Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI output plugin (Read 146048 times) previous topic - next topic

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #125
Is there any setup window for WASAPI? Beacuase I change PCI slot for Lynx, and now I cannot play anything through WASAPI.. Ive got Unrecoverable playback error: Device not functioning (0x8007001F)

Anyone has idea? 

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #126
From some MS sources it seems, that in W7 (unlike WV, but i'm not sure in that) the audio stream played back in shared mode can also reach low latency through "pulling" the data by one pipeline component from the previous one (if all dsps are disabled it is mostly between driver and audio engine). The latency isn't crucial for normal audio playback, but the advantage in this pull mode mechanism seems in better glitch/skip resistance.
It seems something similar can be applied in exclusive mode also, where it can be even more helpful (e.g. WaveRT).
So i wanted just to ask which "mode" is used by fb2k wasapi output component, pull or push (i suppose here it is up to audio app to control the data amount, that it will push to the driver) mode?

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #127
This thread seems to be dead or ignored. It wouldn't be bad to add the operating mode of this plugin (see my previous post) into fb2k wiki pages, because this info could be quite essential for some kind of audio peripherals (e.g. usb devices). Maybe this plugin is designed to allow fb2k to work only (what would be fine) in pull (event) mode, but Peter doesn't mention it nowhere and moreover he doesn't provide the source code, pity.
Anyway, i've tried to distinguish the behavior between these two modes with process explorer and NAudio library through its demo application, the difference (among others, e.g. buffer size set) is in CPU cycles used, builded audio endpoint uses them in much lesser extend in the case of pull (event) mode. When comparing it with fb2k and wasapi, according the cycles it seems the pull mode is used, but this couldn't be taken as a proof, of course.
Peter or anyone, who knows, please add the info about it in the wiki pages or to this thread at least, thanks.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #128
I went back to WASAPI and was still having the repeated sound bug 99% of the time I paused. It also wouldn't go away when I had the sound output paused and then hit stop. I was constantly having to mute the sound on my receiver to avoid driving myself nuts. HOWEVER, last week, I figured out how to make this stop. I discovered (by accidentally hitting the wrong button on my remote when trying to mute) that the WASAPI plugin will not make any audio output if the position in the track is changed WHILE the song is paused. 5 minutes later I had adjusted my pause macro to have foobar pause, skip backward 1 second and then skip forward 1 second. My pauses are completely quiet now. It seems to pause and resume at the exact point in playback too, which is perfect.

I just joined the WASAPI + ATI HDMI out bandwagon this week and I have the same problem.  Is it possible for the original component author to fix this in the component?  The pause-jump-back-and-forth is a hack and I can't map global hotkeys to multiple actions to do this.  I've mapped my paused key to simply "stop" for now.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #129
This thing is great. Thanks for saving us from the Windows Mixer!

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #130
I went back to WASAPI and was still having the repeated sound bug 99% of the time I paused. It also wouldn't go away when I had the sound output paused and then hit stop. I was constantly having to mute the sound on my receiver to avoid driving myself nuts. HOWEVER, last week, I figured out how to make this stop. I discovered (by accidentally hitting the wrong button on my remote when trying to mute) that the WASAPI plugin will not make any audio output if the position in the track is changed WHILE the song is paused. 5 minutes later I had adjusted my pause macro to have foobar pause, skip backward 1 second and then skip forward 1 second. My pauses are completely quiet now. It seems to pause and resume at the exact point in playback too, which is perfect.

I just joined the WASAPI + ATI HDMI out bandwagon this week and I have the same problem.  Is it possible for the original component author to fix this in the component?  The pause-jump-back-and-forth is a hack and I can't map global hotkeys to multiple actions to do this.  I've mapped my paused key to simply "stop" for now.

My guess is that the component author feels it's working perfectly, and that the issues are on users' systems. I think a hack is the best you can hope for.

On the plus side, I found out a couple months ago that after I installed Win 7 SP1 my DS plays fine with no skipping. I no longer have to use WASAPI at all which is nice.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #131
My guess is that the component author feels it's working perfectly, and that the issues are on users' systems. I think a hack is the best you can hope for.

On the plus side, I found out a couple months ago that after I installed Win 7 SP1 my DS plays fine with no skipping. I no longer have to use WASAPI at all which is nice.

Which is probably the situation: something specific to HDMI out over ATI video card.  DS works for me too except that Windows insists on sending stereo input as 5.1 out: two channels of audio with 3 channels of silence.

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #132

I just joined the WASAPI + ATI HDMI out bandwagon this week and I have the same problem. 

I have exactly the same issue, and yes, it's ATI HDMI. There is clearly a problem, are here any chances that it will be fixed? Skipping hack doesn't seem to work for me...

WASAPI output plugin

Reply #133
Is there any setup window for WASAPI? Beacuase I change PCI slot for Lynx, and now I cannot play anything through WASAPI.. Ive got Unrecoverable playback error: Device not functioning (0x8007001F)

I had the same message error with my Lynx L22 on win7 64, and i set buffer lenght to 500ms, so it works fine, but if i set higher than 500ms, i have this message error like you.

