Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: amp for pmc tb2s plus (Read 6495 times) previous topic - next topic

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Hi all im posting here for an informed opinion as I  know on an audiophile  website ill just get matketing hype ! trying to find the cheapest low distortion no snake oil amp for these passive speakers :

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/passive/tb2s

I know it's good to have plenty of headroom with amps but other than that I'm with the audio critic in that most reasonable amps have inaudible difference  I do not need a bryston .... something cheap 200w per channel is fine some recommend class d but I don't know.....any suggestions  ?
I work proffesionally in audio so transient response is important , as I suspect is damping. At the moment I have an art sla1 and have got the room down to plus/minus 5 db from 40 to 20000 hz.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #1
I don't have a specific recommendation.

Any good modern solid state amplifier will not have issues with transient response, damping factor, or frequency response.  (Transient response is related to frequency response so as long as the amp is flat to 20khz or so, it's nothing to worry about.)

I assume you are just looking for a power amp?      For the most bang-for-the-buck, I shop somewhere that sells pro audio equipment, such as Musician's Friend.   

Since I assume this for "studio use", be aware that many high-power amplifiers have cooling fans and the acoustic noise could be an issue. 

200W is probably overkill for that little 6-inch woofer.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #2

Any good modern solid state amplifier will not have issues with transient response, damping factor, or frequency response.  (Transient response is related to frequency response so as long as the amp is flat to 20khz or so, it's nothing to worry about.)

I assume you are just looking for a power amp?      For the most bang-for-the-buck, I shop somewhere that sells pro audio equipment, such as Musician's Friend.   

Since I assume this for "studio use", be aware that many high-power amplifiers have cooling fans and the acoustic noise could be an issue. 

Hi very inefficient transmission line design. Manufacturer recommended 200w per channel but not to use full power  (headroom). What the difference if any between a power amp and hifi audio wise  ?

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #3

Hi very inefficient transmission line design. Manufacturer recommended 200w per channel but not to use full power  (headroom). What the difference if any between a power amp and hifi audio wise  ?

Rated at 90 dB/W which is average efficiency.

I'd rather have a pair of LSR308s and skip the purchase decision about amps.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #6
Around $200usd http://alesis.com/ra500

Or this suspiciously-similar Behringer A500: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/A500.aspx

Which was part of a inexpensive setup that handily matched high-end audiophile gear in a well-known blinded test: http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

I've bench tested, listening room evaluated and stress tested A500s in live sound situations. It is what it is - a good amplifier with a caveat (below). It has a little design flaw that seems to have little or no audible consequences and does not hurt reliability. It can be completely avoided pretty easily.

An interesting comparison can be formed with the classic QSC USA400 which is also a good 120 wpc power amp. But the QSC is old tech and weighs twice as much if not more. Cost more than twice as much in constant dollars, so maybe 3 times as much in inflated dollars. The cost and avoirdupois does not help the performance or sound.

The A500 part-volume distortion problem is shown here: A500 Youtube Video  It's about 0.5% THD @ 1 KHz which is worse looking numerically as compared to its sonic effects on music, but only with the volume control set to about 70%. At lower and higher gain control settings, THD drops to less than 0.02%. The problem is due to the design of the input buffer amp, not parts quality or some such.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #7

Or this suspiciously-similar Behringer A500: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/A500.aspx

Which was part of a inexpensive setup that handily matched high-end audiophile gear in a well-known blinded test: http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

I've bench tested, listening room evaluated and stress tested A500s in live sound situations. It is what it is - a good amplifier with a caveat (below). It has a little design flaw that seems to have little or no audible consequences and does not hurt reliability. It can be completely avoided pretty easily.

An interesting comparison can be formed with the classic QSC USA400 which is also a good 120 wpc power amp. But the QSC is old tech and weighs twice as much if not more. Cost more than twice as much in constant dollars, so maybe 3 times as much in inflated dollars. The cost and avoirdupois does not help the performance or sound.

The A500 part-volume distortion problem is shown here: A500 Youtube Video  It's about 0.5% THD @ 1 KHz which is worse looking numerically as compared to its sonic effects on music, but only with the volume control set to about 70%. At lower and higher gain control settings, THD drops to less than 0.02%. The problem is due to the design of the input buffer amp, not parts quality or some such.

yes I had been considering the a500 until I saw that but apparently  you can change some calibration setting in the amp scroll down

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/proaudio/behringer-a500.html

so it might be a good option eh ? No idea how to change those wee calibration knobs though....

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #8

Just going by what the pmc guy said....how flat are the jbls out if curiosity - anyone measured them ?

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #9

Just going by what the pmc guy said....how flat are the jbls out if curiosity - anyone measured them ?

Take the latest version of Internet Explorer (11.9600.17690) here:

Gedlee Speaker Polar Map Program Link

One you are sure you have the stated prerequisites, press the Run button which will download a SETUP.EXE file.

Run the Setup program which should load and start the Polar Map program.

Press the Select button in Polar Map to bring up the list of systems that have been tested.

