Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DivX5 is out (Read 11398 times) previous topic - next topic

DivX5 is out

Reply #1
so... when does this XviD thing come...? 'cause i don't like this divx5 thing (especially the pro GAIN version)
...but you agree to install GAIN advertising software that occasionally pops-up targeted advertisements while you surf the web.

yuck!

regards
maciey

DivX5 is out

Reply #2
I wouldn´t recommend anyone to use the pro version, since it contains spyware...  :mad:

Edit: Damn maciey was faster than me...

DivX5 is out

Reply #3
Who needs DivX 5?
Yoo can still get great results with DivX3/SBC or use a really open VideoCodec: XviD.
If you want to play around with it, try Koepi's Builds.
X
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

DivX5 is out

Reply #4
so... when does this XviD thing come...?

XviD is out already, and working very well. There's a lot of development to go, but the quality is already up to par with DivX 3.11 and 4... plus it's GPLed, with a committed bunch of people working on the Windows side.

Check out http://www.doom9.org/ for the XviD encoding guides, and Koepi's windows XviD build for the actual codec -- you can get this by going to the XviD board in doom9's forum (it's down at the moment, so I can't tell you the direct link, but I'm sure someone will post it).

EDIT:
If you want to play around with it, try Koepi's Builds.

See? I told you someone would post the link

DivX5 is out

Reply #6
XviD and lame are a pretty good team, if you edit/encode the video with VirtualDub and mux VBR/ABR MP3 with Nandub later. And under Linux Transcode does all this in one tool.

DivX5 is out

Reply #7
I did a small test. Encoded 10000 frames from Shawshank Redemption, start frame 160000 with xvid and divx5 pro, resolution 640x352.

XviD (build 28/02/2002)
mode - 1-pass quantizer, quantizer 2
motion search precision - 6 Ultra High
smooth quantizer fluctuation - on
luminance masking - off

DivX5 Pro
mode - 1-pass quality based, quantizer 2 (100%)
scene change treshold - default (50%)
use Quarter Pixel - on
use GMC - on
use bidirectional encoding - on
psuchovisual enhancements - off
pre processing source - off
performance/quality - slowest

XviD final size - 93.8 MB
DivX5 final size - 63.5 MB

DivX5 has a little bit less small details, but looks good.
So I'll definetely switch to DivX5.

DivX5 is out

Reply #8
If you decide to uninstall GAIN Spyware, simply follow these steps:

That should completely remove GAIN spyware from your system.

Please note: very likely the usage of DivX Pro™ without GAIN advertising software running on your system is prohibited by Divx Pro™ license. So you should be aware that if you remove GAIN advertising software from your system, you immediately HAVE TO stop using DivX Pro™, delete the software from your harddisk and forget everything you may have ever known about DivX Pro™ 

Northpack

DivX5 is out

Reply #9
XviD final size - 93.8 MB
DivX5 final size - 63.5 MB

Choosing based on filesize is a fairly dodgy thing to do. As with all codec comparisons, a lot of comparison of the actual output is needed. Here's the thread on the doom9 forum where they've been comparing DivX 5 Pro to the latest XviD:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=95080

The XviD developers are working on including B frames, but it's quite a hard job to get right. Once they're in, you'll probably get about a 5% decrease in filesize for equivalent quality. Even with this advantage, by no means does DivX 5 run away with the quality crown. Particularly at lower bitrates, DivX 5 encodes need a lot of postprocessing to look good - and DivX 5 retains DivX 4's characteristic of being very blurry.

DivX5 is out

Reply #10
Not only is it prohibited, it simply won't work. When the GAIN software is not running, the Pro version won't work.

Also remember this: the banners are targeted at you. For this to be possible your browsing behaviour has to be monitored. Probably DivX Networks isn't getting much revenue from the adds (As low as 5 per week? Come on!) but from the statistics! I'd prefer not to reveal my whole surfing activity to the Gator company.

Heh, but since the monitoring part of the gain software will be some kind if IE plugin they can kiss my (shiny metal) a** because I use Mozilla (and trust me, it rocks)! On a side note. In IE v 5.x (Dunno bout other versions. 4 seems to be ok but 6?) a website can start any program on your disk even with disabled active scripting as long as it knows the exact location.  Until now it is not known how commandline parameters can be passed. So del, format and the likes won't work. But this is serious. Mozilla gives no problems

DivX5 is out

Reply #11
Viva la Mozilla/Netscape! Via condios IE/Mosaic!

