Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Resampling to 48kHz? (Read 3116 times) previous topic - next topic

Resampling to 48kHz?

Whatever happened to the idea of resampling to 48KHz when encoding in lame?  I remember hearing it increased quality across the board at all bitrates, however there was some sort of bug in lame that produced artifacts when doing this.  There was also a problem when one wished to burn to an audio CD in 44 KHz... (not a major problem at all to me).

Has this idea been abandoned, or is someone still working on this?

Resampling to 48kHz?

Reply #1
Besides LAME being untuned for 48kHz, it hasn't really been proven that resampling increases the quality. You get less bits per sample, for one thing. Even if you can increase temporal resolution, there's less bits to encode all the preecho coefficients anyway.

Resampling to 48kHz?

Reply #2
it hasn't really been proven that resampling increases the quality

That's interesting. I'm glad to hear this, because I thought I was missing something. There are some technical (and lengthy) discussions on the AVS forum that suggest the opposite...

link

link2

Resampling to 48kHz?

Reply #3
Why don't these people (at the AVS fora) do any blind testing - but just claim some things that just wouldn't pass on hydrogenaudio?

Resampling to 48kHz?

Reply #4
There are always different points of view, along with supporting logic, but the discussions are on the same topic as this thread, which is why I made the references...

I would imagine (theoretically) that 24/96 should sound better than 16or24/44. But I would also assume that this depends on the quality of the rest of your equipment. In my particular case, the analog stereo output equipment I own is superior to my surround receiver that works with the S/PDIF signal (and I don't think 24/96 outputs to analogOUT of the ap24/96 soundcard; only via S/PDIFout)...

I was curious about 48KHz .mpc encoding (in theory, because I don't think it exists now), but I am also sure that the developers and you guys have thought of it before, and opted to go down a different road-and I'm not even sure analogRCA connections can handle that (but I am guessing)...

The goal is the same, though: to achieve the highest quality output. I figured some of the members here would have a different take on things; I'm simply curious as to what these opinions and theories might be...