Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_podcatcher (Read 213991 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_podcatcher

Reply #50
also created playlists contain items from other subscriptions.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #51
Thanks for reporting. Fixed in the just released version 0.0.7c.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #52
Nausea,

First of all, thanks for creating a really useful plugin! I've been dealing with some podcasts by manually downloading them and others with .m3u files containing URLs. I love having a central place to manage them which can update itself from the RSS feeds.

I'm having trouble with one podcast I found. The url is: http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab

Looking at it in FireFox, it's clear that foo_podcatcher properly adds all the MP3 files that their XML correctly tags as "MPEG Layer 3 Audio" and have a file size. However, many of their media files have no MIME type or size listed. Those URLs do not get added to the feed's list in podcatcher.

I'm not sure the best way to deal with this. You could perhaps add them based on file extension, if the MIME type is empty. I know there are a lot of potential file types, but even just *.mp3 would help a lot.

I also emailed the radio show to point out the errors in their RSS feed.

Thanks,
- LoopinFool

foo_podcatcher

Reply #53
I finally installed this plugin a couple days ago and I think it's fantastic!
I've been looking for a very long time for a podcatcher in Foobar, Thanks!!

I have a couple suggestions for future versions:
- I second the idea of automatically tagging downloaded files in a certain way (ie setting the genre to Podcast)
- I'd love to be able to change the title of the Podcast, For example I like to group my news, tech, etc podcasts, allowing us to do this would then change the the downloaded folder
- Instead of the above, allowing us to change the downloaded folder would be cool.
- Allowing us to filter podcasts from being downloaded using TAGZ

Anyway keep up the good work!

foo_podcatcher

Reply #54
Here's my main feature suggestion:

I'd like to have some podcasts download but others remain as links. I'm sure this would be a popular feature. Some feeds, like daily news articles and such would just be links for listening on my desktop when I have time. Others, like longer weekly podcasts should be downloaded so I can save them to another computer, memory stick, or portable media player.

It might be nice to have a "download all podcasts" option rather than a maximum of 10. It's not hard to just select them all and queue them, but what if a single RSS feed adds 20 items all at once. Only the last N would get downloaded with the current setting.

- LoopinFool

foo_podcatcher

Reply #55
LoopinFool: The next major update will probably have per-feed preferences, including download locations and numbers to download. I'll also add a (turn it all the way up to 11) option to download all items in a feed.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #56
Glad to see it updated! Only 2 things i noticed - the podcatcher tray icon is a bit blurry (I actually have disabled notifications so no problem) and the dates for podcasts are all "Jan 1st 1601" (without quotes)

Running Win7 64 bit

foo_podcatcher

Reply #57
Glad to see it updated! Only 2 things i noticed - the podcatcher tray icon is a bit blurry (I actually have disabled notifications so no problem) and the dates for podcasts are all "Jan 1st 1601" (without quotes)

Do you have an example feed with the date problem?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #59
Problem with unicode podcasts?
I just added a french language podcast, the title of the podcast is: Les années lumière
It seems that the podcatcher can't read podcasts with non-english marks since it's added as "Les ann"
Furthermore, it doesn't seem to be able to download any podcasts
If I try to queue up any podcasts, I get a message that reads: The file 'C:\Downloads\Podcasts - Foobar'Les ann with Yes or No, are shown as downloaded but are never actually downloaded.

Here is the podcast in question: http://rss.radio-canada.ca/radio/lumiere.xml
Hope this gets fixed!
Thanks and keep up the great work

foo_podcatcher

Reply #60
If I try to queue up any podcasts, I get a message that reads: The file 'C:\Downloads\Podcasts - Foobar'Les ann with Yes or No, are shown as downloaded but are never actually downloaded.

I noticed that the download directory has to exist for downloads to succeed. foo_podcatcher won't create the main download directory for you.
Perhaps that's your issue with downloads?

- LoopinFool

foo_podcatcher

Reply #61

I noticed that the download directory has to exist for downloads to succeed. foo_podcatcher won't create the main download directory for you.
Perhaps that's your issue with downloads?

