Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_discogs (Read 1346372 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_discogs

Reply #1900
Hi zoomorph,

I encountered an interesting phenomen:

this release has 3 tracks.
when I select the 3 tracks in f2k and rightclick -> tagging -> discogs -> write tags... (or press the shortcut I selected) the files will be immediately tagged. (dialogs pop up, but get magicially answered/confirmed)
when I sonly select 1 or 2 tracks, then the "release"-window pops up as expected.
I have activated
  • skip find_release dialog, which is skipped, but the "release"-window is also skipped and "write tags" seems to be pressed automaticly.

foo_discogs

Reply #1901
Hi zoomorph,
for this release:

Can you please change it (back), so its working again like expected (showing all tracks)?

Yes, I changed the tracklist parsing algorithm. I have a list of about 20 odd cases that I want it to parse correctly. I found 2-3 cases that weren't working in the last release. Now it seems you've found a new case that isn't working. I'll add this to my list and see if I can get it parsing correctly, thanks!

Technically, this release is not following the Discogs guidelines (it should be 1-1 instead of 1.01, and so on). The problem is that the Discogs guidelines say that using the "dot" is for hidden tracks, not for multiple CDs, yet many old releases are using the wrong notation.

The best solution would be to update the database to fix this. I don't know if that will fly with foo_discogs users, so I may need to add extra logic to catch that case.

Hi zoomorph,

I encountered an interesting phenomen:

this release has 3 tracks.
when I select the 3 tracks in f2k and rightclick -> tagging -> discogs -> write tags... (or press the shortcut I selected) the files will be immediately tagged. (dialogs pop up, but get magicially answered/confirmed)
when I sonly select 1 or 2 tracks, then the "release"-window pops up as expected.
I have activated
  • skip find_release dialog, which is skipped, but the "release"-window is also skipped and "write tags" seems to be pressed automaticly.

This must also be enabled (on matching tab): "Skip release dialog if tracks are matched successfully" :-)

foo_discogs

Reply #1902
I have activated
This must also be enabled (on matching tab): "Skip release dialog if tracks are matched successfully" :-)

Aah 8-) Thank you. I thought that would affect the track matching only, but now I realise, the lower part of the config-window is for track matching only...

btw:
yesterday I tried to understand that "discogs formatting string" script, but I have problems reading/understanding it completely.

Can you pleae explain what exactly it does (or should do) ?

The $multi ifs and ands and nots are confusing me. Also, I don't understand the minus in %DISC_NUMBER%-
Actually, my brain stopped working after the %REPLACE_ANVS%...and I only read the rest of the string in trance %-/
The Hidden_tracks-parts seem interesting too, but what are they doing?

$ifgreater(%RELEASE_TOTAL_DISCS%,1,%DISC_NUMBER%-,)$num(%TRACK_DISC_TRACK_NUMBER%,2) - $multi_if($multi_and(%ARTISTS_NAME_VARIATION%,$multi_not(%REPLACE_ANVS%)),%ARTISTS_NAME_VARIATION%$multi_if(%DISPLAY_ANVS%,*,),%ARTISTS_NAME%) - %TRACK_TITLE%$ifequal(%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%,0,,'  [+'%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%' HIDDEN]')

foo_discogs

Reply #1903
yesterday I tried to understand that "discogs formatting string" script, but I have problems reading/understanding it completely.

Can you pleae explain what exactly it does (or should do) ?

The $multi ifs and ands and nots are confusing me. Also, I don't understand the minus in %DISC_NUMBER%-
Actually, my brain stopped working after the %REPLACE_ANVS%...and I only read the rest of the string in trance %-/
The Hidden_tracks-parts seem interesting too, but what are they doing?

$ifgreater(%RELEASE_TOTAL_DISCS%,1,%DISC_NUMBER%-,)$num(%TRACK_DISC_TRACK_NUMBER%,2) - $multi_if($multi_and(%ARTISTS_NAME_VARIATION%,$multi_not(%REPLACE_ANVS%)),%ARTISTS_NAME_VARIATION%$multi_if(%DISPLAY_ANVS%,*,),%ARTISTS_NAME%) - %TRACK_TITLE%$ifequal(%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%,0,,'  [+'%TRACK_TOTAL_HIDDEN_TRACKS%' HIDDEN]')

That formatting string is what generates the entries in the "Discogs" side of the tracklist. Yes, these things are complex, lol.

