Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can flac.exe resample a FLAC file? (Read 4874 times) previous topic - next topic

Can flac.exe resample a FLAC file?

Recently, it seems that SqueezeCenter (for the Squeezebox) changed its method of doing resampling of 24/96 FLAC files by using SOX to downsample to 24/48 FLAC so that the files can be played on the Squeezebox.  This (if I read it right) also has the effect of now using SOX to play FLAC files with CUE sheets.  Not the best solution, since SOX appears to consume a lot more CPU cycles.

Is flac.exe not capable of resampling FLACs from 24/96 to 24/48?

Reply #1
It's not.  Any resampling will have to be performed by an external application of some sort.

Reply #2
Has this capability ever been considered?  Or is it technically infeasible or otherwise undesirable for some reason?

Reply #3
Though it might be presumptuous to assume Mr. Coalson's motives, I believe it's undesirable to include that option because resampling an audio stream is not a lossless process in general, and thus falls outside FLAC's scope as a lossless audio format.  So, the reference tools leave that job to someone else.

Reply #4
yep, resampling is not lossless and good resampling is hard, so I would rather leave that to another tool.