Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Small speakers + sub w/ room correction
googlebot
post Feb 16 2013, 19:06
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78779

Hi guys,

to be honest, I do not associate audio enthusiasm with nitpicking about codec details anymore. The available options are mature and for anything else storage is cheap. I'm also not interested in Redbook vs. Vinyl vs. Hires discussions anymore.

I would be much more enthusiastic to discuss stuff that's nowadays still far from perfect: physical playback.

Even the best speakers might be a bad match for a specific room, we cannot discuss such in general manner. But what about integrated, microphone based room correction systems? I'm looking for an integrated package with preferably very small satellites and a sub. A digital filter should be parameterized by exact knowledge of all relevant speaker parameters and actual room measurements from a microphone. The system should be able to calculate a compromise for several listening positions.

What are my options? Any experiences?

googlebot
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
honestguv
post Feb 17 2013, 14:55
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46091

QUOTE (googlebot @ Feb 16 2013, 19:06) *
I would be much more enthusiastic to discuss stuff that's nowadays still far from perfect: physical playback.

Even the best speakers might be a bad match for a specific room, we cannot discuss such in general manner. But what about integrated, microphone based room correction systems? I'm looking for an integrated package with preferably very small satellites and a sub. A digital filter should be parameterized by exact knowledge of all relevant speaker parameters and actual room measurements from a microphone. The system should be able to calculate a compromise for several listening positions.

What are my options? Any experiences?

Firstly, size matters with speakers. In order to hand over to a sub in the 60-80Hz range and playback cleanly at reference SPL never mind concert levels the midwoofer/woofer needs to be at least 5"-6" and preferably more. This is not a small satellite.

Below the 60-80 Hz range multiple subwoofers can be used to even out the room response around the listening location. One can often do fairly well with 2 but 4 is more common number. Computers can be used to work out the optimum location, phase and gain for each subwoofer. Frequency response modification of the subwoofers may also be included.

As a general sweeping statement: electronic correction can improve a room response but it cannot fix it. If you want a good low frequency response for most rooms you will have to use physical room treatment to remove energy from the problematic modes.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 13:09