IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

LAME 3.99.5 VBR FAILS at song length, VBR option does not seem to give a valid length
bsperan
post Mar 16 2013, 02:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107243

For years I've been using old software without VBR. Recently, I found myself editing audio and I was excited to use VBR.

After downloading and installing the latest LAME release (3.99.5), I read the documentation and tried to encode some waves.

However, no matter what options I seem to use (and I've tried many different options, including various "MP3 header/stream options"), whatever variable bit rate MP3 I produce gives Winamp a false indication of length. (Specifically, in Winamp v5.601.)

For example, if I encode a .WAV of length 2:16 (2 minutes, 16 seconds), it will produce an MP3 that Winamp identifies as having a length of 7:52.

Now, I realize that I could update my Winamp to a more recent version. However, 1) there are plenty of others out there who use similar outdated decoder software and 2) I am perfectly happy with the Winamp I'm using.

Further, I have never before encountered a problem with a VBR encoded MP3 not displaying the length properly. And I have played a -lot- of different MP3's! This tells me that other people (mostly musicians) are using software to encode their MP3s with VBR in a way that does not confuse my Winamp.

So, please, can somebody tell me what options to use to produce a VBR MP3 that does not confuse older software? Do I need to install an older version of LAME, or what?

At this point, I feel like giving up on LAME or even VBR and going with something else.

This post has been edited by bsperan: Mar 16 2013, 02:42
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 05:55