Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HD Size (Read 10536 times) previous topic - next topic

HD Size

Reply #25
Why not try to partition the drive using a different program. The one you are using might not support drives over 137gb....

I've tried doing this via Windows and via Seagate's DiscWizard software.

Have you tried hooking it up internally to try to format it there?

That was my next step.  The problem is that the only tower I have is my work machine.  I can't just open it up in the middle of the day to put in a hard drive.  Our IS department would not be happy.

It's also sort of odd that it shows 128GB and not 137GB (limit).

It shows 137GB during the partitioning but only 128GB in Windows Explorer after the partitioning/formatting is done.

Run regedit.exe and add following value: EnableBigLba=1
in
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\

Make sure you have SP1 installed!!!

It's disabled by default even if SP1 is installed

First, that is already in my registry.  Second, according to Microsoft you are incorrect.  Here is the relevant text from the Knowledge Base.

Windows XP SP1 includes 48-bit LBA support for ATAPI disk drives. With this support, you can use hard disks that are larger than the current 137 GB limit. By default, support is enabled in SP1.
[Referring to the EnableBigLba=1 setting] The preceding registry setting is ignored in Windows XP SP1 and later.

Another oddity that makes me think that 48-bit is already turned on is that DiscWizard is supposed to...

determine if a Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) is required to overcome a BIOS limitation, and apply the DDO automatically if it is needed.

It didn't do so nor does it give me the option to apply one manually.  The options are grayed out.

HD Size

Reply #26
You're right - does that mean that mp3s aren't binary, or don't have anything to do with PCs? While WMA files do?

The conext isn't always clear - that's exactly the point.

It means you don't understand what WMA files aren't CBR. It means that you don't understand that context with 'bps' is always base 10. Ask telephone guys why that is.

HD Size

Reply #27
You're right - does that mean that mp3s aren't binary, or don't have anything to do with PCs? While WMA files do?

The conext isn't always clear - that's exactly the point.

It means you don't understand what WMA files aren't CBR.

I know that much, but I've never used WMA. I'd read that it used a different definition of k - appologies if the reference was incorrect.

#
It means that you don't understand that context with 'bps' is always base 10. Ask telephone guys why that is.

That was mentioned in the link in my first post.

So you think it's logical that an 8kbps audio file (i.e. 1000 Bytes per second) requires 0.9765625kB of HDD space per second?

As I've said from the start, I don't expect the world to go "my way" (  ) on this, but at Hydrogen Audio, where computers and audio meet, I would expect people to see that the present situation isn't ideal.

Back on topic: is there a resource listing the maximum HDD size that can be accomodated by each OS (+ mother board combination), and any tweaks that are required to meet or exceed this?

Cheers,
David.

HD Size

Reply #28
So you think it's logical that an 8kbps audio file (i.e. 1000 Bytes per second) requires 0.9765625kB of HDD space per second?

yes, I understand 1 kilobit per second is 1000 bits per second, and 1 kilobyte is 1024 bytes. Do you have trouble accepting that a baker's dozen isn't 12?

HD Size

Reply #29
Do you have trouble accepting that a baker's dozen isn't 12?

No, but I'd have a problem if the science and engineering community started quantifying things in baker's dozens!

D.

HD Size

Reply #30
I took the drive out of the enclosure in preparation to install it internally and try formatting it that way.  I noticed that the jumper block was set for a master or a single drive.  Could that have anything to do with the issue?  Does anyone think that if I remove the jumper block (to set the drive as a slave) it might fix the issue?

HD Size

Reply #31
No, it probably wouldn't even work if you set it as slave.

HD Size

Reply #32
Thanks for all of your help.  I was able to install the drive internally.  (Shhhh, don't tell my IS department.)  It showed the full capacity and I formatted it fine.  I then put it back in the enclosure.  The drive shows 147GB (as expected from earlier in the thread.)

HD Size

Reply #33
LOL!
Glad that worked, still makes no sense at all