Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audiochecker (Read 18967 times) previous topic - next topic

Audiochecker

Hello,

I've read somewhere that Audiochecker is fair enough but not 100% reliable. I've just checked some of my flac files and Audiochecker tells me sometimes that a file is 95% MPEG (while the rest of the album is 100% CDDA).

How can it be that sure (95%) while it is completely wrong since I ripped it myself from a CD? (or maybe my brand new CD was created from MPEG files  )

Thank you in advance.

Audiochecker

Reply #1
...And if Audiochecker is reliable then all the flac files I bought online are transcoded from MPEG files...

(You'll say that if I didn't realise that listening to them, then it doesn't matter. Still, it's a CON!)

Audiochecker

Reply #4
Ok, though my reply ought to convey that, personally, I don't have much faith in the accuracy of that program.  If it doesn't, then hopefully this reply does.

It is true that there are CDs that can be purchased from legitimate places that are sourced from lossy, however.

I recommend searching the forum as this topic comes up quite a bit.

Audiochecker

Reply #5
It's just a known limitation of the software. Audiochecker is relying on the Aucdtect software (separately maintained, and not updated in a long time) to do the analysis and generate those percentages, which are an estimation of how likely it is not a lossy transcode.

As you can see in the first graph at the Aucdtect testing results page there's about a 7% margin of error.

It's well-known that tracks without a lot of high-frequency content can produce a 'bad' result.

Audiochecker

Reply #6
Thank you both!

I recommend searching the forum as this topic comes up quite a bit.

That's what I did but I made the mistake to search for "Audiochecker" in the CD Hardware/Software setcion (which gave me one closed thread)!

Audiochecker

Reply #7
Sorry for the thread revival, but just wanted to note for future google searches that I did a test with Audiochecker 2.0 beta.  I converted some songs that I downloaded from iTunes (256kbps AAC) to FLAC.  I then used Audiochecker to analyze the files and it showed that all but one were CDDA with 100% probability.  This is proof enough to me that Audiochecker is not completely reliable if you weren't already skeptical.

Audiochecker

Reply #8
Sorry for the thread revival, but just wanted to note for future google searches that I did a test with Audiochecker 2.0 beta.  I converted some songs that I downloaded from iTunes (256kbps AAC) to FLAC.  I then used Audiochecker to analyze the files and it showed that all but one were CDDA with 100% probability.  This is proof enough to me that Audiochecker is not completely reliable if you weren't already skeptical.

Agree, I did few test myself in the past (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=808771) and I had the same results. The software is not 100% reliable.

Audiochecker

Reply #9

Hi... you can try with auCDtech Task Manager...
The best, of the best, for me

http://y-soft.org/English/products/auCDtect-Task-Manager/