Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame Vbr 3.99 files with Xing only header (Read 5236 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame Vbr 3.99 files with Xing only header

Hi.
So I bought recent releases from Amazon these last weeks, and while I'm not complaining about/questioning quality by any means (lame 3.99 vbr with spectrals up to 22.x Khz, which is their new standard, lame 3.97 v0 isn't used anymore for new files), I'm a bit annoyed by the tagging embedded in these new files (talking about frame headers here, not ID3)

I don't know how they do, but looking with an hex editor, there's only a Xing header now, NOT followed by the lame part, then all mp3 frames, then at the very end of the file finally mention of lame version followed by 32 Bytes of stuff I can't decipher...
all players can read them without problem, but since there's only a main Xing header, not a single program can report settings/presets etc, it's just not in the file... (although spectrals show it's mostly 3.99 with -v0)

Is there a way to "fix" those files, ie generating/adding lame header ?
needless to say the "rebuild mp3 streams" / "fix vbr header" a la foobar can't take care of it...

here are screenshots from Xing header + end of the file :

)  , while regular 44khz files are FF FB 90 44 / FF FB 90 64 from all files I saw, so even if a lame header could be generated, I guess these should be fixed too...

Reply #1
I also used mp3packer on it to see what happens, xing header is rewritten and "expanded" from 156 to 208 bytes, and foobar now sees an encoding profile "mp3 vbr". although the lame "info" at the end of the file is now purged and audio identifier now sees "Xing" instead of "lame 3.99", not much of a progress

Reply #3
http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net

which I already use. but it's not able to transform xing into lame headers. I mostly use it to double check header size with my manual hex editing attempts
now I sure can try to add bits myself manually using pages like this
http://gabriel.mp3-tech.org/mp3infotag.html

but I wonder if the last bits of the lame header aren't some sort of a roadblock this way (the CRC stuff...)