Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: error message: "Unable to open item for playback (Object not foun (Read 17140 times) previous topic - next topic

error message: "Unable to open item for playback (Object not foun

I am using the latest prd release: foobar0.9.6.1.

I have ripped a bunch of my CDs to FLAC using EAC.  When I view these CDs in foobar, the majority look fine.  A minority, however, are displayed with every track being repeated: there is one version for the FLAC file and a second version for the WAV file.  The FLAC files play fine, whereas when foobar tries to play one of the WAV files it generates an error dialog with a message like
   Unable to open item for playback (Object not found):
   "F:\media\audio_flac\Classical\8_Baroque\b_Misc\1994 ~ Biber · Finger · Neruda · Vejvanovsky\Biber · Finger · Neruda · Vejvanovsky.cue" / index: 1
Sometimes, the "Object not found" is replaced with "Sharing violation".

Now, there are no WAV files in the directory--EAC's default configuration to delete them after ripping is in force.

So why does foobar think that there are WAV files in there?  Well, I assume that it has to do with the cue sheet that is also in the directory along with the flac files.  In EAC, the first action that i do before starting the FLAC rip is to generate a CUE sheet:
   Action --> Create CUE Sheet --> Current Gap Settings
I stick with EAC's default choice (Append Gaps To Previous Track, which I understand is simply an alias for Multiple WAV Files with Gaps... (Noncompliant)).

EAC uses .wav file estensions inside the cue sheet, for instance
FILE "01 ~ H. I. Franz von Biber (1644-1704) ~ Sonata No. 4 in C major for Trumpet, Strings & Basso Continuo.wav" WAVE

But why do most of my albums not have this double display and error dialog issue?  What went wrong with those albums that do have this issue?

I presume that my cue sheet somehow got mixed up, at least that is what this thread
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=64775
would lead me to suspect.  But I have no clue as to what exactly is wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Reply #1
In EAC, the first action that i do before starting the FLAC rip is to generate a CUE sheet

Why would you create a CUE sheet for files you are about to delete anyway? Of course you'll get a "not found error" since the CUE contains the paths to the wav files you just deleted.
I think what you want to do is to create a CUE for the output flac files, i'm sure there's an option somewhere in EAC to do that.

Reply #2
If you have the albums stored in one file per track anyway, and keep the cue sheets only for archiving or whatever reason, you can also simply exclude *.CUE file type in Preferences.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #3
Why would you create a CUE sheet for files you are about to delete anyway?

So that way I can perfectly reconstruct the CD if I ever want to.  Here, I would convert the FLAC files to WAV, and then use these WAV files plus the cue sheet to reconstruct the CD.

The workflow that I described (create a cue sheet from EAC that is for the WAV files, then do a rip to FLAC files) is what I thought all the guides are telling me to do!  For example:
http://h33tfr33sp33k.h33t.com/index.php?topic=5819.0

Indeed, this example of a cue sheet
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti..._and_Cue_Sheets
also shows WAV files inside it, just like what I have.

Of course you'll get a "not found error" since the CUE contains the paths to the wav files you just deleted.

Then how come the majority of my albums (all of which have these WAV cue sheets) are correctly displayed?

Reply #4
If you have the albums stored in one file per track anyway, and keep the cue sheets only for archiving or whatever reason, you can also simply exclude *.CUE file type in Preferences.

OK, I just found out that if under File --> Preferences --> Media Library I tell fb2k to exclude *.cue, then it removes all of the duplicate entries.

But the question remains: why do only some of my albums have this duplicate listing problem, while others do not?

I assume that it must be an issue with my cue sheets for the ones with duplicate listings.  In my next reply below, I will post the entire cue sheet for one of my albums which has duplicate listings.

OK, below is the entire cue sheet for one of my albums which has duplicate listings.  If anyone can spot an issue with this cue sheet, I would be most grateful.

Code: [Select]
REM GENRE Baroque
REM DATE 1994
REM DISCID C20FA00F
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.95b4"
PERFORMER "Virtuosi di Praga - Richard Steuart (Trumpet)"
TITLE "Biber · Finger · Neruda · Vejvanovsky"
FILE "01 ~ H. I. Franz von Biber (1644-1704) ~ Sonata No. 4 in C major for Trumpet, Strings & Basso Continuo.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "H. I. Franz von Biber (1644-1704) ~ Sonata No. 4 in C major for Trumpet, Stri..."
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "02 ~ Godfrey Finger (1660-1730) ~ Sonata in C for Trumpet, Violin & Basso Continuo.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Godfrey Finger (1660-1730) ~ Sonata in C for Trumpet, Violin & Basso Continuo"
FILE "03 ~ Godfrey Finger (1660-1730) ~ Sonata forTrumpet,Violin, Oboe & Basso Continuo.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Godfrey Finger (1660-1730) ~ Sonata forTrumpet,Violin, Oboe & Basso Continuo"
FILE "04 ~ J. K. Jiri Neruda (ca. 1707-ca. 1780) ~ Concerto in E flat major for Trumpet and String Orchestra - I. Allegro.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "J. K. Jiri Neruda (ca. 1707-ca. 1780) ~ Concerto in E flat major for Trumpet ..."
FILE "05 ~ J. K. Jiri Neruda (ca. 1707-ca. 1780) ~ Concerto in E flat major for Trumpet and String Orchestra - II. Largo.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "J. K. Jiri Neruda (ca. 1707-ca. 1780) ~ Concerto in E flat major for Trumpet ..."
FILE "06 ~ J. K. Jiri Neruda (ca. 1707-ca. 1780) ~ Concerto in E flat major for Trumpet and String Orchestra - III. Vivace.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE "07 ~ P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Sonata.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Sonata"
FILE "08 ~ P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Courante.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Courante"
FILE "09 ~ P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Fuga.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Fuga"
FILE "10 ~ P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Passagio.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Passagio"
FILE "11 ~ P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Saltarello.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Saltarello"
FILE "12 ~ P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Allemanda.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Allemanda"
FILE "13 ~ P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Gigue.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Harmonia romana - Gigue"
FILE "14 ~ P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Sonata a 4.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    TITLE "P. J. Vejvanovsky (ca.1633 -1693) ~ Sonata a 4"
FILE "15 ~ H. I. Franz von Biber (1644-1704) ~ Sonata a 6 for Solo Trumpet, 2 Violins, Cello & Basso Continuo.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 15 AUDIO
    TITLE "H. I. Franz von Biber (1644-1704) ~ Sonata a 6 for Solo Trumpet, 2 Violins, C..."