Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 VBR and max bitrate (Read 20970 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 VBR and max bitrate

Reply #25
Originally posted by Frank Klemm
The layer 3 of MPEG-1 is IMHO a hack which works good for
most classical music and which makes things worser for
typical pop music.

MPEG-1 Layer III has design flaws because of politics. Yes - politics! MPEG commitee had two proposals "on the desk" during the initial phase ("competetive phase"):

- ASPEC (AT&T, FhG, Uni-Hannover, CNET)
- MUSICAM (Philips & Crew)

MUSICAM parts are dominant in Layers I and II, and Layer III is more or less based on ASPEC - BUT - MPEG commitee wanted to keep some kind of compatibility and "joint solutions" between layers (although this compatibility is more or less useless) and they kept "hybrid" filterbank in MP3 as well as frame-based M/S and IS switching (instead of frequency-band wise) - these are most problematic flaws in MP3.

Also, commitee insisted on keeping 1152/384 samples windows in MP3, that are not optimal for MDCT filterbank - optimal values are 2048/256 samples (as used in AAC), etc..

MP3 VBR and max bitrate

Reply #26
Ivan, you have made me very curious...

You mention politics but maybe there was also a political reason why they wanted to cripple mp3? 

Did they not want it to be too good because they wanted AAC (which might have been in early development) to be the best (and expensive)???

I mean if they knew the "hybrid" filterbank was a bad choice, and that 1152/384 samples were not optimal for MDCT filterbank why approve them?

Any enlightenment appreciated....