Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bluetooth tests (Read 6999 times) previous topic - next topic

Bluetooth tests

Hello everyone,

I`d like to ask people who know something about Bluetooth technology. What would be a proper test for a Bluetooth device operation? Are there any standard tests? What equipment would i need? Where can i find such information?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bluetooth tests

Reply #1
Hello everyone,

I`d like to ask people who know something about Bluetooth technology. What would be a proper test for a Bluetooth device operation? Are there any standard tests? What equipment would i need? Where can i find such information?

Thanks for your help in advance.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=369929"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since talking about bluetooth is like talking about WIFI, or TCP/IP, or any other communication protocol, it would be better that you say what you want to test (i.e. the scenario you are interested in).
For example, with bluetooth, PDA's/mobiles can transmit files to a PC, laptops/PDA's can communicate with mobile phone to connect to internet, hands-free kits transmit audio to&from a mobile phone...

If your aim is to verify that you can connect, it depends on what do you want to connect. For a PDA, maybe the easiest would be to sync with a PC. For a mobile phone, to connect with a PC or against another mobile phone.

Else, if you want to test the validity of the data, i know of no application that does such verifications, but you can always send files and use a checksum to see if the data was transmitted correctly.

Bluetooth tests

Reply #2
Thanks for reply. I know how and what connects, but i`m rather interested in formal testing, like packets received/sent, bandwidth consumption, measuring power emitted, BER etc. For instance i`m testing one BT headset and play back a recorded speech in a loop. Tranceiver is a BT USB Dongle. On a distance about 5m sound in a headset becomes very distorted and clipped. I`d like to give an objective opinion about the issue.

Bluetooth tests

Reply #3
I see..
Then, i don't know of such tool. It would have to connect/supplant the OS driver in order to get the packets how they are received instead of the data ready for an application.

Can't help

Bluetooth tests

Reply #4
  OK, thanks for your comments anyway.

Bluetooth tests

Reply #6
Bluetooth has a really limited range, so it's not surprise that moving back 5m kills the audio quality.

Bluetooth tests

Reply #7
Firon, well, i`ve tested BT headsets that worked even 30 m from the tranceiver(Class 1) with acceptable quality.

Bluetooth tests

Reply #8
Yowww Pal.. It is hard to make a living out of hardwares.. All made in China!

Bluetooth tests

Reply #9
what do you mean? 

Bluetooth tests

Reply #10
what do you mean? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378553"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Spend sometime reading up on Chinese designed bluetooth products on the internet.. You will find that Chinese Engineers are very good at designing bluetooth products..  and they can sell their products at very much lower price than anyone else.

Bluetooth tests

Reply #11
I guess the ~5m range only applies to low end stuff?  Most devices I've seen have 5m (or even less!) range before the signal drops off to nothing. Any specific models that have a range of 30m?

Bluetooth tests

Reply #12
I guess the ~5m range only applies to low end stuff?  Most devices I've seen have 5m (or even less!) range before the signal drops off to nothing. Any specific models that have a range of 30m?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379229"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bluetooth is supposed to be short range.. so as to save on power consumption as it is meant for hand-held portable devices where battery life span is critical. I don't even think you can maxout  5m ....

It is not that difficult to license the technology from Ericsson or from anyone else and then incorporate it into your product designs.

Unless, you are working in the company that holds the patent you are most likely to end up competing with cheap products designed and built in China! So.. check-mate pal!

Here check the website : www.globalsources.com , for a list of Chinese high tech start ups companies. You will be shock with the varieties of high tech hardware products that these companies design, manufacture and export.    and they are catching up the technology curve VERY quickly...

Bluetooth tests

Reply #13
Firon, Class 1 BT devices transmit to 80m outside the building, and 20m inside the building.

Bluetooth tests

Reply #14
Firon, Class 1 BT devices transmit to 80m outside the building, and 20m inside the building.

Life must be tough being an electronic engineer?

Bluetooth tests

Reply #15
After reading a bit more, I did realize I've only been working mostly class 3 devices, so that explains the limited range.