Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 640537 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #475
When I use VU meter plugin for foobar2000 under wine 1.7.4 using Ubuntu/Linux, the VU meter skins does not show up and get a dark/black space in the UI Column.

Is there a way to fix this issue when running foobar2000 in under wine in Ubuntu Linux?

Photo is attached below

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #476
It doesn't seem to have come up before so this is presumably blindingly obvious to everyone except me, but in case there's someone else out there unlucky enough not to know more than I do, here's how to add a directory on a NAS / Samba / SMB / Network share, as foobar2000's media library:

Open up Wine configuration
Switch to the Drives tab
Press Add...
Choose a letter you like the look of, & press OK
Enter the path:
Code: [Select]
/home/<yourusername>/.gvfs
& press OK

Now in foobar2000 media library config you can browse to your networks shares at that drive letter under My Computer.

Almost certainly this is neither the only nor the best way.

I am having trouble getting this to work. If I use a linux based music app to browse to the proper network folder I show the following path: run/user/1000/gvsf/smb-share:server=owner-pc,share=music/Mp3

What should I put as the path in my Wine configuration for the new drive I want to use for Foobar? the simple path in the orig post gets Error! as does the one just above.  Thanks if you can help. No ubuntu app I've tried matches foobar -- either they don't have the music library sorting capabilities I rely on or they choke on my 58K song library.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #477
If I use a linux based music app to browse to the proper network folder I show the following path: run/user/1000/gvsf/smb-share:server=owner-pc,share=music/Mp3
What should I put as the path in my Wine configuration for the new drive I want to use for Foobar?

Put this in your Wine config drive path:
/run/user/1000/gvsf/

Then in foobar2000 library config you'll be able to browse the rest of the way to music/Mp3

Note this and the previous post follow on from:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=105250

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #478
My foobar crashes under wine every time I try to play back an mp3 or ogg. mpc and flac work fine. editing the tags of the mp3 files works fine as well. Just crashes as soon as I start playback.
It happens in Safe mode as well.
I'm using Wine 1.4.1 and foobar2000 1.3.2.

Does anybody else experience this? Do you know a solution?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #479
Any suggestions to get my album covers to show in NG Playlist?

The relevant value in the Artwork configuration tab is just: front.*, and all covers are inside the music folders, usually named front.jpg. They display fine in the Artwork view panel.

To follow up on this:

I've since switched to the Default UI, and encountered the same problem with SimPlaylist. The only thing that helped, surprisingly, is switching gdiplus in winecfg "DLL Overrides" from "native" to "builtin".
This way, covers are finally displayed in the playlist, except for the PNG ones.

Wine version: 1.6.2.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #480
covers are finally displayed in the playlist, except for the PNG ones.

Wine version: 1.6.2.

WINE used to (may still) be unable to display CMYK JPEGs. You could try checking the colour space of the PNGs

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #481
WINE used to (may still) be unable to display CMYK JPEGs. You could try checking the colour space of the PNGs

Opened one of them in ImageMagick, says it's sRGB.

My Wine definitely has a problem displaying it, though: double-clicking on it in Wine Explorer yields a blank window in Wine Internet Explorer.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #483
My foobar crashes under wine every time I try to play back an mp3 or ogg. mpc and flac work fine. editing the tags of the mp3 files works fine as well. Just crashes as soon as I start playback.
It happens in Safe mode as well.
I'm using Wine 1.4.1 and foobar2000 1.3.2.

Does anybody else experience this? Do you know a solution?

In case anybody is experiencing the same: deleting the whole wine folder, reconfiguring wine and reinstalling foobar fixed it

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #484
Running Foobar2000 1.3.3 (and before that it's beta's) in Wine 1.6.2 with Mint 17 Qiana 64 bits, Cinnamon Edition.

