Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Android 5 & OPUS (Read 26377 times) previous topic - next topic

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #25
The CM12 optimized version I have installed on Samsung Galaxy S4 has the libopus.

The find / -name *opus* command returns:
/system/lib/libstagefright_soft_opusdec.so
/system/lib/libopus.so

However I didn't test opus with it.

I also observe that raw cyanogen roms are most of the time broken, even when it a stable version.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #26
/system/lib/libopus.so

Strange, I have present these two libs also.
Could you test in both Eleven player and Poweramp?
Poweramp (uses Android system decoder) was able to recognize the audio file only after changing .opus to .ogg but no play though

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #27
Poweramp (uses Android system decoder) was able to recognize the audio file only after changing .opus to .ogg but no play though

Do either of those apps even support Opus?

Edit:  5.1 on my nexus reports that it supports Opus up to 510 kbit/s and 8 channels.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #28
What Android are U using? Though I've found respective opus libs installed I get no Opus playback.
Eleven doesn't recognize .opus files. .ogg files recognized with header parsing (track length identified) but nevertheless error on playback
Ringtones in Opus don't play either.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #29
What Android are U using? Though I've found respective opus libs installed I get no Opus playback.

AOSP.

Eleven doesn't recognize .opus files. .ogg files recognized with header parsing (track length identified) but nevertheless error on playback
Ringtones in Opus don't play either.

See first reply to this thread and also my subsequent reply. 

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #30
/system/lib/libopus.so

Strange, I have present these two libs also.

Just tested with files from opus-codec.org and it's work out of the box with Eleven. I will not test with Poweramp.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #31
Why native support is so important ?
Your computer OS do not support natively FLAC or Opus (windows 7, 8, 8.1 or Mac X and above), so you probably use Foobar 2000 or an equivalent to read FLAC or Opus files. With an Android based OS there is no issue to use any third party software capable of doing this.
For example I use Neutron music player (on a Xperia Z3 Compact) to read Opus files at average 130 Kbps bitrate and I do not care if my Android version support it natively or not.

Native Support is important because it means any app on Andoid can play an Opus file with a simple API call.  The same API call that most apps use now to play audio would just be able to decode OPUS files also.

So adding OPUS support would require minimal, if any, code change.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #32
According to this bug report, someone has found that Opus audio plays natively when in a Matroska container but not when in an Ogg container.  They don't specify whether the file used an .mka (Matroska audio) or .mkv (Matroska video) extension.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #33
Does anybody know how the things are going in Android 6?

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #34
According to this bug report, someone has found that Opus audio plays natively when in a Matroska container but not when in an Ogg container.  They don't specify whether the file used an .mka (Matroska audio) or .mkv (Matroska video) extension.

Are there any advantages to a Matroska audio container over an ogg container?

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #36

Google music plays ordinary .opus files for me marshmallow.

Is that the Google Play Music app on a Nexus?

I ask because the latest Android compatibility document for 6.0 (https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/source.android.com/en//compatibility/android-cdd.pdf) mandates Opus support but only within a Matroska container (see section 5.1).  OEMs can provide wider support if they choose but I'm unsure whether many would bother going beyond what Google demand.

Do you mind checking if Google have added full OS-wide support for Opus in an Ogg container, or whether it's just their music app? I'm running CyanogenMod 12.1/Android 5.1.1 and the music player doesn't see .mka or .opus files.  I can play Opus .mka files by opening them from the file explorer but .opus files do not play at all.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #37

Google music plays ordinary .opus files for me marshmallow.

Is that the Google Play Music app on a Nexus?

Correct.

Do you mind checking if Google have added full OS-wide support for Opus in an Ogg container, or whether it's just their music app?

Off hand i'm not sure how I would do this? 

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #38
Do you mind checking if Google have added full OS-wide support for Opus in an Ogg container, or whether it's just their music app?

Off hand i'm not sure how I would do this?

I'm not sure if it counts as OS-wide support, but I tried using .opus files as ring signal and alarm sound for the Google Clock app, and that worked fine on Android 6 (it didn't in 5.1). I tested this on a Nexus device.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #39
I'm not sure if it counts as OS-wide support, but I tried using .opus files as ring signal and alarm sound for the Google Clock app, and that worked fine on Android 6 (it didn't in 5.1). I tested this on a Nexus device.

I think it counts  Good to hear that! Hopefully my Moto X Play gets Marshmallow love soon.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #40

I think it counts  Good to hear that! Hopefully my Moto X Play gets Marshmallow love soon.

Yeah, this seems to indicate that support is baked-in at OS level.  Thanks for testing, Lear.  I now have an incentive to upgrade to the next CM.

Saratoga, the other test I'd suggest would be simply opening a .opus file from the file explorer.  According to the comprehensive Marshmallow review at arstechnica.com, Marshmallow introduces the first out-of-the-box file explorer.  On 5.1, opening a .opus file in a file explorer throws up an error.  If it plays-back the audio or presents the intents menu on 6.0, then I'd take that as further confirmation.

[EDIT: added hyperlink]

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #41

Just want to add: I just update my Moto X (2014) with Marshmallow. It does include .opus support, I can play .opus files with Google Play Music if I open them explicit. However Google Play Music does not seem to index them, so it is pretty useless.

And I can't select .opus files as ringtones too, so it seems Motorola did a half baked addition of .opus support in Marshmallow. While this may change until Marshmallow comes to Moto X Play, I wouldn't hold my hopes.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #42
And I can't select .opus files as ringtones too, so it seems Motorola did a half baked addition of .opus support in Marshmallow. While this may change until Marshmallow comes to Moto X Play, I wouldn't hold my hopes.

I didn't think about it at the time, but I probably used Solid Explorer to select the ring tone. Opus tracks doesn't show up in the "Media Storage" app (i.e., the default ring tone selector) for me either.

Android 5 & OPUS

Reply #43
I didn't think about it at the time, but I probably used Solid Explorer to select the ring tone. Opus tracks doesn't show up in the "Media Storage" app (i.e., the default ring tone selector) for me either.

What I am reporting is exactly this: I used ES Explorer (however the result should be the same with another File Manager), and got a toast notification after selecting my .opus file that roughly translates to this (my phone is setup to Portuguese, sorry):

This file format is not supported.

However, someone said that maybe renaming a .opus file to .ogg may work, without tag support though. Not really important for ringtones, however I would like to listen to those .opus files in Google Play Music too. So yeah, a half baked support of .opus files in anything that isn't a Nexus (or at least anything coming from Motorola).