Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burnatonce - Does it really need ASPI 4.6? (Read 3820 times) previous topic - next topic

Burnatonce - Does it really need ASPI 4.6?

Does burnatonce really need ASPI v.  4.6? I have Adaptec's ASPI v. 4.71.2 using Windows XP and it's working great. I've had ASPI problems in the past and I'd hate to downgrade to 4.6 just to have odd problems crop up again.
Why does the Adaptec ASPI layer download page say:

" Do NOT install ASPI32.EXE with Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Easy CD Creator 4.x, or with Windows Media Player 7.0. If you have one of these applications (or operating systems), you will be using a different aspi layer that will conflict with the one provided in this file."

Since I am using Windows XP, is it really a good idea to install ASPI 4.6? I am curious to try burnatonce, but I don't want to give myself problems later. Does anyone use burnatonce with XP and ASPI 4.6? Any problems?

Reply #1
Yes, you MUST use the older ASPI (4.60) for BAO to work on WinXP. There's no question about it. How will it affect your system? Depends on what you've got on it. If you have Easy CD Creator or Direct CD, you will maybe experience some trouble. If not, I would give it a try. I have Nero (which uses its own ASPI layer), EAC (which is using the Nero Aspi, but NOT the one Nero is using, but ANOTHER ONE installed on the EAC folder), DVD Decryper and BAO on my machine running WinXP. I downgraded my ASPI to make BAO work (it wouldn't otherwise) and so far, so good.
I think that the advice on Adaptec's page is the usual crap. But anyway, my lawyer reminds me to tell you that if you go with this and the computer blows up in your face, I am not liable! 
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #2
HI, I have the ASPI v4.71.2 installed on my computer also.  I would like to know how to uninstall it and install ASPI v4.60 so I can try BAO.  I don't see an add/remove entry anywhere.

Reply #3
yup...

as far as i know.. BAO runns fine with ahead`s aspi..
am not shure if this could mean that i runns on vob`s layer to...
cdrdao don`t need much to function..

Reply #4
Reiginsei:
Just install 4.60, it replaces all 4.7x files.

BTW, you actually need 4.7x installed to be able to install 4.60. 4.60 requires an adaptec product in your system to install. But the workaround for that is to first install 4.7x (which doesn't require and adaptec product) and then 4.60.

Reply #5
I had 4.71 and when i installed bao 0.95 two of the four files installed switched to 4.6... Funny eh? Apparently win2k default install is exactly like that, two 4.71, and two 4.6. Bleh, i do have an Adaptec scsi adapter, but with the 4.71 in all 4 files it would only work with devices plugged to the card. Now it even works with the ata drives...

Messy mess i don't understant, it works anyway.
She is waiting in the air

Reply #6
If I recall correctly, only 2 files are required for Adaptec's Windows 2000/XP ASPI layer. The other 2 are not installed by default, and despite what Nero Infotool says, the ASPI layer is fine..

If you had those two files, you probably used ForceASPI before or upgraded from 4.6...

Reply #7
Q. Burnatonce - Does it really need ASPI 4.6?
A.  Not really, but at least 95% of all aspi problems reported on burnatonce.com are caused by an aspi version later than 4.6.  This doesn't just apply to burnatonce either.

Q. Burnatonce - Does it work with ASPI 4.71.x?
A. Not really, later versions may work (with reg patch?) but I have not tried personally - all I hear about is when it does not work which is a lot.

Q. Burnatonce - So can I try 4.71.x?
A.  Of course you can!  No harm will be caused but unless you need some new feature included in the later versions it's not worth it - the adaptec site says aspi 4.60 is no good for xp but this is untrue.  burnatonce will not do any harm if aspi 4.71.x is installed but no support will be available to you... 

Jamie