DivX5 is out

Reply #12
Originally posted by Neo Neko
Viva la Mozilla/Netscape! Via condios IE/Mosaic!

???
Is that Latin? Spanish? :confused:

DivX5 is out

Reply #13
Originally posted by X-Ray
XviD and lame are a pretty good team, if you edit/encode the video with VirtualDub and mux VBR/ABR MP3 with Nandub later. And under Linux Transcode does all this in one tool.

XviD and Ogg Vorbis is a better team

DivX5 is out

Reply #14
Well, just wait a little. If DivX5 is cool, than sombody would crack DivX5 Pro version. Nobody want's to look at banners.

DivX5 is out

Reply #15
Originally posted by vladimirovich
Well, just wait a little. If DivX5 is cool, than sombody would crack DivX5 Pro version.
Has allready happened. This was to be expected since most divx users have a rather flexible moral. Did they think that people who don't want to pay for DVDs would fork out $30 for a codec?

DivX5 is out

Reply #16
Isibaar subjected DivX5 to a barrage of testing, and my own tests revealed the same thing:

DivX5 is using the same old motion estimation code from DivX4, which XviD is outperforming by far.  There are details at the bottom of this page.

The file-size-per-fixed-quantizer is the only valid test we have of the efficiency of a codec's internals (seeing as we can't view the source ) - the huge improvement seen in this thread is thanks totally to B-frames.  Quarter-pel is a waste of time (in around half my tests, the final bitstream was LARGER than without, thanks to more overhead) and GMC is a royal pain to get right, improving the file size by less than 1% in most cases.

But this all seems slightly off-topic for an audio forum

-h

DivX5 is out

Reply #17
And whats wrong with my builds huh?

So, when the release the audio support for the format, I might have to dig out my AAC DShow filter........

-Nic

DivX5 is out

Reply #18
You all urge to judge a codec from its first day.

I hope you are right in your judgements and let XviD rule.

My 0.02 euros

DivX5 is out

Reply #19
You all urge to judge a codec from its first day.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Do you mean "you all urge *not* to judge a codec from its first day"? If not, I can't think what yo do mean.

Assuming my interpretation is right -- DivX 5 has just been released, that's true. But we have every right to expect that, as a commercial codec from a commercial company, it's been properly tested and developed *before* release. XviD is still very much in its development phase - if it were being developed like DivX 5, you wouldn't have had the opportunity to run *anything* so far.

DivX5 is out

Reply #20
I stated the fact that everybody wants to judge the codec from day 1.

It took us quite a lot of time to master DivX 4.xx IF we did master it, we can't expect to know everything about it in less than 24 hours, let's be realistic.

You can't just plug it in and click every box you find, encode, see the result and say: uh how ugly is that?

That's what most people did, im not reffering to anyone specific

DivX5 is out

Reply #21
Of course you can't judge a codec after 2 days and I hope no one really tries to do so, but what is sure is, that DivX is now closed as never before and when they will finally decide to release no (or Decoder-only) Version of DivX 6, there are two possobilities of what will happen: a) Someone cracks it and we have the MSMPEG4V3 Situation again or b) XviD will be ready and we have a fully open MPEG4 Codec (I know about the patent issues).
I would strongly appreciate if the second thing would happen and we have a completely free solution.
And in fact the quality differences between the different codecs, at the bitrate most people use them, are not that big.
X

DivX5 is out

Reply #22
Originally posted by h
But this all seems slightly off-topic for an audio forum

I don't really mind.  After all, you do have to add audio to your rips at some point for them to be worthwhile

Speaking of which, I've recently been experimenting with xvid + vorbis myself...

DivX5 is out

Reply #23
Would anybody here be interested in Linux (RPM) builds of XviD? Or an tutorial (Perl Scripts?) for ripping DVDs under Linux using transcode + XviD + lame/Ogg?
I'm thinking about what to put on my new site/weblog (called /dev/null - boring I know). Any other suggestions?

DivX5 is out

Reply #24
Would anybody here be interested in Linux (RPM) builds of XviD? Or an tutorial (Perl Scripts?) for ripping DVDs under Linux using transcode + XviD + lame/Ogg?

I would *love* all of this! I've used UNIX stuff for ages, but only recently for multimedia (movie) stuff. What I'm looking for is a UNIX equivalent to Gordian Knot - a nice sequence to follow to properly rip, crop, resize, and encode from DVD to .avi/.ogg.