nero's website and put it in your foobar directory and that will work as well.  But like you said, it could be a thing about permissions

Reply #7
I have installed it yet, I see cdrom drives in foobar only if I am logged on as admin on my w2k installation, but not as auth. user, maybe the drive needs some extra permissions, strange behaviour.

It's a known win2k annoyance. By default, only the users with administrator privileges can access a cd-rom drive directly.

This link http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=117 should help you solve that problem.

Reply #8

It's a known win2k annoyance. By default, non-admins cannot access cd drives directly.

This
http://kwur.wustl.edu/cgi-bin/fom?_recurse...&file=4#file_51
will solve your problem.

thanks for the help, that helped, I see only my CD-Writer now, but better than nothing.

Reply #9
I'm having the exact same problem, but it appears the link provided above no longer points to relevant information.  Can anyone help me out?

I'm using a non-administrator account on Windows 2000.  When I log in as administrator the CD drives show up and play just fine.  I did install ASPI using Aspi4all, and AspiChk shows version 4.60 (1021) as being properly installed.

And this is with foobar 0.7.2.

Thanks,
Sean

PS:  I tested with Winamp, and it has no problem accessing/playing CDs using my non-administrator account, which seems odd.