Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 3 setup/advice questions for a newbie (Read 924 times) previous topic - next topic

3 setup/advice questions for a newbie

Hi,

After complaining about iTunes for way too long, I finally set up fb2k this weekend.  I LOVE IT.  It's like Christmas morning using it... why did I stay unhappy for so long?  Anyway, I've got the "black and blue v2" UI looking very nice at the moment and I've managed to configure most the crucial elements I want, but there are still a few things I could use some advice on:

1) is there an easy way to tell when songs were added to my library?  In itunes I used to have a "recently added" autoplaylist... I'd love something similar here.  Ideally it would be based on the "date modified" of the file, since at the moment all my files were added yesterday...

2) how do you view/manage songs currently in queue? I can't figure out how to set up a playlist to view this.  There must be a basic way somehow...

3) downloading album art to folders.  Any recommendations to do so?  Lots of my iTunes art isn't showing up, so I need to re-obtain it.  I'm currently using last.fm to "provide artwork to other artwork servers" and it seems to work so-so... any better recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

3 setup/advice questions for a newbie

Reply #1
1) is there an easy way to tell when songs were added to my library?  In itunes I used to have a "recently added" autoplaylist... I'd love something similar here.  Ideally it would be based on the "date modified" of the file, since at the moment all my files were added yesterday...
%last_modified in a custom column/sort/search/whatever. I don’t know which UI that theme is based upon, but it shouldn’t be hard to find the correct way to set something up. Examples: a new column in your playlist showing the date, which you can sort by in one click; or an autoplaylist sorted descending by date.

2) how do you view/manage songs currently in queue? I can't figure out how to set up a playlist to view this.  There must be a basic way somehow...
Firstly, the queue is not a playlist, so there’s one of your problems. I can’t emphasise this enough. The queue is a stopgap measure to quickly insert one or a few song(s) between the present and next song in the currently active playlist. It should not be used as a generic now-playing list or anything like that.

With that said, several viewers/editors exist. The official site has a list of components that can be filtered by tags. I suggest you start there, or Google foobar2000 queue view or something.

3) downloading album art to folders.  Any recommendations to do so?  Lots of my iTunes art isn't showing up, so I need to re-obtain it.  I'm currently using last.fm to "provide artwork to other artwork servers" and it seems to work so-so... any better recommendations?
Album Art Downloader XUI is a standalone program that will physically download the files. Biography View displays art on-the-fly from last.fm, which sounds similar to what you’re already doing, although you didn’t explain how. The other thing I found on a search was Discogs Tagger, though I have no idea whether it still works and can download in batch, so you’d have to try it out to see.