Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replaygain values truncated to 6 decimal places (Read 3897 times) previous topic - next topic

Replaygain values truncated to 6 decimal places

I was comparing the fb2k replaygain feature with the FLAC 1.1.0 encoder (via CDex) and metaflac (stand alone). Both flac and metaflac generate 8 decimal place values, while fb2k's (0.7.6) ReplayGain Scanner v1.2 generates a truncated 6 decimal place value.

I would like to know if there is any practical impact of this truncation (note that the scanner truncates, not rounds, the number).

Note that I have tried googling and seraching this forum for an answer, but couln't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)

Reply #1
Probably not.  Truncation of the peak value might cause some distortion at the peaks in a naive limiter.  Rounding up is probably safer.  libFLAC does whatever snprintf() does when converting float to string; it might also truncate.

Josh

Reply #2
Thanks Josh.

I'll continue to use the FLAC encoder to add the replaygain values. (Just the purist in me:-)
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)

Reply #3
but my point was that flac might do the same thing (truncate, although to higher resolution).  and you should try for yourself, but you probably can't hear a 0.000001 dB difference in the gain value.

Josh

P.S. I doubt foobar2000 and other well-written player code trusts the peak value to have perfect resolution, so it won't have a detrimental effect anyway; using either one is fine.