Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Could possibly SBC codec benefit from dither? (Read 4156 times) previous topic - next topic

Could possibly SBC codec benefit from dither?

From what I've yet understood from specification and source code, SBC just culls subband samples to their calculated depth. Would it be possible to reduce error of subband sample bitdepth reduction using dither, and perhaps even noise-shaping?

I.e. just plainly adding appropriate amount of TPDF dither to each subband sample if it's without noise shaping. If it's with noise shaping, then have a stack of last 80 or 160 (Didn't yet figure out exact amount) to perform windowing and decoding back into standard in-order samples, adding them to corresponding input samples and noise-shaping the error, then converting new-formed samples again into subband samples and culling them according to already calculated bit allocation.

Would it work or the transforms would convert the harmless dither noise into something like frequency modulation?

Reply #1
If enough resolution is used throughout the calculations then the only time that you need to add dither is when the resolution is reduced to its final bitdepth to pass to the DAC.

Reply #2
If enough resolution is used throughout the calculations then the only time that you need to add dither is when the resolution is reduced to its final bitdepth to pass to the DAC.

As far as I understand, SBC essentially reduces bit depth of integer subband samples, which are derived by matrixing PCM samples, so it's not like, for example, mp3, which has floating point coefficients, at all. Therefore, as bit depth is reduced, it seems to be beneficial to preserve information in culled bits by dithering the samples.

Reply #3
I see, so you are talking about encoding rather than decoding.