Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless with no correction? Correction in other folder? (Read 7918 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless with no correction? Correction in other folder?

Whether probably precise restoration of file WAV from file WV without a file of correction?
Whether accommodation of files of correction in one folder with lossy files WV is mandatory?

Reply #1
If I understand you correctly:

1. The normal mode does not create a correction file, and is lossless.

2. I'm pretty sure that the correction file has to be in the same folder.  I can see no switch that would let you specify the path.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
If I understand you correctly:

1. The normal mode does not create a correction file, and is lossless.

2. I'm pretty sure that the correction file has to be in the same folder.  I can see no switch that would let you specify the path.

The normal mode does not create a correction file, and is lossless.-this i"m anderstand.

Hybrid mode without correction file-is not lossless? Yes?

Reply #3
Correction files may be in different folder from lossy ones if you use foobar for playback

Reply #4
Correction files may be in different folder from lossy ones if you use foobar for playback

Thank you! I"m anderstand!
But if other program use for playback?

Reply #5
Clearly that is dependent on the program.

Hybrid mode without correction file-is not lossless? Yes?
Yes, that is obviously not lossless.
Edited for clarity

Reply #6
Thanks for the info, I didn't realise.

The following may be of interest to the OP (it touches on both subjects, although given the above is not conclusive):

If the -c option is specified (in addition to the -b option), then WavPack will generate an additional file that will contain the information that was discarded to generate the lossy .wv file. This file will have the same name as the .wv file but will have the extension .wvc (the 'c' is for "correction"). When WvUnpack is used to restore the .wav file, it will attempt to find the .wvc file in the same directory as the .wv file. If it is found then the decompression will be lossless and will be reported as such, otherwise lossy decompression will be reported (assuming that any information was actually discarded during the original compression). If -c is specified but no actual information is discarded, the correction file will be deleted. The extra overhead involved with having these two files instead of a single pure lossless file is usually less than 1% of the original .WAV file and can be as low as 0.25% at high bitrates. Note that CRCs are stored for both the lossy and lossless versions, so error detection works correctly whether the .wvc file is used or not.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
NB: It is my understanding that wavpack.exe will check both the working directory and source directory (edit: and destination) when tagging from a file (and only a filename is passed).

I did wonder whether correction files may work similarly; however I just tested and it didn't work for me: the correction file in the working directory was ignored.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #8
Ok. And why foobar display bitrate of lossy file wavpack as lossless file? I'm convert to 400 kbps+correction,but foobar display 1000 kbps.    ...???...

Reply #9
Ok. And why foobar display bitrate of lossy file wavpack as lossless file? I'm convert to 400 kbps+correction,but foobar display 1000 kbps.    ...???...

Foobar shows the total bitrate being consumed, counting the lossy file and the correction file together.

The idea is that when the correction file is present, it's just like lossless, and so it shows the lossless bitrate.

Reply #10

Foobar shows the total bitrate being consumed, counting the lossy file and the correction file together.

The idea is that when the correction file is present, it's just like lossless, and so it shows the lossless bitrate.

Thank you!

Wavpack support ID3v2 tags? Or ID3v1 only?

Reply #11
You should use APEv2.  Wavpack will tag using this format, as will foobar.
I'm on a horse.