Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 3.92 Stable (Read 3772 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 3.92 Stable

LAME 3.92 stable let the users to feed in values < 80 for --alt-preset now.

LAME 3.92 Stable

Reply #1
Warning: this is not official and is not documented. (you should understand: not properly tuned)

LAME 3.92 Stable

Reply #2
Originally posted by Gabriel
Warning: this is not official and is not documented. (you should understand: not properly tuned)

I'd tried to encode my songs with 8, 16, 24, 32, 48, 56, 64 for --alt-preset e.g. --alt-preset 16. 16, 24, 32, 48, 56, 64 are all with acceptable quality (left->right, worse->better). --alt-preset 8 is with very terrible artifacts.

It is good to have ultra low bitrates settings for LAME.

LAME 3.92 Stable

Reply #3
It is good to have ultra low bitrates settings for LAME.

You can encode using bitrate < 64 even before 3.92. 

Though that's not using alt presets. But it is still available.

LAME 3.92 Stable

Reply #4
It's been my impression that --alt-preset cbr xxx is only tuned for bitrates of 128 and above.  Not sure if that's correct, though.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

LAME 3.92 Stable

Reply #5
Well, alt-preset xxx will give you better results than just lame -h -b xxx.

But you're right, >80kbps values are better tuned

LAME 3.92 Stable

Reply #6
So the --alt-preset cbr command invokes some form of special tuning (more than -h -b) for the whole range of bitrates, not just 128 and above?  Not that I'd expect to do much below 128, perhaps 112 on some samples that have proven (with other codecs in vbr) to be very easy to encode.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

LAME 3.92 Stable

Reply #7
Originally posted by jarthel

You can encode using bitrate < 64 even before 3.92.  

Though that's not using alt presets. But it is still available.

Well I don't mean the --preset or any custom settings done by ourselves. I trust --alt-preset rather than those.

LAME 3.92 Stable

Reply #8
Originally posted by timcupery
It's been my impression that --alt-preset cbr xxx is only tuned for bitrates of 128 and above.  Not sure if that's correct, though.

--alt-preset cbr xxx had already been tuned for > 80kbps since LAME 3.90.2.

By the way, I am talking about --alt-preset only (ABR).