Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Objective way of measuring audio quality? (Read 4496 times) previous topic - next topic

Objective way of measuring audio quality?

Hi,

I want to measure the quality of audio codecs, but I want an absolute objective way to do that (No listening tests).
Some (or everybody) of you will say that the most important thing is to measure how the file really SOUNDS, but I am curious about objective measurement.
Is there any tool or method which is able to do that?

Thanks in advance

Reply #1
Hi.  Please check out the FAQ, as it addresses some of this.

So-called "objective" methods of measuring sound quality are basically useless with respect to the way in which most of the lossy codecs discussed here work.

There have been some tools which attempt to objectively measure sound quality via some sort of perceptual model, but most of them have proven to give inaccurate results in many cases.

Reply #2
a properly conducted listening test (with enough participants) is completely objective.

what better human perceptual model is there but actual human hearing?

although, i concede that when there are clear differences to be heard, judging what is a better "sound" can be a difficult task.  but aesthetics cannot be objective by definition, so it's nothing to worry about.

imagine a scientific test to determine if a piece of art is "good" or not... critics would go out of business.

Reply #3
Easy to do, one just would need ABC/HR for images with 1-1000 scale.
Of course, critics are most probably biased, so you'd need to throw in some reproductions to fool them.
ruxvilti'a