- LoopinFool

Hi LoopinFool,

the podcatcher downloads podcasts fine from all sources EXCEPT for the one I mentioned above with the non-english characters.
Sorry if I wasn't too clear.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #62
I found that plugin is very nice. Actually i am subscribing 2 podcasts. But i see room for improvements.
In podcatch manager window, I would add an description column (next to name, status url, etc..)
Better playlists managing. Is it possible that podcatcher would update a playlist in foobar with new podcasts detected? One playlist for all podcasts upated automatically
Is it possible to pass the Title and Description information to foo_textdispaly?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #63
Released another quick update. Main change is that this includes debug information so I can make use of submitted crash reports.

Only other thing is a fix for the encoding in Benji99's feed.

sirDaniel: you can currently create an updating playlist with all podcasts by right-clicking on an empty area of the feed list in the manager dialog. From the context menu select "Create playlist (all)".

foo_podcatcher

Reply #64
sirDaniel: you can currently create an updating playlist with all podcasts by right-clicking on an empty area of the feed list in the manager dialog. From the context menu select "Create playlist (all)".

Here's one quick suggestion for the auto-updating playlists.

It would be nice if they could (optionally?) be ordered oldest on top. Since foobar2000 plays lists top-to-bottom the chronology is currently reversed. You can manually reverse the playlist in foobar, but I've assumed it would get overwritten whenever the feed updates.
This would probably be a good candidate for a per-feed setting whenever you add those.

Thanks again for this great plugin! My wife has one main podcast she listens to, and the foobar2000/podcatcher combo has made it really easy for her.

- LoopinFool

foo_podcatcher

Reply #65
Updated the first post with details of version 0.1.0.

For those interested, this version stores the feeds and podcasts in a separate file from the foobar2000 configuration, as it was causing it to balloon in size. Settings from version 0.0.x are transferred however.

Let me know of problems that have may have been introduced.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #66
Hello nausea,

since the podcatch manager doesn't show the files anymore in its window, i hope you will find a way to show the status of a file (just url, queued, downloaded).

Thanks for the component.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #67
Hey nausea, just now trying to get into the podcast thang and found your component. First thing I've noticed so far is that the preferences page text is clipped.

I'm using Vista x64 w/ my Font Size set to 120dpi. Occasionally I run into a program where the text isn't doesn't display right presumably because it doesn't adapt well to the dpi setting. Seems like this might be one of 'em.

Looking forward to getting my podcast groove on. Please PM me if you happen to fix this.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #68
Released v0.1.0b. Only change is fix for a crash bug in the date parsing.

First thing I've noticed so far is that the preferences page text is clipped.

Hadn't seen this before the release, but will look into for the next one. I'll see if there is a standard way of handling this. I've wondered before what happens when people use non-default settings, but these things remain low priority until someone points them out, so thanks.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #69
Doesn't work with foobar v.1.0b

foo_podcatcher

Reply #70
Thanks a lot for the great work, it's really appreciated.

I have one problem though: Whenever I shut down and restart foobar 0.9.6.9, the entries in my podcatch manager as well as in the podcast playlist are gone. Is this intended (don't think so)? Did I miss anything in the properties dialog?

Suggestions for the long-term evolution:
- opml import/export
- be able to add the podcatch manager as an UI-element.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #71
Please update it to work with foobar2000 1.0
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

foo_podcatcher

Reply #72
I have one problem though: Whenever I shut down and restart foobar 0.9.6.9, the entries in my podcatch manager as well as in the podcast playlist are gone.
Hank: Could you check your foobar2000 profile folder? You can find it from the General page of the foobar2000 preferences dialog. Is there a file called foo_podatcher_config.xml? If not can you think of any reason this might not be created, such as the folder being write protected?

I've released version 0.1.1b. The main changes are related to downloading podcasts.

There is a problem with v0.1.1 for XP users so I have rolled back for now until I work out what was causing it. If you downloaded the new version and are using XP I recommend you downgrade.

Above problem is fixed in version v0.1.1b, which is now released. Get it here: http://www.unkempt.co.uk/fb2k/foo_podcatcher.html

This is still with the v0.9.6 SDK, so foobar2000 v1.0 beta users will still get the warning message on startup.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #73
Nice update and happy to see the component on foobar2000s components site! Thanks!

foo_podcatcher

Reply #74
I'm running foobar 1.0 beta 4 on Windows 7 and it's still giving a "not supported" error message when I start foobar... :-(