IF more than 1 disc on the release, print %DISC_NUMBER%- (the dash comes after the disc number and before the track number)
print %TRACK_DISC_TRACK_NUMBER% (the track number starting at 1 for each disc)

All those ifs and ands are basically figuring out whether to show the ANV replaced or a * beside the ANVs.

Finally, if hidden tracks are available, it prints [+ N HIDDEN] at the end.

foo_discogs

Reply #1904
More fixes: https://www.sendspace.com/file/sca1l2
- Fix tasks outliving parent window on find_release dialog.
- Fix sub-track name parsing.
- Sub-track durations now parsed to track durations and index track duration set to INDEXTRACK_DURATION fields, instead of vice versa. Makes it possible to match tracks on duration with subtracks, now.
- Fix crash when changing replace/display ANV buttons on release dialog.

foo_discogs

Reply #1905
Hi zoomorph,

(skipped) Error: Error writing tags.

[ESCAPE to close]

is it possible to skip this error message, when the updating-tags dialog is canceled (by the user, via pressing the cancel button) ?
because, when the user presses cancel, he knows that the writing will be canceled and its not an error, imho.
so no additional message for confirmation is needed here.

More fixes:

should those tracks not be fixed with this new version?  Or are "Sub-tracks" something completely different as normal track numbering?

Now, a maybe very special feature-request:

fetching and saving album artwork is a very useful feature and I use it frequently.

I save the files with $directory_path(%path%) to the folder where the release is saved, BUT thats only nicely working IF the album lives in only one single folder.
IF a release has more than CD1, or its a CD+DVD, or maybe has bonus tracks (mostly on CD2 or CD3...), then the artwork is only saved in that folder, where the first selected file lives.

So, my feature request would be:
if I have selected 10 files, where 5 live in folder CD1 and 5 in folder CD2, I'd like to save the album art in both folders with the component.
Not to copy the saved artwork files from folder CD1 to CD2 by hand, is my wish :-)

Is this maybe already possible, maybe with something like $directory_path(<%path%>)?
(I did'nt tested it, because I don't want to accidentially nuke my harddrive playing around with < > ...)

foo_discogs

Reply #1906
My optinion: When the REMIXED_BY tag is delivered empty by discoGS Api (or emptied by the users custom string), then its fine&correct to write an empty tag to the file, or erase the tag). The tag should not be removed when the formatting string field is left empty.
I see, you're saying that tags should be erased by formatting strings that resolve to an empty string, as long as they aren't a blank formatting string?
yes.

In the settings, I added an option to remove existing tags from tracks before writing tags (with a possible list of exclusions). I see this ability to erase individual tags with a blank formatting string as being complementary; it allows deletion in advance of a specific tag, instead of everything but a specific tag.
i have seen this and wondered: what tags would I remove...and my guess was: any old doublettes or tags which have been renamed. In my case I would delete i.e. DISCOGS_ARTIST_ANVS, because its now DISCOGS_ARTISTS_ALL_NAME_VARIATIONS.  I also decided, that this is a very useful feature, but I'll won't use it the next months, because tag names can change with every new beta and I'm still learning and going deeper into the discogs thing ;-)
also, why should I remove an "old" tag which is in 98% of my files and the "new" tag is only in 2%? I'll think about that again, when "updating tags" is ready to test.

