Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Just want to point out flaw in Winamp 2.9x (Read 7238 times) previous topic - next topic

Just want to point out flaw in Winamp 2.9x

I want to point out that Winamp 2.9 was flawless with the exception of bad video support, and when you play a game while running it in the background while cause the game to be choppy and the sound to distort.

-----Foobar2k doesn't have this problem and uses the smallest amount of ram i've ever seen for running mp3s.

For Winamp 2.91 which i thought would fix this problem, i didn't check to see if it was resolved because I saw an obvious new flaw. The variable bitrate meter was very innaccurate when looking at aps mp3s.

----Foobar2k is flawless with aps mp3s it doesn't show the bitrate but, thats good. I love Foobar2k over Winamp and its my prodominent player from now on. Although i wish they had proper playback support (fastfordward,rewind, etc.)

I'm very impressed by FB2k  and Nullsoft's days seem dull and OVER. FB2k will only get better if improved step by step by the same excellent programmers wielding it. Keep upi the good work

Reply #1
Are you pointing out a bug in winamp, or just making propaganda of Foobar, because you like it?

It sounds more like the second.

The video plugin is in developement and actually, it should be much like any directshow player (with it's pros and cons).
I haven't got yet any problem, except that it doesn't size correctly mpeg2 videos (I have the elecard decoder). And I do have, mpeg1, mpeg2, wmv1/3, div3/5 and Xvid videos.

About the thing about the bitrate... seems childish, really... what's the exact meaning of "The variable bitrate meter was very innaccurate " ? maybe that it was showing 128 when it was 320? Or maybe that it was updating faster/slower? I doubt you can be sure of the first, (variable is variable), and I wouldn't call the second really a problem.

So, all in all, keep things separated. If you like foobar, ok. that's fine, but this argument for not using winamp was a bit inmature.

Actually, If foobar is going to continue with this interface, I expect it to be SIMILAR (I don't say the same or better) than apollo (http://www.iki.fi/hy/apollo , for those who don't know. btw, seems it is being discontinued.) THAT's a playlist system, not foobar's. (Not to say that I love the miniwindow mode also.)

Reply #2
This thread doesn't belong in the MP3 forum.

Also, I hope that this thread isn't going to turn into another winamp vs foobar2000 player bashing thread...

If you want to point out that you think foobar2000 is a good player, it's better to post that in the hosted foobar2000 forum.  You could probably even do so without justifying with fb2k is good because you think winamp isn't... and then saying that Nullsoft is over (which is honestly quite far from the truth, from the looks of things).

And foobar2000 can rewind and fast forward.  Use the arrow keys.

Reply #3
,Apr 19 2003 - 08:35 PM] THAT's a playlist system, not foobar's. (Not to say that I love the miniwindow mode also.)

It's a matter of preference. IMHO, foobar2000's title formatting library leaves this playlist design far behind.

Reply #4
,Apr 19 2003 - 08:35 PM] THAT's a playlist system, not foobar's. (Not to say that I love the miniwindow mode also.)

It's a matter of preference. IMHO, foobar2000's title formatting library leaves this playlist design far behind.

Apollo's tree structure in the playlist really is a strong advantage...

Reply #5
and when you play a game while running it in the background while cause the game to be choppy and the sound to distort.

I play CS and use CounterAmp to control my player, would foobar can do it
  . And I never encounter any choppy,etc crap.Maybe you should check your computer.

Another propaganda of Iraqi Information Minister  with a Winamp brain-washed™ person like me 
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Reply #6
Comedy "I use XMMS (which is basicaly a Winamp clone) 'cause foobar doesn't run on Linux" reply.

Reply #7
I agree the cpu consumption is always slight on mp3 decoding with winamp. This is probably your puter cutting into the pagefile. Yet another great pharm post by feces, your posts are great man they never cease to entertain me.
Proud member of the FLAC and MPC evangelism

Reply #8
I'm very impressed by FB2k  and Nullsoft's days seem dull and OVER.

Wow. That is so zealotish, it even hurts.

Reply #9
zealotish

Hmm, is the right word "zealotish" or "zealous"?

Reply #10

Dunno. Well, you got the meaning, didn't you? 

Reply #11

Dunno. Well, you got the meaning, didn't you? 

Hahaha. 

Even though I use foobar now, I don't have anything against Winamp.  I've used Winamp as my main audio player for a loooong time.  I remember when they used to have the "lo-fi" and "hi-fi" switch on the main window.  Well, something like that, I have a bad memory.

Reply #12
rjamorim ist teh anti-zeal0try zeal0t.

feces1223: you might want to try posting this on winamp forums instead, you will annoy more people there.

(ehem, someone move this thread where it belongs ?)
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #13
I noticed the new version of Winamp 2.91 makes Half Life TFC run choppy as well, although at first I thought it was my Radeon drivers.  Running Foobar2000 solves the chopiness.  For some reason I can't have shuffle and repeat enabled in FB2k though, must be a problem on my side.

Reply #14
actually, i get weird input freezes in quake2 when running fb2k in background (even when not playing), but i dont even bother researching that (can always run from music from another machine, meh)
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #15
Even though I use foobar now, I don't have anything against Winamp.  I've used Winamp as my main audio player for a loooong time.  I remember when they used to have the "lo-fi" and "hi-fi" switch on the main window.  Well, something like that, I have a bad memory.

Was that before or during the Nitrane era?

Heh, I remember the "Boost high-frequency" option on the old Nitrane core, back in the days when plugins were new and spiffy. That and the Win32 API playlist and EQ. That piece of software's sure come far, eh?

Reply #17

Was that before or during the Nitrane era?

I think it was in winamp 1.7 or 1.8.
If I remember well, the "button" was between the "khz" and the "mono/stereo" space.
It turned out 32bit decoding instead of 16bit, but my memory might be wrong here.

Reply #18
zealotish

It is entirely possible to be zealous about something, without being a zealot (i.e. zealous in the extreme).  This being so, then even though it is a coined word, "zealotish" seems about as good as any to convey the intended meaning. 

For absolute purists, however, there is no need to coin an adjective like zealotish when a noun phrase using zealot will do.  Examples:

he is zealotish = he is a zealot
he is so zealotish = he is such a zealot
etc.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #19
It is entirely possible to be zealous about something, without being a zealot (i.e. zealous in the extreme).  This being so, then even though it is a coined word, "zealotish" seems about as good as any to convey the intended meaning. 

For absolute purists, however, there is no need to coin an adjective like zealotish when a noun phrase using zealot will do.  Examples:

he is zealotish = he is a zealot
he is so zealotish = he is such a zealot
etc.

Regards,
Madrigal

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying it.

Seems I need to leard a lot until I can consider myself fluent in English.

Reply #20
Ugh, no "zealoutish" is not  real word; it's the product of a weak mind to wrapped up in its own delusion to use the proper word, "zealous".