Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD drive cleaner (Read 1598 times) previous topic - next topic

CD drive cleaner

I'm having to do a lot of cleaning while ripping our CD collection.  I wonder if the optical drive in my MacBook Pro may need cleaning.  Years ago, there were "CD drive cleaning kits" sold, perhaps as a hangover from cassette drive cleaning kits.  Is there any such product that's any good, and still available?

CD drive cleaner

Reply #1
I'm having to do a lot of cleaning while ripping our CD collection.  I wonder if the optical drive in my MacBook Pro may need cleaning.  Years ago, there were "CD drive cleaning kits" sold, perhaps as a hangover from cassette drive cleaning kits.  Is there any such product that's any good, and still available?

Is the drive having trouble reading CDs? If not, no cleaning is necessary.

I've had tons of computers over the years, both personal and at work. I have never ever had to clean the optical drives in any of them, despite heavy usage. Just make sure the CDs you're ripping are clean and you shouldn't have a problem.