Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LossyWav: average filesize reduction (Read 13557 times) previous topic - next topic

LossyWav: average filesize reduction

Reply #25
Yes, I think I got that. My question ("how ? I used the --longhelp switch, but I couldn't find a parameter for setting the blocksize.") is still relevant though, or not?

Reply #26
The codec-block-size is automatically defined within lossyWAV dependent on the sample-rate of the material being processed. There is no reason to change it manually.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #27
the reason would be to serve a lossless codec, which you can't manually set to bocksize 512. So instead of adapting the codec to the needs of lossyWav, you would adapt adapt lossyWav to the needs of the codec.

Reply #28
IIRC the only codec that is compatible with LossyWAV but doesn't have blocksize option is WMA Lossless.

Reply #29
IIRC the only codec that is compatible with LossyWAV but doesn't have blocksize option is WMA Lossless.

well that would be a field of application then. Plus, I'd like to test for myself with different lossless codecs.

So...

how ? I used the --longhelp switch, but I couldn't find a parameter for setting the blocksize.

Reply #30
[sarcasm]
Oh, there's a very easy way you can do that:  Get the source code, the compiler, modify it at your pleasure and taste, and do not come here asking why it doesn't improve the result
[/sarcasm]

You know... you start to be nitpicking..

Reply #31

[sarcasm]
Oh, there's a very easy way you can do that:  Get the source code, the compiler, modify it at your pleasure and taste, and do not come here asking why it doesn't improve the result
[/sarcasm]

your sarcasm is inappropriate.
Nick.C himself said:
For lossless encoding, the blocksize can be set to anything that you want,

So I was merely asking : HOW ?

I don't see why this is nitpicking. I was just asking for an element of information that was missing in his statement.

I was expecting a parameter in lossywav.exe,
e.g.

--blocksize 1024

but since I couldn't find any such parameter, ... well I asked.

Reply #32

He means a switch in a lossless encoder, not in LossyWAV.

Reply #33
the reason would be to serve a lossless codec, which you can't manually set to bocksize 512. So instead of adapting the codec to the needs of lossyWav, you would adapt adapt lossyWav to the needs of the codec.
Which lossless codec, that makes use of the "wasted bits" feature, does not allow you to change the blocksize of the encoder? If the blocksize of the lossless encoder is different from that of the lossyWAV processing then all that will happen is that the output will be encoded slightly less efficiently by the lossless codec. There will not be a switch in lossyWAV (unless forked) which allows the user to select a processing codec-block-size. A larger codec-block-size results in less bits removed as the effect of a low bin result for one of the FFT analyses will affect the bits-to-remove from more samples when blocks are longer.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #34
@chrizoo:

Judging from your numerous posts in numerous threads you initiated you're obviously very interested in audio compression.
BUT: It would be very welcome if you slow down a bit and appreciate a bit more the many answers you get and really try to understand them.
If - like in this thread - you're asking things again and again that have been answered JAZ's kind of an answer is going to start being adequate.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #35

He means a switch in a lossless encoder, not in LossyWAV.

sorry, yes I see you are right.  I was asking if and how the blocksize of 512 can be changed in lossyWav and when Nick.C answered "the blocksize can be set to anything that you want" I thought he would answer my question, whereas he actually talked about something else.

Reply #36
Which lossless codec, that makes use of the "wasted bits" feature, does not allow you to change the blocksize of the encoder?

according to lvqcl:

Not that I would use WMA though. I'd just would be like to make my own tests. Theory is good. Practice is better.

If the blocksize of the lossless encoder is different from that of the lossyWAV processing then all that will happen is that the output will be encoded slightly less efficiently by the lossless codec.

that's why I was trying to find out how to match the blocksize and if the only way to do so was for the encoder to accomodate lossyWAV's blocksize or if the reverse would also be possible.

There will not be a switch in lossyWAV (unless forked) which allows the user to select a processing codec-block-size. A larger codec-block-size results in less bits removed as the effect of a low bin result for one of the FFT analyses will affect the bits-to-remove from more samples when blocks are longer.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Reply #37
Judging from your numerous posts in numerous threads you initiated you're obviously very interested in audio compression.
BUT: It would be very welcome if you slow down a bit and appreciate a bit more the many answers you get and really try to understand them.

Not to mention trying some research by yourself before asking another umpteen questions.

Reply #38
It would be very welcome if you ... appreciate a bit more the many answers you get and really try to understand them. If - like in this thread - you're asking things again and again that have been answered ...

I do genuinely appreciate all answers I get here (I actually observed that I say like 2-3 times more often "thank you" than most folks whose questions are answered) and I really try to understand them.

And if I'm "asking things that have been answered" (assuming you mean "answered to me" and not in general, somewhere, someplace), then obviuously only because I lack intelligence or knowledge for a better comprehension of the answers. Either that or the answers given don't answer the questions asked, which sometims happens to be the case, too.

But that's not a big deal. In the latter case I try to rephrase my question and if someone is kind and patient enough to bear with me, I always reached a point where I understood the answers (or the answerer my - maybe badly phrased - question).