Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My Story....Epic win... (Read 5969 times) previous topic - next topic

My Story....Epic win...

Okay so me being the idiot I am, washed my clothes unknowingly having my klipsh image s4i in my jacket pocket, When I found them I was so scared the cord looked kind of tangly but the pair looked fine I immediately plugged them in and they still work and exactly how they did before... my plan is to return them to best buy since I have a warranty and buy a complete new pair or maybe a different better pair? What's the next step after the klipsh image s4i sound quality wise?

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #2

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #3
I like it.  I like it alot. 

And if the headphones still work, why would you replace them?
JXL

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #4
Immediately plugging them in probably wasn't the best idea. You might have just been lucky this time.

The best thing to do when you get electronics wet is to immediately remove the electrical supply from it, whether by unplugging it or yanking out the battery. Of course, your headphones weren't plugged in when they went into the wash. And I'm not sure how true it is for simple passive devices like headphones (and actually noise-cancelling or other 'smart' headphones aren't that simple), but for anything with a chip or a circuit board like cellphones or laptops - you'll want to cut the power to it immediately, and for a long time. It's often not the water itself that damages electronics, but short-circuits created by water on the electronics conducting electricity.

What I would have done is blast the headphones with a hair dryer for a bit, then let them sit a full 24 or 48 hours to let the water totally dry out. THEN plug them in to see if they still work.

Good to hear the phones still work, though. Just a few days ago, my trusty pair died on me, and I went to Best Buy and picked up some Skullcandys for $50, and they were just about the worst headphones I've ever used. Listening to a tone sweep on them, it sounds like 6 dB or more variance, just between 100 and 5000 Hz. Never, ever waste good money on a pair of those trash headphones. I could have constructed better ones out of coat hangers and cardboard. That's all I can say.

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #5
I could have constructed better ones out of coat hangers and cardboard.
That's sounds like a really bad reality TV show - watch HA regulars compete to construct the best piece of audio equipment out of every day junk!

They could call it "ABX-factor" maybe?

Cheers,
David.

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #6
The best thing to do when you get electronics wet is to immediately remove the electrical supply from it, whether by unplugging it or yanking out the battery....

Good advice. I actually put my cellphone through the washer and dryer. After removing the battery and letting it dry for a few days it worked except the buttons were a little bouncy. I used that phone about a year after that.

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #7
my plan is to return them to best buy since I have a warranty

That wouldn't be very fair.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #9
I didn't realize warranties worked for user idiocricy?!?  I better reread some of mine...

When my cat ate through my Sennheiser CX 500 chord, I didn't return them to Sennheiser for a refund.  I just sprayed my cat with water and was really pissed off.  I got a better set of headphones in the end though.
JXL

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #10
I could have constructed better ones out of coat hangers and cardboard.
That's sounds like a really bad reality TV show - watch HA regulars compete to construct the best piece of audio equipment out of every day junk!
They could call it "ABX-factor" maybe?

Oh, oh! HA regulars go through junkyards ("garbage" in general) in a quest to build the best possible audio set (even if a bit unorthodox one - at the least: "yes, this antique walkman / TV doesn't really work in its intended role anymore, but we should be able to use its audio amplifier & speakers" or "this clock radio seems OK, maybe we can use two as additional active speakers of sorts - if only we could find another, similar one" or "hey, those old PC cases have small ~normal PC speakers!" or "found an S1 MP3 player, we might have our signal source!")...

...and then their creation is pitted against stereotypical audiophile gear, in a televised ABX test of audiophiles?

The best thing to do when you get electronics wet is to immediately remove the electrical supply from it, whether by unplugging it or yanking out the battery....

Good advice. I actually put my cellphone through the washer and dryer. After removing the battery and letting it dry for a few days it worked except the buttons were a little bouncy. I used that phone about a year after that.

I would add that, depending on circumstances (what made it wet), it might be a good idea to immediately & quite thoroughly wash the electronic thingy again (with battery already removed of course), but this time with clean water, to remove possible residues (like detergents; though, in the case of a full washing machine cycle, it's mostly taken care of at the end, anyway), to wash out any mixture possibly much more corrosive than ~clean water & which could do its thing in the time it takes it to dry. Maybe also doing that after at least partial disassembly (which helps with drying afterwards, too; also, the few times it was needed, I found warm (winter season) radiators or monitor & TV "exhaust" vents convenient - but of course, in the 2nd case, make sure any possible residual water won't drip inside!)

When my cat ate through my Sennheiser CX 500 chord, I didn't return them to Sennheiser for a refund.  I just sprayed my cat with water and was really pissed off.  I got a better set of headphones in the end though.
JXL

And I imagine many people tend to repair such (though in my "painful" cases it was a rat ...but now I do have a cat - make of it what you want  )

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #11
my plan is to return them to best buy since I have a warranty

That wouldn't be very fair.

I think these "extra" warranties that BB employees unnecessarily (well, in *ahem* most cases) sell people perfectly cover accidents. You don't even have to lie to them!

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #12
Still, those headphones don't seem to fall under any sort of warranty returns - simply because they are working fine (and warranties just aren't about such items). IIMaxII would have to intentionally damage them...

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #13
it might be a good idea to immediately & quite thoroughly wash the electronic thingy again (with battery already removed of course), but this time with clean water, to remove possible residues (like detergents; though, in the case of a full washing machine cycle, it's mostly taken care of at the end, anyway), to wash out any mixture possibly much more corrosive than ~clean water & which could do its thing in the time it takes it to dry. Maybe also doing that after at least partial disassembly

good advice, except that i would use distilled water.

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #14
Yeah, it might be somewhat better ...thing is, there's basically no such thing as "distilled water" once it comes in contact with daily items (that's also why I wrote there "~clean water"), so tap water should be generally close enough (unless you have some really horrible one locally, I guess; and it's not like we boil it away or anything, in the process) - plus it has some major advantages: there's usually plenty of it, readily available in fairly high pressures (hence flows, under... tap).

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #15
Still, those headphones don't seem to fall under any sort of warranty returns - simply because they are working fine (and warranties just aren't about such items). IIMaxII would have to intentionally damage them...

Well he could say that the wash has put a "veil" on the sound that not even 24/192 audio can lift!

My Story....Epic win...

Reply #16
They sell bottled distilled water.  I'd love to see some ABX tests to prove the difference though.