IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Question about Converter and encoders, Does order of switches matter?
EpicForever
post Feb 22 2013, 23:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 93712

I love foobar's "Converter" option. I tried to tune compression options beyond built-in presets with encoders command line switches - like in EAC. But after several tries I'm not sure weather some options really work. Encoders like LAME or FLAC have many available command line switches. Does order of them matter? I mean - is it possible, that putting some switch after another one can disable the one that is latter (effectively exclude it from processing options)? For example - does matter if "--sector-align" option in FLAC is the last one (after all "-T" switches for tags) or before them? Does it matter if "-V" (verification) switch is before or after compression parameters (like "-8", "-A")? I tried to read FLAC documentation but I see there only general explanations of all switches, but no info about revelance of their order. And how about the same question for LAME? And what if used switches explicitly exclude each other (like setting generally mid quality preset "--preset medium" and switch "-q0" which generally gives best available quality, or setting "-h", which is equivalent of "-q2" and "q0" one after another)?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Mar 1 2013, 21:07
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (EpicForever @ Feb 22 2013, 17:30) *
I love foobar's "Converter" option. I tried to tune compression options beyond built-in presets with encoders command line switches - like in EAC. But after several tries I'm not sure weather some options really work. Encoders like LAME or FLAC have many available command line switches. Does order of them matter?

You are really talking about how programs are written. More specifically you are talking about command line parsing.

The general rule is to parse the command line and then if the parsed command line makes sense, do what it directs.

In general parameters are parsed one at a time in the order given. If a several parameters change the same setting, then usually the last instance of that parameter change rules.

All of this is the discretion of the program designer/coder. If someone wants to be sloppy or anal, that is what happens. If someone wanted to parse in reverse order, so be it.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 10:14