Re: WASAPI output plugin

Reply #134
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I got the same error ("Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error (88890002)"), but I can verify the track without problems, or scan for the replay-gain, and also play it with MPC without problems. Never had this problem before, must be the WASAPI switch. Got this problem on all mono tracks. Can't you add a functionality that switches a stereo duplication on if you want to play mono through WASAPI?

Reply #135
What a weird error: AUDCLNT_E_ALREADY_INITIALIZED

Reply #136
What a weird error: AUDCLNT_E_ALREADY_INITIALIZED
You get that, for one, if you try to do something that has to be done before the client initialize, but do it after.
BANNED

Reply #137
When I don't use any DSP at all and play stereo music, I get sound coming from my surround speakers. Any idea why?

I'm using WASAPI with a Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 and I made sure no surround or stereo upmix is enabled in the Xonar Control Center.

Reply #138
Assuming you are using WASAPI in shared mode: Is your system audio output set to 2 channel/stereo for your device?

edit: I don't know if the "Xonar Control Center" you mentioned actually replaces the default windows 10 sound settings.
edit2: actually forget about what I wrote as it seems to be just bit depth and sampling rate you set there. You could try WASAPI in exclusive mode with allowing applications having sole control over the device in the sound settings.

Reply #139
Hi The Link, I'm running WASAPI in exclusive mode. My audio is set to 7.1 speakers. Seems like when there are surround speakers WASAPI automatically copies the front left and right to the surrounds?

Reply #140
I‘m sure that WASAPI in exclusive mode sends the audio data exactly as the source is (given no dsps are applied) to the device. Any alteration must be done by either the system or the device driver/software.

Reply #141
I have installed foobar2000_v1.6.7_beta_4 and I get the following error (image). However everything works normally. If I install version 1.6.6 the error disappears. Does anyone know anything about this matter?

Reply #142
@ josemescud
Read it carefully
Don't need WASAPI output support (foo_out_wasapi), so please delete it

foobar2000 change log 1.6.7
https://www.foobar2000.org/changelog

>Built-in WASAPI exclusive output.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #143
@ josemescud
Read it carefully
Don't need WASAPI output support (foo_out_wasapi), so please delete it

foobar2000 change log 1.6.7
https://www.foobar2000.org/changelog

>Built-in WASAPI exclusive output.

Thanks.
I have removed the Wasapi component.
Now I have 2 Device for my DAC:
- Default: Speakers (YOUNG MKIII UAC2) [exclusive]
- Speakers (YOUNG MKIII UAC2) [exclusive]
What is the difference between the 2. Which is more convenient to choose?

Reply #144
Default: DAC Driver [exclusive] → WASAPI exclusive mode
Please check for yourself
https://lnx.m2tech.biz/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Young-MkIII-User-Manual-PrA.pdf
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #146
I have installed Beta 5 on a DELL laptop with S.O. Windows 10 Pro 21H1

I don't have a sound system connected. I have the music in the internal DSD of the pc.

So far I have used Device: WASAPI (push): Speakers / Headphones (Realtek Audio) and everything sounded great.

I have changed the Device: Default: Speakers / Headphones (Realtek Audio) [exclusive] and it has been a disaster. Only noise is reproduced at maximum volume.

I do not know if there is something I am doing wrong or is that the version has debugging and adjustments left.

------------------------

I have also installed it on my Intel NUC with S.O. Windows 10 Pro 21H1

I have it connected to a Marshall Speaker by RCA cable

I changed the Device: WASAPI (push): Lautsprecher (Realtek® Audio) to Default: Lautsprecher (Realtek® Audio) [exclusive]

The sound is good, but the problem is that sporadically, when tagging from the Playlist View (properties) the sound gets stuck and farts. Reboot and everything OK.

I have the doubt of which is the Device that I have to choose:
- Default: Lautsprecher (Realtek® Audio) [exclusive]
- Lautsprecher (Realtek® Audio) [exclusive]
What is the difference between the two?

I also have it connected to a Young MKIII DAC via USB

I changed the Device: WASAPI (event): Speakers (YOUNG MKIII-BB09 Stereo) to Default: Speakers (YOUNG MKIII-BB09 Stereo) [exclusive]

The sound is also good and I have only noticed that, sporadically, when tagging from the Playlist View (properties) the sound stops for a moment while the metadata is being recorded.

Here I also have the doubt of which is the Device that I have to choose:
- Default: Speakers (YOUNG MKIII-BB09 Stereo) [exclusive]
- Speakers (YOUNG MKIII-BB09 Stereo) [exclusive]
What is the difference between the two?

Reply #147
It seems the current beta using WASAPI does not support multichannel:
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 96000 Hz / 24-bit / 4 channels (0x603)

1.6.6 with the WASAPI plugin can play it.

Reply #148
It seems the current beta using WASAPI does not support multichannel:
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 96000 Hz / 24-bit / 4 channels (0x603)

1.6.6 with the WASAPI plugin can play it.

Just wanted to say this was fixed somewhere between beta 8 and beta 15 and Beta 15 is working quite well.