The Behringer B2031 is titled "Behringer"

The LSR308 is titled: "JBL_LSR308"

I notice that I can also run Polar Map under 64 bit Chrome running under Windows 8.1

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #10

yes I had been considering the a500 until I saw that but apparently  you can change some calibration setting in the amp scroll down

so it might be a good option eh ? No idea how to change those wee calibration knobs though....

The simple solution is to run it with the gain turned all the way, and drive it with a low impedance source like just about any SS preamp or mixer.  The distortion is vastly reduced when the volume is below 12 o'clock. Its worst at about 2:30 pm.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #11

The simple solution is to run it with the gain turned all the way, and drive it with a low impedance source like just about any SS preamp or mixer.  The distortion is vastly reduced when the volume is below 12 o'clock. Its worst at about 2:30 pm.

Yeah well I can just adjust the outputs level of my RME card - there's likely to be some loud accidents though !

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #12

Take the latest version of Internet Explorer (11.9600.17690) here:

Gedlee Speaker Polar Map Program Link

One you are sure you have the stated prerequisites, press the Run button which will download a SETUP.EXE file.

Run the Setup program which should load and start the Polar Map program.

Press the Select button in Polar Map to bring up the list of systems that have been tested.

The Behringer B2031 is titled "Behringer"

The LSR308 is titled: "JBL_LSR308"

I notice that I can also run Polar Map under 64 bit Chrome running under Windows 8.1

What a fantastic resource ! Thankyou. I have been looking for something like this for a while ...... You seem like somneone who values a critical approach so I hope will not take offence but I have to ask - this is you know.... independant of market forces, bribery, the audiophile mafia etc etc right ? Im assuming so as it seems to be measuring behringers gear as flatter than the Geddes stuff - which seems pretty honest of them ! However if I understand anyone can upload to the database ?

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #13
What a fantastic resource ! Thankyou. I have been looking for something like this for a while ...... You seem like someone who values a critical approach so I hope will not take offence but I have to ask - this is you know.... independent of market forces, bribery, the audiophile mafia etc etc right ?

Lets put it this way. I was present for taking the data for about 1/4 of the speakers listed. I'm familiar with the software used and I've assisted hands-on with the data gathering. If the data was fudged for presentation on the web to any significant degree, I'd know it.

I've known Earl for a couple-three decades and he's a straight-shooter. Yes he has his opinions and hobby horses but he would never intentionally fudge data or give a misleading analysis.

I'm assuming so as it seems to be measuring Behringers gear as flatter than the Geddes stuff - which seems pretty honest of them!

What you see is what we got. Earl does not favor on-axis frequency response as the be-all and end-all, but puts a heavy weight on the off-axis data. I agree.

However if I understand anyone can upload to the database ?

People can submit data points, and Earl will run his software on them, and if the data seems credible, he'll post it.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #14
What a fantastic resource ! Thankyou. I have been looking for something like this for a while ...... You seem like someone who values a critical approach so I hope will not take offence but I have to ask - this is you know.... independent of market forces, bribery, the audiophile mafia etc etc right ?

Lets put it this way. I was present for taking the data for about 1/4 of the speakers listed. I'm familiar with the software used and I've assisted hands-on with the data gathering. If the data was fudged for presentation on the web to any significant degree, I'd know it.

I've known Earl for a couple-three decades and he's a straight-shooter. Yes he has his opinions and hobby horses but he would never intentionally fudge data or give a misleading analysis.

I'm assuming so as it seems to be measuring Behringers gear as flatter than the Geddes stuff - which seems pretty honest of them!

What you see is what we got. Earl does not favor on-axis frequency response as the be-all and end-all, but puts a heavy weight on the off-axis data. I agree.

However if I understand anyone can upload to the database ?

People can submit data points, and Earl will run his software on them, and if the data seems credible, he'll post it.

Thats great - I will definitely help spread the word the audio world badly needs something like this - especially for studio monitors  - I have a superlux ecm 999 measurement microphone - is that good enough to measure quasi anechoic ally ? its supposed to be pretty flat (calibrated in the circuitry I guess) but obviously not as good as high end expensive measurement microphones.
Off axis measurements make sense unless you are using a set square to position your head everytime you sit down !

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #15
That's great - I will definitely help spread the word the audio world badly needs something like this - especially for studio monitors  - I have a superlux ecm 999 measurement microphone - is that good enough to measure quasi anechoic ally ? its supposed to be pretty flat (calibrated in the circuitry I guess) but obviously not as good as high end expensive measurement microphones.
Off axis measurements make sense unless you are using a set square to position your head everytime you sit down !

The Superlux ECM 999 looks like yet another Behringer ECM 8000 clone, which is to say that it looks like it could be very adequate.

Geddes does these measurements with a fine piece of readily downloadable PC freeware named Holme Impulse.

He has a speaker stand about 4 feet tall with a protractor built into it, and manually rotates the speaker and takes a set of measurements, repeat. For more details, please contact him care of his web site.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #16
That's great - I will definitely help spread the word the audio world badly needs something like this - especially for studio monitors  - I have a superlux ecm 999 measurement microphone - is that good enough to measure quasi anechoic ally ? its supposed to be pretty flat (calibrated in the circuitry I guess) but obviously not as good as high end expensive measurement microphones.

