Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

surface mount resistor advice, smt resistors vs through hole audio quality
john11
post Mar 4 2013, 08:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88511

Hi and thanks for reading this post.

I have a few blown one watt resistors i want to replace in my power amp and am thinking about using surface mount resistors.

Do you think this is a wise move switching from through hole to surface mount, has anyone done this and what are your experiences concerning sound quality changes.

Many thanks in advance. John.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
pdq
post Mar 6 2013, 14:23
Post #2

Member No.: 24233

One point to consider - If the through-hole resistor made contact with a trace on the bottom of the board, and if you replace it with a surface-mount resistor that only contacts the top of the board, then you are depending on the through-hole plating, plus solder, if any, that fills the hole, for electrical contact. This could make for a very unreliable connection, especially if the act of removing the old resistor damages the through-hole.

In other words, don't do it.

+Quote Post
Glenn Gundlach
post Mar 7 2013, 04:43
Post #3

Member No.: 52914

If the vias (those holes for the sole purpose of changing layers on a PC board) were unreliable, your computer absolutely would not work because it can't be done as a 1 layer board. I used to lay out PC boards and 2 and 4 layer boards are pretty common particularly in computers. The only time I find problems with the actual PC boards is from capacitor leakage that doesn't get cleaned off. At that it takes years to rot the board.

I agree with the "don't do it" advice but not because of the plated through holes on boards.

G
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 22:00