In my view, the user should just not set a blank tag formatting string if that's not what they want.
Why would you even create tags with an empty formatting string? I think some are there by default (COMMENT, etc) because they are in the foobar2000 properties window, but they are disabled. The intent was that users could enable and specify those tags if they desired, but by default foo_discogs didn't write them.
Well,
You wrote "With great power comes great responsibility", but I would say: "With great knowledge comes great responsibility".
The formatting strings were empty by default (and disabled), so it seems, I had enabled them, not knowing what would happen.
So the power is in your hand to give the user a nice and easy hand to delete tags (good*: with your option "remove any pre-existing tags") by activating a checkbox with a helping understandable text, or...bad*: just assume the user knows what you know and think like you think...which will fail. always :-)

*good/bad are meant technically, not personal ;-)

now, the component has 2 ways to erase tags. one in the configuration with a helping text and one in the "edit tags mapping"-window without any (contextual) help for the user, which is -for me- confusing.

but I have learned my lesson and hopefully won't delete any important tags the next time ;-)

Yes, I changed the tracklist parsing algorithm. I have a list of about 20 odd cases that I want it to parse correctly. I found 2-3 cases that weren't working in the last release. Now it seems you've found a new case that isn't working. I'll add this to my list and see if I can get it parsing correctly, thanks!

can you add this tracknumbering too, please?

foo_discogs

Reply #1907
[I have installed Windows 10 and reinstalled Foobar and Discogs]
1. Do I need to re-initialize something before being able to use Discogs?
2. How can I use this in Foobar to rip CDs?

foo_discogs

Reply #1908
i have seen this and wondered: what tags would I remove...and my guess was: any old doublettes or tags which have been renamed. In my case I would delete i.e. DISCOGS_ARTIST_ANVS, because its now DISCOGS_ARTISTS_ALL_NAME_VARIATIONS.  I also decided, that this is a very useful feature, but I'll won't use it the next months, because tag names can change with every new beta and I'm still learning and going deeper into the discogs thing ;-)
also, why should I remove an "old" tag which is in 98% of my files and the "new" tag is only in 2%? I'll think about that again, when "updating tags" is ready to test.

I think this ability is mostly useful for users who are downloading files before tagging them, or whose files are tagged by other software, or such. They may want to delete tags like COMMENT or others that are sometimes are set.

If you want to rename a tag like DISCOGS_ARTIST_ANVS to DISCOGS_ARTISTS_ALL_NAME_VARIATIONS in all tracks, you could just select all files in foobar2000 then use the properties window to make that change all at once.

Or, if you prefer to use the old tag name, you could change the new default tag name from DISCOGS_ARTISTS_ALL_NAME_VARIATIONS to DISCOGS_ARTIST_ANVS in the tag mapping settings, if you prefer it. :-)

now, the component has 2 ways to erase tags. one in the configuration with a helping text and one in the "edit tags mapping"-window without any (contextual) help for the user, which is -for me- confusing.

You are right, maybe there's a way to make it more intuitive.

Is there a problem there? The way the tracks are numbered, it seems like CD2 is a single file with 29 tracks hidden inside it. If that's not actually the case, if it's supposed to be 29 separate files, they should be numbered like 2-1, 2-2, etc, instead.

foo_discogs

Reply #1909
[I have installed Windows 10 and reinstalled Foobar and Discogs]
1. Do I need to re-initialize something before being able to use Discogs?
2. How can I use this in Foobar to rip CDs?

1. You'll need to configure OAuth before using foo_discogs. (It will prompt you the first time you try to use it.)
2. foo_discogs does not rip CDs, it tags audio files. You should use an external program such as Exact Audio Copy for ripping CDs.

foo_discogs

Reply #1910
More fixes:

should those tracks not be fixed with this new version?  Or are "Sub-tracks" something completely different as normal track numbering?

No, there was a bug parsing actual subtrack names in Discogs tracklist. This release you linked doesn't have any subtracks, only headings and regular tracks.

The problem with this release is that the track positions are entered incorrectly on Discogs. 1.01 should be changed to 1-1, and so on.

fetching and saving album artwork is a very useful feature and I use it frequently.

I save the files with $directory_path(%path%) to the folder where the release is saved, BUT thats only nicely working IF the album lives in only one single folder.
IF a release has more than CD1, or its a CD+DVD, or maybe has bonus tracks (mostly on CD2 or CD3...), then the artwork is only saved in that folder, where the first selected file lives.

So, my feature request would be:
if I have selected 10 files, where 5 live in folder CD1 and 5 in folder CD2, I'd like to save the album art in both folders with the component.
Not to copy the saved artwork files from folder CD1 to CD2 by hand, is my wish :-)

Is this maybe already possible, maybe with something like $directory_path(<%path%>)?
(I did'nt tested it, because I don't want to accidentially nuke my harddrive playing around with < > ...)

