Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone recommendation (Read 6131 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone recommendation

Hi guys. I'm looking for a new pair of good headphone around $100. I already has my eye ath-m40 but maybe any of you has a better opinion on other headphone around that price. I always use my ath-im50 and I want to try switching to a good pair of headphone.
I will think about tomorrow's problem tomorrow

Headphone recommendation

Reply #1
My suggestion: Grado SR80e.
A lot of pros regarding 'being with the music' (don't know how to explain it better).
A little con regarding very low bass compared with headphones who can provide it. However bass is not really missing when listening with these cans.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Headphone recommendation

Reply #2
It may just be the type of music I listen to or my preferences in reproduction, but I've always liked the Sony headphones in the low-to-mid price category; they seem flat, with extended lows and highs - though some of their IEMs have a quite forward upper midrange.  I've lived with a pair of MDR-V100 for years and find them reasonably satisfying.  I've just ordered a pair of MDR-V6 based on other recommendations, and hope they are even better than the v100.

Headphone recommendation

Reply #3
I enjoy the Sennheiser HD 600. They work well for me.
Ad hominem attacks are not Science.

Headphone recommendation

Reply #5
I thought I posted this, but it seems I did not.

Are you looking for open or closed back headphones?

Do you want them on ear or over ear?

If you're not sure of the difference between closed and open headphones, this video does a relatively good job of explaining the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWn2HbCf1o

As for on ear vs over ear, it's pretty much what it sounds like.  An on-ear headphone has a smaller cup that sits on top of your ear.  An over-ear headphone has a much larger cup, and your ear fits inside the cup and they rest against your head.

Headphone recommendation

Reply #7
I thought I posted this, but it seems I did not.

Are you looking for open or closed back headphones?

Do you want them on ear or over ear?

If you're not sure of the difference between closed and open headphones, this video does a relatively good job of explaining the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWn2HbCf1o

As for on ear vs over ear, it's pretty much what it sounds like.  An on-ear headphone has a smaller cup that sits on top of your ear.  An over-ear headphone has a much larger cup, and your ear fits inside the cup and they rest against your head.

I was looking for a closed and over ear

Headphone recommendation

Reply #8
It may just be the type of music I listen to or my preferences in reproduction, but I've always liked the Sony headphones in the low-to-mid price category; they seem flat, with extended lows and highs - though some of their IEMs have a quite forward upper midrange.  I've lived with a pair of MDR-V100 for years and find them reasonably satisfying.  I've just ordered a pair of MDR-V6 based on other recommendations, and hope they are even better than the v100.

Sony products is limited in the store that I'm buying the headphone. They only has 3 product and all of them is beyond my budget

Headphone recommendation

Reply #9
I have heard the Brainwavz HM5 regarded highly.  They're $120 on Amazon.

The NVX-XPT100 is supposedly the same headphone rebranded.  They're $100 on Amazon right now.

I bought a refurbished pair of Sennheiser Amperiors for $99 and I love them, but they're on ear, not over ear.  Another one to look at is the Sennheiser Momentum.  They're on ear also, unfortunately.  But the Momentum 2.0 just came out, and the 1.0s can be had for a real good price, depending on color.  The red ones are $78 on Amazon right now.

Headphone recommendation

Reply #10
Sony products is limited in the store that I'm buying the headphone. They only has 3 product and all of them is beyond my budget

If you're limited to buying from that one store, then why don't you share the headphone models that they have available, and perhaps we can more quickly select the better valued items?

Headphone recommendation

Reply #11
I somehow don't think the HD600 is anywhere near the OP's price range.

He might be able to find a pair used.
Ad hominem attacks are not Science.

Headphone recommendation

Reply #12

If you're limited to buying from that one store, then why don't you share the headphone models that they have available, and perhaps we can more quickly select the better valued items?

Thank you very much. Here the link to that store. They has a only had 3 Sony product but they have many headphone from other company. Maybe they just don't like Sony. http://jaben.com.my/shopping2/home.php

Headphone recommendation

Reply #13
For ~$100 (USD), I have owned (and liked) both the Sennheiser HD 558 and the Audio-Technica M40.

The Sennheisers sound a bit more spacious and aren't as tight on the head, but it's easy for anyone around you to hear what you're hearing.

Headphone recommendation

Reply #14
For ~$100 (USD), I have owned (and liked) both the Sennheiser HD 558 and the Audio-Technica M40.

The Sennheisers sound a bit more spacious and aren't as tight on the head, but it's easy for anyone around you to hear what you're hearing.

How about ath-M40? I'm looking for a pair of closed and over ear headphone

Headphone recommendation

Reply #15
Value for money... Noontec.

I have the Zoro II HD. Disregard the Beats-rip-off design: they sound good. One of the better $100 of spending that I've done. (actually, it was a bit more: I bought from Amazon in UK).

I use HD600 at home. Unless you are going to get into the perpetual motion of the headphone "hobby," HD600 might be good enough for life, but you have to have quite a bit more cash, even though prices have fallen.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Headphone recommendation

Reply #16

They sound very good indeed, and are of course closed-back.

I'm not sure they're really much better than the less expensive A-T models (M20/M30) with a 40mm driver however; it seems like one of the big selling points of the 40fs is the wholly modular build-style, which I do like.

They do clamp the head quite tightly, and so are less comfortable than the Sennheiser 558. Whatever you do, avoid the Sennheiser 202/II; they are cheap for a reason.

Headphone recommendation

Reply #17

IME they (and the upscale ATH M50) aren't truely closed/over ear headphones.

Not that I don't like them. My wife had a pair of ATH40s on her work computer and this computer I'm typing on has ATHM50s. 

My idea of a  truly closed/over ear headphones are Sennheiser HD 380s.

I managed to get 2 pair refurb for about $100 a while back. Google is your friend, but not consistently productive.

Headphone recommendation

Reply #18
The $100 price point is tough for over ear.  There are some good on-ear choices at that price point.