Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lame 3.91 MMX/EAC V0.9 beta 1-optimal/stable settings (Read 3223 times) previous topic - next topic

lame 3.91 MMX/EAC V0.9 beta 1-optimal/stable settings

dear all

I know this is a lively discussion, I just need some short answers which parameter to use for lame 3.91 MMX in combination with EAC V0.9 beta 1 from 19. January 2002 when extracting audio from cds to mp3.

I plan to convert my whole audio collection (about 400 albums), and I'm interested getting very good quality with a stable configuration of EAC and lame. I already read through coaster factorys tutorial on EAC and some discussion threats about optimal settings for lame 3.91 MMX. I know there are people tending to --r3mix settings, other to the new --alt-preset x

I do want to use VBR, another question is either the middle value to be set to 196 or 256 kbit/s?

_about my environment__________

I'm using my Dell Notebook (Latitude C600/C500) with build in LG DVD-ROM DRN8080B  to extract audio cds with EAC.

TAB "EXTRACTION METHOD"
- Secure Mode
- Drive has Accurate Stream feature
- Drive caches audio data

TAB "DRIVE"
- Drive read command = "Read Command MMC1"

TAB "OFFSET/SPEED"
- Use read sample offset correction="0"
- Allow speed reduction during extraction

TAB "GAB DETECTION"
- Detection method B
- Detectio accuracy "Inaccurate"

=> Settings taken when examinig drive by EAC
=> Have not yet testet drive with what Coaster Factories Tutorial tells about GAP Detection

My drives seems quite similar to the LG DVD ROM DVD 4/24 (DRN-8040B) found in Coaster factories database....

http://www.ping.be/satcp/eacoffsets01.htm#-

....but there are differences (eg. audio caching). So I assume the drives in this database are for PC's and not Portables.

You can find my drive at LG's website:
http://www.lge.com/c_product/catalog/produ...rmation.jsp?mdl _pfx=4CDDS&m
dl_cod=DRN-8080B&mdl_mak=1&navigation=1,18,3

_plans__________

I plan to buy a DAS-750-PRO from lansonic to store my mp3 on (http://www.lansonic.com)

Are you experienced with this? Are there special hints regarding the eac options (eg. or special compression options)?

FYI:
I already asked lansonic and they are supporting ID3 Version 1 and 2. The DAS is capable of playing WAV, MP3, MP2 and our own SonaPaK lossless compression. No chance to play MPC and Ogg Vorbis files.

The DAS is capable of playing all variable bit rate MP3 files.

_summarized question______________

So please do not bore me with experimental settings. What I'm need are stable systems to get optimal sound quality - please see me as a beginner.

thx in advance    scsi

Reply #1
Originally posted by scsi44
I plan to convert my whole audio collection (about 400 albums), and I'm interested getting very good quality with a stable configuration of EAC and lame. I already read through coaster factorys tutorial on EAC and some discussion threats about optimal settings for lame 3.91 MMX. I know there are people tending to --r3mix settings, other to the new --alt-preset x

you should use --alt-preset x. if you browse through this forum you will see why.

you should not worry about eac too much. usually eac detects your drive correctly and if you don't have any problems leave the settings alone.

regards; ilikedirt

Reply #2
Originally posted by ilikedirtthe2nd

--r3mix and --alt-preset x *are* vbr presets. vbr is the optimal choice for quality.

regards; ilikedirt

I know its an endless discussion:
- whats the difference between --r3mix and --alt-preset x ?
- is it true that with 3.91 MMX --r3mix is obsolete?

Which settings do you personally use in 3.91 MMX?

regards    scsi

Reply #3
--r3mix includes some predefined switches. Nothing more.
--alt-presets include switches and code level modifications. It is tuned by Dibrom and produces as good quality as possible for given bitrate.

I think best mode for you would be --alt-preset standard. Personally I only use Musepack.

Reply #4
The main difference between r3mix and alt-preset standard  (aps) is the quality. Aps does better on most if not all samples that r3mix has trouble with. Generally speaking you will hear less artifacting when using aps rather than r3mix. The bitrate of aps is higher than r3mix though (roughly 20kbps). Aps includes code level modifications which make the encoder "smarter" than possible with just command line switches.

There hasn't been any recent development on the r3mix side, allthough it seems like Roel (the guy who "invented" the r3mix switch) is looking into improving it (or maybe dropping it alltogether in favor of aps).

If you want higher quality than aps can offer, try alt-preset extreme. At these bitrates though other formats like mpc, ogg and aac are well worth taking into consideration.

If I have to use mp3 I go for aps. Otherwise mpc is my format of choice! Personally, I see no reason to use r3mix anymore.