Ah, you've pointed out a good problem. Currently the directory is formed based on the first track, only. I should change this to provide a way to return multiple directories and allow saving the artwork in all of them.

foo_discogs

Reply #1911
How can I fix this?
dunno,
this it how it looks here and its working fine:

No, it doesn't work this way. If you put %filename%_cover it saves filename_cover.jpg (whatever filename is) and foobar doesn't find the album art.
Foobar needs album.jpg
It seems that the new version of the plugin doesn't recognize the variable %album% This is the problem.

foo_discogs

Reply #1912
No, it doesn't work this way. If you put %filename%_cover it saves filename_cover.jpg (whatever filename is) and foobar doesn't find the album art.
Foobar needs album.jpg
It seems that the new version of the plugin doesn't recognize the variable %album% This is the problem.

it does work here, nearly perfectly, because I have set up foobar to show every imagefile, with this mask *_cover.*
you can set up more things like a filemask for frontcover, backcover, artist-images, etc. very flexible.
i'm unsure right now, if i have done this with a artwork-component, or if its a foobar internal feature, because computer is off atm :-)

and its not a problem of the discogs component. the component just saves the image file it fetches to a location you choose, with a filename you choose. its up to you, to set the artwork-reading-component or foobar to this location and customize the filenames to check correctly.

please check the forum search with words like: album art panel image file location path
or just type album art now shown ;-)

foo_discogs

Reply #1913
Hi zoomorph,
Is there a problem there? The way the tracks are numbered, it seems like CD2 is a single file with 29 tracks hidden inside it. If that's not actually the case, if it's supposed to be 29 separate files, they should be numbered like 2-1, 2-2, etc, instead.

Yes, there is a problem, because, as you wrote, those are individual files (at least at my HD) and imho, there must be an option for the user to expand those hidden files to "real" tracks.
Otherwise we cannot tag releases, where we have splitted a CD-MIX into seperate files, according the tracklist of the discogs release.

A lot of releases of DJ Mixes or ambient music for instance come as a big file, but with a .cue file which acts as a "playlist", when opened in foobar. But you can split the big file into separate tracks too in foobar, to have them ... separate from the mix :-)

I'd like to be able to tag all the spearated single files like in the release-list from discogs, independed wether they are marked as hidden or not.

So, for the above release, when a user has 29 single tracks for CD2 then he cannot tag them, because the component merged information for each single tack it gets from the API to a single (useless hidden) track.

In addition to that, now, only the first file of the second CD will be updated with poor information, because the updated file does not contain any tag with all the tracknames of the CD-MIX. (at least here with my testing, maybe I did something wrong.)

So I conclude:  :-)
The component should offer 2 methods for hidden tracks:

-write all hidden tracknames in the big single file (maybe as a new tag)
or
-split the hidden track into single tracks and tag all the single files accordingly.

Of course, the user should have the choice to chose what he needs for his local file or files.

foo_discogs

Reply #1914
Hi zoomorph,

this release shows tracks 2, 3, 5, 8 fine on the website:

but after tagging with the component, its looks this way in foobar2000:

(name space comma space name
instead of
name comma space name)

the properties show:

I guess the names should be separated with a ; semicolon, instead of an , comma?

I remember, there was a advanced setting in the preferences in foobar, where the use could set the semicolon as a field separator, which is the default in foobar2000, but I cannot find it at the moment...

When I change "Bruno Cardoso , Lydie Barbara" to "Bruno Cardoso; Lydie Barbara" by hand in the properties, it looks correct.

Is there any chance to separate the artists with a semicolon instead of a comma? It seems, the formatting string does not offer something like that, but I'm not sure.

foo_discogs

Reply #1915
Hi,
I'm new to foobar and started to use foo_discogs yesterday.  My first album, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, encountered the HIDDEN tracks problem.  It was the Ode Records, vinyl album, 1975, US, OSV-21653, and Discogs ID: 5576539.  Discogs shows tracks [B3a], [B3b], [B3c], [B4], etc.  After the Find Release window the Release window tracklist lists track [B3a] and says +2 HIDDEN at the end then lists track [B4].  I hope this helps to find a fix.