The Superlux ECM 999 looks like yet another Behringer ECM 8000 clone, which is to say that it looks like it could be very adequate.

Geddes does these measurements with a fine piece of readily downloadable PC freeware named Holme Impulse.

He has a speaker stand about 4 feet tall with a protractor built into it, and manually rotates the speaker and takes a set of measurements, repeat. For more details, please contact him care of his web site.

I've used Holm impulse response on several oçasons. Recently I've been using rew . I guess the idea is to be close enough that the room doesn't effect the readings. I will measure the pmcs, ns10s,and blue sky media desk when I have time. They have uber high end genelec and atc etc at work in well treated rooms - I might have a go at them as well see if  there's any surprises.
So he rotates the speaker rather than moves the mic ? You could move the mic instead ? Also if you want to measure the speaker not the room wouldn't it make more sense to use a more directional mic than an omni ?

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #17
So he rotates the speaker rather than moves the mic ?

Yes. His rig is made out of plywood and it is excruciatingly simple. The bearing is plywood sliding on plywood and the pivot is a wood screw. Lines corresponding to various angles of interest were drawn on the supporting piece of plywood.

You could move the mic instead?

Harder to do with good repeatability. Been there, done that!

Also if you want to measure the speaker not the room wouldn't it make more sense to use a more directional mic than an omni ?

The room is relatively easy to control except at low frequencies and almost all mics are omnis at low frequencies anyway. Directional mics also strongly tend to have non-uniform response or high prices or both.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #18
How about this ?

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/mini-x-100

Also in general I wonder how reliable are the amps in the active monitors (like the LSR 30x suggested)
as compared to ones like mini-x-100 or similar smaller amps...

else otherwise passive speakers can last very long . (actives do help avoid some clutter on the desk)

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #19
How about this ?

Also in general I wonder how reliable are the amps in the active monitors (like the LSR 30x suggested)

As always you have to look at that end of the system as a system, not disconnected individual components.

Integrating the speakers and the amplifiers with intelligent system controls provides many opportunities to increase the over all reliability of active speakers. In particular the active part of the active monitor can be a key element in a driver protection system.

An early exemplary and very popular active loudspeaker product, the Monsoon computer speakers had a circuit that continuously monitored the DC resistance and therefore the temperature of the loudspeaker voice coils and backed off on the power delivered to them if they were in danger of being damaged.  Consumers and the manufacturer were rewarded with improved reliability and reduced warranty costs.

The electronics package of the LSRs is a bit of mystery meat - we don't know much about it, whether what sample rate it runs at or the details of its crossover or what protection schemes are actually implemented, but the potential is great.

else otherwise passive speakers can last very long . (actives do help avoid some clutter on the desk)

Yup - like the tweeters of 2 out of three of my 3 Infinity 100% passive PC 351s which had to be replaced within about a year.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #20
An early exemplary and very popular active loudspeaker product, the Monsoon computer speakers had a circuit that continuously monitored the DC resistance and therefore the temperature of the loudspeaker voice coils and backed off on the power delivered to them if they were in danger of being damaged. Consumers and the manufacturer were rewarded with improved reliability and reduced warranty costs.

The electronics package of the LSRs is a bit of mystery meat - we don't know much about it, whether what sample rate it runs at or the details of its crossover or what protection schemes are actually implemented, but the potential is great

At the current pricing, JBLs would have advertised this feature, isn't it ? or that's something assumed in actives ?

Yup - like the tweeters of 2 out of three of my 3 Infinity 100% passive PC 351s which had to be replaced within about a year.

Well passives can go bad, but on average , I thought, they might be better.

amp for pmc tb2s plus

Reply #21
How about this ?

As always you have to look at that end of the system as a system, not disconnected individual components.

Integrating the speakers and the amplifiers with intelligent system controls provides many opportunities to increase the over all reliability of active speakers. In particular the active part of the active monitor can be a key element in a driver protection system.

An early exemplary and very popular active loudspeaker product, the Monsoon computer speakers had a circuit that continuously monitored the DC resistance and therefore the temperature of the loudspeaker voice coils and backed off on the power delivered to them if they were in danger of being damaged.  Consumers and the manufacturer were rewarded with improved reliability and reduced warranty costs.

The electronics package of the LSRs is a bit of mystery meat - we don't know much about it, whether what sample rate it runs at or the details of its crossover or what protection schemes are actually implemented, but the potential is great.

Yup - like the tweeters of 2 out of three of my 3 Infinity 100% passive PC 351s which had to be replaced within abo

ut a year.

I generally buy active speakers but in this case the deciding factor was cost. The same model of pmc but active costs 2500 pounds these passives cost 850 I can buy he same amps as the actives have and it would still cost less but I am happy enough with the amp I have considering  that differences in amps are generally considered inaudible. Incidentally my yam aha ns10s have lasted me ten 15 year now and still sound like crap