Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is the best CUE splitter software that won't reencode? (Read 166283 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best CUE splitter software that won't reencode?

Hi,
All my albums are now each in a single long FLAC file, accompanied with a CUE sheet.
I want to split the tracks up as individual FLAC files, without altering the code or reencode the data, hurting the sound quality etc.
What is the best software to do this? It would be great if there is one that isn't too difficult to understand, at least something with a frontend.
I am using Windows Vista.

Thanks for your attention.
Yulva

Reply #1
Losslessly re-encoding audio won't hurt sound quality one bit, in the end you'll get the exact same data.

Reply #2
FLAC files use a different size of frame than CDs do, so they cannot be split without re-encoding, at least without running into other issues such as incorrect resulting lengths or corrupted destination files.

As skamp said, just re-encode. It’s the simplest way, and it’ll take a trivial amount of time.

Reply #3
FLAC files use a different size of frame than CDs do, so they cannot be split without re-encoding, at least without running into other issues such as incorrect resulting lengths or corrupted destination files.

As skamp said, just re-encode. It’s the simplest way, and it’ll take a trivial amount of time.

Thank you for responding. So if I was to re-encode, what is the best software to do so? I heard Medieval CUE Splitter can cause ugly clicks and jitter in the beginning/end of the saved files. Is it true, and if yes then what is a better alternative?

Reply #5
So if I was to re-encode, what is the best software to do so? I heard Medieval CUE Splitter can cause ugly clicks and jitter in the beginning/end of the saved files. Is it true, and if yes then what is a better alternative?
MCS does not re-encode, hence its failure. I only omitted to mention it by name because it doesn’t need any publicity!

Reply #6
OK, many thanks for your help!!

Reply #7
Btw, there is nothing inherent in any music file format (compressed, uncompressed, lossy, lossless) that can cause jitter, regardless of any application.  If you don't know what jitter is, look it up.

Reply #8
I  find xrecode more convenient than cuetools, especially if you have lot of album to split.

Re: What is the best CUE splitter software that won't reencode?

Reply #9
I  find xrecode more convenient than cuetools, especially if you have lot of album to split.

thanks! it worked while medieval is not, but i got the trial version, is there a free version of this? :)
Reading and trying and learning