IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The world's best-sounding stereo system?, NBCNews Tech & Gadgets article about Quad Electrostatic speakers
2tec
post Feb 8 2013, 16:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 51676

"When I finally sat down to listen I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was the best sound I’ve ever heard in my home — and I’ve had some unbelievable sound systems in my living rooms over the years." ~ www.nbcnews.com

Ken Kessler article mentioned in above (PDF)

This post has been edited by 2tec: Feb 8 2013, 16:50

--------------------
Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence~Potter Stewart
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
MikeFord
post Apr 19 2013, 22:49
Post #2

Member No.: 14241

I've had ESL57's, still have ESL63's including an Enigma dipole sub, currently listening to Klipsch Forte as a change of pace.

I don't see how any meaningful discussion of the merits of the Quad speakers can be done within the constraints of the TOS, but I like them, preferred them to all others for a good two decades.

There are two schools of thought on speaker response, flat to 20k, and rolled off above 16k at the listening position (but maybe better at 1M or something). If your over 40 does it even matter?

Quads are 86.5db 1w sensitivity, and go into protection mode around 140 watts, not loud.

Despite spending $3k on a great subwoofer, something about dipole bass even when it measures flat fails to satisfy. Perhaps someone can help me out here with a reference to a study comparing dipole bass and sealed box, something perhaps about room mode interactions.

Quads are very accurate, low in distortion. Love them or hate them, they have been a reference design since there creation, not in the how to do it sense, but used as a real comparison in listening tests.
+Quote Post
chicks
post Apr 23 2013, 17:06
Post #3

Member No.: 106168

I run my ESL-63s without a sub, don't feel they need one. But then I listen primarily to '50's jazz; I leave the thumping stuff for the idiots in cars passing by, who will be deaf by the time they're 30.

I believe the ESL-63s like a very large room. My listening room it about 15' X 30', with sloping ceiling up to 12' max. The '63s are pulled out about 3' from the back wall, and about 3' from the side walls (thought they can be placed right against side walls, as they're dipoles). I use absorption panels on the walls behind them.

I'm using a Kenwood Supreme 600 integrated amp, which is rated at 130Wpc into 8 ohms. Appears to be a pretty good match, have never even come close to triggering the protection in the '63s.

These are fairly new to me, but I expect these to be the last speakers I'll ever need. Haven't heard any others that, for the kind of music I enjoy, perform better. Ultra low distortion and the lack of crossovers are the key, I believe, to their clarity.

This post has been edited by db1989: Apr 23 2013, 17:10
Reason for edit: deleting pointless full quote of above post
+Quote Post
MikeFord
post Apr 25 2013, 07:02
Post #4

Member No.: 14241

For the dipole drivers in the ESL63 to reproduce frequencies below 100hz at even moderate levels the panel needs to move back and forth enough to create IM. A good subwoofer crossed at 80 to 100hz removes the need for the movement in the ESL63 with a corresponding drop in IM.

OTOH bass extension and thump were a total disappointment, not what I expected anyway. I ended up playing a lot more piano than organ or drums, which is as far I as can tread in shaky TOS land.

This post has been edited by db1989: Apr 25 2013, 18:52
Reason for edit: ditto
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Apr 26 2013, 13:32
Post #5

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (MikeFord @ Apr 25 2013, 02:02) *
For the dipole drivers in the ESL63 to reproduce frequencies below 100hz at even moderate levels the panel needs to move back and forth enough to create IM. A good subwoofer crossed at 80 to 100hz removes the need for the movement in the ESL63 with a corresponding drop in IM.

Good point. The ESL 63 driver is limited in the area/displacement regime as compared to a SOTA subwoofer such as 4 drivers with Xmax = 30 mm.

The system designer has the choice to invest this capability in doing what the ESL 63 does uniquely and well which most agree is above 100 Hz, or to try to make ESL 63s into what they are not and can never be.

Fear of crossovers and bass management is usually irrational.

IME the benefits of a good bass management system composed of crossovers, matrixes, appropriate drivers, room design and sonic treatments are readily measurable and audible.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 16:45