Only things I have found so far is that:

A. Volume slider doesn't work, but i can manage that with the systems volume controls.
B. Occasionally the play, stop etc. buttons magically disappear, mousing over them making them reappear.
C. When opening the explorer window to add a folder, or change covert art. A weird filename is listed. This happened in the beta versions, seems to be fixed in the final

On the other hand. The rest works fine. Tagging is lightning fast, plays all my music without problems and (even with Wine included) uses far less RAM than the Linux players I've tried.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #485
I haven't been able to find any player like foobar + facets, so I was pretty relieved when I could run this is WINE; didn't have much luck before.

Everything pretty much just works now. Only problems are that album art is aliased, less fonts than on native windows, and it's only using the windows 2000 theme. Integrated my previous global hotkeys into KDE's shell, so that works. Also doesn't play nice with Icon-Only Task Manager since it's run through WINE.

Other than that, it's all good. Feels really cool.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #486
Scenario: dual boot Windows and Linux with regular foobar install on both Windows and Linux(Wine). Using Playback statistics while sharing same library (paths shouldn't mind), and making symlink from Windows "%appdata%/foobar2000/index-data/C653739F-14B3-4EF2-819B-A3E2883230AE" to same path under Wine. Result:

1. initially foobar under Wine shows playback statistics the same as on Window, but after playing tracks in both players, both seem to log  statistics independently. I thought that the file in index-data folder should be the one with playback statistics data, but it seems this is more complex

2. playing tracks in foobar under Wine shows in properties that playback statistics fields are properly populated, but using search i.e. "Library > Playback statistics > Show recently played" does not list updated tracks. It seems that some caching is involved for storing playback statistics. File in index-data folder (which is symlinked) is updated on foobar exit (judging from write timestamp)

Any thoughts about these problems?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #487
Making a symlink to the same configuration directory is more likely to work. Or to the same index-data directory, at least. You can mimic the same media drives using winecfg mount points.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #488
Linking index-data directory indeed worked. Interesting.

Thanks

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #489
I use foobar2000 as my main audio player under Linux (Mint, 17.1, 64-bit). I just the wine1.7 version from this repo: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa, which includes the 'controversial' PulseAudio backend.
Since some weeks, foobar crashes during exit. The next start, foobar asks me if I want to start in safe mode. Besides that, it works great. It started after a wine upgrade.

Do you have the same experience? Or do I have to reinstall my wine foobar prefix?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #490
I had a similar problem (Xubuntu 14.04 i386, wine-1.7.44 from ubuntu repo).

Running foobar2000 via wine from a terminal helped me to identify the  problem.
When exiting, I saw some message like this :
INFO: Stopping UPnP...

I realized that the foo_upnp was blocking the exit process, and was forcing me to kill foobar2000.

Running in safe mode (most components disabled), everything was fine.

Finally, after removing UPNP component from foobar2000, everything became fine in normal mode.

I hope this will help.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #491
i would like to use foobar2000 as my main audio player under linux too. so far all is working as expected, only for one thing.

i especially miss the different icons for each codec when browsing with nemo. so is it possible to assign foobar's icons to audio files and have fb started when clicking on a file, just like a native mint audio player?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #492
Right-click on a file which you want to open with foobar, and select "open with;other application". Then browse to your foobar.exe and add wine in front of the path, and %1 after it, something like "wine path/to/winefolder/foobar/foobar.exe %1"

for icons I guess you can do it the same way for each file type, but why bother, really...

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #493
Right-click on a file which you want to open with foobar, and select "open with;other application". Then browse to your foobar.exe and add wine in front of the path, and %1 after it, something like "wine path/to/winefolder/foobar/foobar.exe %1"

yes that worked, thank you.

for icons I guess you can do it the same way for each file type, but why bother, really...

it is simply more clearly represented this way. when i look at an orange file, i know at once it must be a flac file...

i still have no luck in assigning icons to files though.

Re: Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #494
Hello! I have a minor issue when I open Foobar2000, on a KDE Neon (ubuntu-based).
A window pops-up that says there's some locale problem. My regional settings etc are to my best knowledge just fine.

