Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best format to backup data to DVD+R (Read 2551 times) previous topic - next topic

best format to backup data to DVD+R

i currently have most of my music collection backed up onto CDRs.

I have started to go though my entire collection and fixing all of the audio Tags just to get everthing just the way i like it. Also i will be Reencoding any low quality albums into a better format, most likely mpc--quality 7 --level or lame--ape.

After i get everything the way i want i am going to be backing up everything onto dvd+r media. I just bought a plextor px-504a burner. and now its time to "break it in".

so my stupid question is
what is the best disc format with using nero to backup data to dvds?

iso?
iso9660?
iso/udf?
udf?

what are the benifits of one way over another?

also if any one has any comments on what brand dvd+r are the best in longtivity and relieable quality.

currently i have some Verbatiums dvd+r 4x.

thanks

Reply #1
I do not know about which format to use when actually burning the DVD (and I would like to know myself)

But I suggest you to change your Encoding options. If you are going to use DVD, that have so much space compared to CDs, you should go lossless, maybe FLAC would be your best choice.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #2
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those settings for nero because none of the files you are backing up are very big.  UDF allows you to burn files of greater size than 2GB, or something like that I can't really remember right now.

I think you should try this software:
http://www.ntibackupnow.com/
You can't access the files on the dvd in windows explorer but it keeps track of what you've backed up already, it is very nice software for DVD backup.