Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

surface mount resistor advice, smt resistors vs through hole audio quality
john11
post Mar 4 2013, 08:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88511

Hi and thanks for reading this post.

I have a few blown one watt resistors i want to replace in my power amp and am thinking about using surface mount resistors.

Do you think this is a wise move switching from through hole to surface mount, has anyone done this and what are your experiences concerning sound quality changes.

Many thanks in advance. John.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Glenn Gundlach
post Mar 4 2013, 10:50
Post #2

Member No.: 52914

You don't mean 1 Watt surface mount right? They don't exist at DigiKey which means they may not exist at all.

Why would you think of changing through hole resistors to SMT? If you were designing a new board it would make sense but to try to replace axial resistors with SMT would be extraordinarily tedious. After all that trouble what would you accomplish besides voiding the warranty?

If you were suggesting replacing carbon films with metal films MAYBE it _could_ be worth the effort but if designed properly it shouldn't be a carbon vs metal because the operating impedances internally would swamp out the Johnson noise of the resistors.

Bottom line - if it works leave it alone but you should find out WHY the 1 Watt resistors failed as that is not at all typical.

G
+Quote Post
wood11
post Mar 27 2013, 14:54
Post #3

Member No.: 107413

QUOTE (Glenn Gundlach @ Mar 4 2013, 10:50) *
You don't mean 1 Watt surface mount right? They don't exist at DigiKey which means they may not exist at all.

Why would you think of changing through hole resistors to SMT? If you were designing a new board it would make sense but to try to replace axial resistors with SMT would be extraordinarily tedious. After all that trouble what would you accomplish besides voiding the warranty?

If you were suggesting replacing carbon films with metal films MAYBE it _could_ be worth the effort but if designed properly it shouldn't be a carbon vs metal because the operating impedances internally would swamp out the Johnson noise of the resistors.

Bottom line - if it works leave it alone but you should find out WHY the 1 Watt resistors failed as that is not at all typical.

G

I also totally agree with you. Replacing Carbon film resistor with metal films could be worth effort than replacing axial resistor with a SMD resistor.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 09:06