Is there a feature that allows only specific tags to be written?  For example, I'd only want the artist to be written for some soundtrack albums.  It doesn't appear that Edit Tag Mapping would do it.  Thanks.

Gary

foo_discogs

Reply #1917
Hi zoomorph,
here is another release, which shows wrong HIDDEN tracks:

Is it possible to implement an
  • option for the user, to just ignore the hidden-tracks feature and only show the tracks in their listed order (regardingless of the numbering) ?
    (the sequence of the tracks from the website and the API might be different, I don't know, but we alway can sort the tracks order by hand.)

Now&here, its not possible to tag 5 albums out of 10, which is....very...inconvenient and not satisfying, because tagging is the purpose of this cool component :-)

foo_discogs

Reply #1918
Hi zoomorph,
here are two (1, 2) examples which I can imagine, it is difficult/complex to implement a "correct" listing (AND tagging) of the tracks.
For me, I wish something like a merging of the tracknames, like (from example 1)

Code: [Select]
"A1a, A1b, A1c" ("Wem Gott Will Rechte Gunst Erweisen, Üb' Immer Treu' Und Redlichkeit, Ein Männlein Steht Im Walde")

or
"A1a / A1b / A1c" ("Wem Gott Will Rechte Gunst Erweisen / Üb' Immer Treu' Und Redlichkeit / Ein Männlein Steht Im Walde")

Which would be the resulting trackname for A1

I guess, this way, the tracknames could be very (too?) long, but no information would be cutted out or missing. (which is very needful, while searching for particular tracks in the f2k search)

This is what I do by hand right now: copy all the single tracknames of each track and seperate them with " - " or " / " or ";" and take the track-header (if any) and copy it before or after the resulting trackname. i.e. Foxtrott: Wem Gott Will ....

I could imagine something like keep only the first trackname in the resulting track, but that just a bad compromise on the tag-length
"A1a..." ("Wem Gott Will Rechte Gunst Erweisen...")

I guess, there will be no "best" way to realise an automated taggin mechanism which covers all the whiches/needs, so I would prefer several different methods, choosable by the user :-)
If method A is not satisfying the user, he can try method B or C or even D. (the methods may be no complete themselfes, but testable anyways)

I really hope, you will give us the chance to test any code you have written ;-))

p.s. another HIDDEN variant.

foo_discogs

Reply #1919
Hi zoomorph,

a minor thing:

Artists searching for " Kelis" will not return results for "Kelis" as expected, but results for "Rick Kelis".

Is it possible to trim the searchterm (" Kelis" -> "Kelis") before submitting the search?

foo_discogs

Reply #1920
Hi zoomorph,
in addition to this post,
here is another example. clicking any release (for "moving pictures") will always go to the master release.

cheers,

foo_discogs

Reply #1922
Hi, I've just started using this excellent plugin once again (been a few years since I tidied up my music collection).

I have three questions about the album art:

1. All the art it downloads seems to be very low resolution (eg 600x600 pixels). That seems a little small, and it's hard to even read text sometimes at that resolution. Is there any easy way to achieve higher resolution images? (Without scanning the artwork myself, obviously.)

2. "Back" artwork is being named "cover_2" or "cover_3" etc. To me, the back artwork is almost as important as the cover and I like it to be specially titled so that I can easily click the cover to see the back. Can anything be done about this?

3. Sometimes there aren't even images of the back, not even for very famous artists. Can anything be done about this?

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember using the Discogs plugin a few years ago and there being a lot more choice in terms of images, and larger images. Though maybe I'm thinking of some other plugin?

By the way, when I use the plugin to search for an album, there's usually an asterisk next to the "right" album. What is this asterisk supposed to represent, just out of interest?

Thanks

foo_discogs

Reply #1923
Might have been asked before but I would appreciate that files are not rewritten while updating when no tag has changed, on a per file bases. Cheers.

foo_discogs

Reply #1924
"Removing pre-existing tags" option do not clear itune or comment tags. Would be nice to remove everything.
Also plugin deadly need embedded cover option!