More importantly (but I instinctively believe that's for the same reason), Foobar2000 has trouble dealing with non-latin characters. The really bad thing about this is that file operations on these files are not possible. Such files are skipped. Not possible to "guess values" from filenames either. The main window shows the tags just fine, it's the filenames themselves that are messed up.
Umplaut: Greek
I tried opening Foobar2000 from the console, and it says:
(wrapper.py:16872): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `gtk-primary-button-warps-slider' of type `gboolean' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x2egboolean'

(wrapper.py:16872): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita"
Fixing the adwaita thing (by installing gnome-themes-standard) doesn't help. The problems I indicated above persist. I get a feeling that this problem is KDE-specific (because by online-search I found something similar, but unresolved, in another forum about a whole other issue on a KDE desktop).
My own system is this:

Anyway, throwing it in here, in case sometime somebody gets the same problem and/or has a solution in the future. Thanks!

Reply #495
I regularly run foobar2000 in Wine in KDE Plasma 5 without the issues you describe.  Granted, I haven't updated it in a little while (v1.3.14).  Of course, I usually avoid non-Latin characters in file names for compatibility when accessing the files on other systems - those characters go in the tags only, and work just fine.  That said, some characters in your screenshots with issues appear to be Latin script (Latin supplemental in unicode).  I have (inadvertently) had such characters in filenames, and I don't think fb2k had those problems.  Finally, from your screenshots, it seems the issue is originating with Wine (since they show this way with Wine Explorer).

I have my system is set up for UTF-8 (how exactly you do this is probably dependent on your distro):

LANG=en_US.utf8

Reply #496
Thanks for the response! This was particularly helpful, you set my mind on the right track. You're right, it can't be Foobar's problem, it's Wine, and something with UTF-8. Therefore, guessing it's a KDE Plasma locales issue, I simply searched the internet for "kde plasma UTF-8". And, success :)! This came up:
If you have a file ~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh, try deleting it and restarting the session
The annoying window and the weird characters are gone (they were indeed the same problem).
edit: The umplauts are fine now, but the greek characters show as squares :/ I can live with that, I guess.

While I'm at it, has anyone noticed that while you play something on Foobar2000, other players, either local (e.g. VLC) or on browsers (e.g Youtube) cannot play, and vice-versa? In fact, when another player already plays, Foobar pops up an "Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x8889000A)" message when you ask it to play something too.
Anybody knows what gives?

Reply #497
While I'm at it, has anyone noticed that while you play something on Foobar2000, other players, either local (e.g. VLC) or on browsers (e.g Youtube) cannot play, and vice-versa? In fact, when another player already plays, Foobar pops up an "Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x8889000A)" message when you ask it to play something too.
Anybody knows what gives?

I'd bet you are using ALSA directly (not through PulseAudio or some other "sound server") and without dmix.  I use ALSA+dmix, myself, and can play any number of sound streams simultaneously.

Reply #498
Thank you!  "Alsamixer" on a terminal, or Neon's GUI settings have nothing like this. I tried a search on the internet but nothing (that I could understand) came up. I will look again with a clearer head tomorrow. If you have kept a link with a how-to guide, please do tell me, because I'm not really good at this.

Reply #499
Thank you!  "Alsamixer" on a terminal, or Neon's GUI settings have nothing like this. I tried a search on the internet but nothing (that I could understand) came up. I will look again with a clearer head tomorrow. If you have kept a link with a how-to guide, please do tell me, because I'm not really good at this.

I know of no GUI for this.  Audio in Linux is a pain if your distro doesn't work out-of-the-box.  What kind of sound hardware do you have?  I think ALSA will usually set up mixing on its own unless you have something like a USB audio device (which I do).  I could post my .asoundrc file, which might be close to what you need.  First, I would make sure you don't have a sound server that WINE isn't detecting properly.  If you run 'winecfg', what does it show for the driver on the audio tab?  What does the KDE Settings app show as the Audio and Video backend?  If it is Phonon VLC, what does VLC have configured for audio output?